HAIR LOSS

stuffed_animal
on 11/8/14 7:18 am

I had surgery first of June, and have lost about 48 pounds...slow going because I started out at 197. In the last 3 months, I have really slowed down but my hair is falling out in fistful...almost. Since surgery I have taken Biotin, Flaxseed oil, & Pro Omega and eat about 80 grams of protein a day....550 calories, 20 gr. carbs, about 70-90 oz. of liquid...mostly water. I had thick hair fairly long. Now it is very sparce and short without having it cut in over a year, because it doesn't stay on my head long enough to get long. Every brushing & esp. shampoo I loose wads of hair. I have about 22 pounds to loose still, which at my rate will take another 4 months at least. Unless I can figure out what to do, I will be bald before then. (Somehow I feel even worse as I will be traveling in Mexico & Spain....I know, female vanity) I need to hear from those with this experience. How long does the hair loosing last? Is there anything I am not doing that might stop the loss? How long after I have reached my goal and am on maintenance before it grows back thicker? Does it grow back thicker? (I live over 300 miles from the nearest "hair" facility...nearly impossible to go to any, if they even work) thank you very much to those *****ply

Eggface
on 11/9/14 10:01 am - Sunny Southern, CA

:( It's hard I know... I remember freaking out everytime I took a shower. I had thick hair but it was a lot more loss than I thought it would be... people didn't notice but I knew... they were too busy looking at my body changes and commenting on that.

If it happens it's typically between month 3 and 6 (for me it was month 4-6) it's result of stress of having surgery, nutritional drop, just our bodies reaction to stress in general. Good news is it stops pretty abruptly usually...  adequate intake of protein, vitamins and minerals will help to ensure hair regrowth so concentrate on getting in those and it sounds like you are. There are shampoos that "thicken" your hair but really they are expensive and ehhh not much of a difference. Celebrate Vitamins makes a Hair & Nails Vitamin that might be something to add. I'd spend money on that before any shampoo for sure. http://www.celebratevitamins.com/shop/featured-products/hair -skin-nails-30-day.html I'm sure you are following your plan? but 500 cals seems pretty low. 

Weight Loss Surgery Friendly Recipes & Rambling
www.theworldaccordingtoeggface.com

ree224
on 11/14/14 8:47 am

I am going through the same.  I had my surgery July1 and it started about 3 months out, and I lose so much each day.  It has slowed and I keep checking for new growth, but not seeing much.  I take vitamins faithfully including the biotin and hit my protein goals.  I keep hoping with it slowing down, it will stop soon.  I joke that I can get different wigs to match my personality in the morning...lol.  best of luck, if you find something I would sure like to know myself.

stuffed_animal
on 11/15/14 10:19 am

I may have found something since I wrote last.  B'iota (contains herbal complex Bioxsine...whatever that is) used with their "Advanced Herbal Serum"  I used this briefly and it seemed to work.  Then I had what was left of my hair trimmed and was introduced to Clinicure, a three part treatment for thinning & damaged hair.  Switched to that.  It seems to be working also.  By working, I mean that not nearly the amount of hair is in the drain or hairbrush.  Too soon to see a difference on my head.  Clinicure is made by Joico Labratories in L.A. Calif. 

Dagne Tripplehorn
on 1/3/15 8:45 am - OR
RNY on 04/06/12

My hair had already been thinning moderately from age and meds. After RNY in 2011 my front and top went nearly bald. I used biotin and grew a thick, lustrous beard. I stopped the biotin but the beard remains and the scalp is still pretty bald. So my hair loss lasted forever and biotin backfired. I've had to use wigs and half wigs and I never see people with a bare head. It's a bummer.

Biotin does work for some people, with or without the facial hair. If you're young and have lots of hormones, your hair will probably come back. 

stuffed_animal
on 1/4/15 4:33 am

My hair is really coming back!!!  I am now taking Nioxin 2, shampoo & conditioner & 2 leave-on followups.  It turned out the "Clinicure"  I mentioned I tried before, absolutely did not work.  I had tried "B'iota", which seemed to work, stopped to take Clinicure but after a week was loosing large amounts, so decided to try Nioxin with great success.  I don't know it would help you, Dagne, might be worth a try.  I don't have the facial hair problem, still taking Biotin etc.  I have stalled at 145 pounds so that might stop the hair loss...no way of knowing. 

cspotrun
on 1/4/15 4:52 am
RNY on 07/01/14

I just hit 6 months and lost tons of hair from months 2-5 1/2.  It really just stopped and now I look like a chia pet with the new growth.  I keep having to dye my hair because there is so much regrowth and my longer hair is thinner so not covering it as well.  I will say nobody noticed my thinner hair, but I lost at least half my hair judging from the number of times I had to twist a ponytail to hold my hair.  Anyway, as the vets always say, it comes back, and I'm glad to be on the other side of it.  Happy you are too!

Karen   

stuffed_animal
on 1/4/15 6:57 am

congrats, cspotrun, on your hair re-growth and esp. your weight loss, which is spectacular!  Love the chia animal description.  My hair part has actually changed sides....I say my polarity has switched.  For a while I thought the only weight I was loosing was my tits & my hair.  But I too feel great and after the psychological effects of being obese for 35 years, not to mention diabetes, I can put up with temporary hair loss and the struggle to loose the last 15 pounds.  

cspotrun
on 1/4/15 7:00 am
RNY on 07/01/14

You definitely can do this!!!

Karen   

mariarturner
on 1/26/15 12:03 am

Try vita4life’s Hair Skin and Nail vitamin. This is really good at improving the hair conditions. This product helped to my sister to get her hair back. I am sure it will help you too, if you try them.

Most Active