Alternative for sucralose and stevia?

etiedeman
on 4/3/15 2:38 am

I'm new here and am hoping for some help. I am scheduled for RNY on April 14 - 11 days from now. I started my pre-op diet this morning. The dietitian sent me home last night with Bariatric Advantage shakes, bars and soup.

Here's the issue: Sucralose (and other artificial sweeteners) are huge migraine triggers for me. They have been as long as I remember, even before I started gaining weight. AND I'm allergic to Stevia - it makes my mouth and throat itch and I get sores in my mouth.

Does anyone know of any other alternatives as far as sweeteners go? I told the dietitian I'd at least try the shake and I'm already feeling the migraine aura coming on - I'm starting to lose words and the pressure is developing behind my eye.

I'm even considering cancelling my surgery. If I'm not allowed to have sugar anymore and can't use any of the alternatives, I'm going to be miserable. I wonder if it would be better to be morbidly obese, dying and happy eating what I want than to be healthy and miserable.

WereYorkie
on 4/3/15 5:30 pm
VSG on 05/11/15

Have you tried Monk Fruit?

And the answer to that last statement... no. It would not be better to die of morbid obesity. Are you truly happy "eating what you want"? Because it seems to be slowly killing you instead.

Demand from the Dietician to give you other alternatives. That's part of her job. Do not let this stop you. You've worked to get to this point. As for this weekend... are you allowed regular food? Have you cut out sodas? Flour? Processed foods?

Every pre-op diet is different. If you can give us some more info on what they want, I'm sure the group can voice some alternative ideas for you. That's what we are here for! :)

((PS---I hope the migraine goes away soon))

etiedeman
on 4/4/15 1:12 pm, edited 4/4/15 1:12 pm

I have not tried Monk Fruit, but I did see it at the grocery store the other day. I will have to get some and try it. 

I was happy being able to get what I want to eat on demand. I was happy not counting calories or worrying about proteins and sugars. I was happy not having to hide half of my friends' facebook posts because they have to do with food that I'll probably never be able to enjoy again. 

I woke up with the migraine this morning and decided to not go near the sucralose-containing mixes again. I, instead, made my own smoothie (fage total 0%, 1 serving unflavored protein powder, 3 strawberries, a few slices of frozen peaches). Then two small (1 cup) meals half protein, half green beans. Then a serving of the nasty-ass vegetable soup they gave me. For "snack" I had a spoonful of peanut butter (the kind from Fresh Market where you can grind it on site and it's basically just ground unsalted peanuts). It was the alternative suggested by my dietitian in case I couldn't do the prescribed diet. I'm feeling better migraine-wise, but I'm so hungry, I feel like I might punch someone.

I've been weaning myself off soda since my surgery was confirmed on 3/17. I never was really one for processed foods. I've gone off pasta/bagels/bread cold turkey.

The diet is to shrink my liver and to help me lose a few lbs pre-surgery. High protein/low carb. I'm not going near the shake mixes they gave me again. 

MyLastDitchEffort
on 4/13/15 11:22 am, edited 4/13/15 11:23 am

I make my own shakes too because splenda scares me. One thing I can almost promise you is after a few months of weaning yourself off sodapop and junk food, your taste buds become a lot more sensitive. I make my shakes with a dollop of peanut butter and a banana and it tastes very very sweet like candy to me, whereas in the past it would have tasted pretty boring lol.
hang in there, cause when you start to get your energy and look better etc it will feel worth it to you, and when youre allowed (i dont know much about surgery so I dunno when that is) but when youre allowed to eat a little bit of normal food again youll really and truly start to enjoy things like, a couple strawberries as much as you used to enjoy the other bad stuff.

psren13
on 4/9/15 11:10 am - NC
VSG on 03/11/15

I had to switch to coconut crystals/sugar which I found on Vitacost and Amazon and small offering at Walmart.  No aftertaste.  Not as sweet as the substitutes or real sugar but really sweet we don't need anyway, right.. 

joyoga
on 4/15/15 5:50 am

I get sick off splenda and other artificail sweeteners too.  I am 5 years post-op and sugar has still been a big challenge for me.  Most people I have talked to who have had surgery do not like it post op the way they did pre op.  A cookie can send you into sugar shock where before you could eat a whole stack, but I still like sugar in my coffee.  Honey doesn't work in coffee but it does work in other things.

I found that my food challenges changed after surgery, they didn't go away.  I struggled before with what to eat and what I want to eat and I struggle today.  I have maintained a 70 lb loss from a 90 lb loss but it ain't easy.

Best

etiedeman
on 4/19/15 10:18 am

Thanks, I'm worried about the food challenges, too. I am not one to say no to a good burger and potatoes. I am a horrible cook, so it will probably be even harder! LOL.

I actually changed from the RNY to the VSG because of the sugar challenges. I've heard that the Dumping is rarer with VSG because the pyloric valve is in place.

I'm 6 days post-surgery now and battling a HUGE migraine and major nausea because of all the crap in the "healthy sugar-free liquid diet." All I want is a saltine and some ginger ale to settle my stomach.

Most Active