Non-Dairy Suggestions

H.A.L.A B.
on 3/23/16 12:50 pm

I am on a modified FODMAp/ SCD /SIBO diet. Low carbs. Something that works for me. 

Exhaustion may be related to many things- iron deficiencies, low B12, low D, low proteins, thyroid problems (i.e. due low iodine, selenium,etc) 

I had some of those in the past and got treatment for some (iron infusion,B12 shots )- and increased supplements for some.   Once i discontinued the foods I am allergic - intolerant to - even though I eat less proteins - my blood works shows higher levels. Same with iron. 

B12 - I need weekly B12 shots - and we are not sure why... but as long as my doc has no problem giving me the script - I just get them.. Most People need once a month.. if any.. but for me - that was not enough... 

I do have Adrenal insufficiency... not only i need to make sure i supplement vitamins and minerals, but I also need to be on daily steroids replacement therapy...But even with the steroids - I know what I am late getting the B12 shot..

Hala. RNY 5/14/2008; Happy At Goal =HAG

"I can eat or do anything I want to - as long as I am willing to deal with the consequences"

"Failure is not falling down, It is not getting up once you fell... So pick yourself up, dust yourself off, and start all over again...."

3LittleMonkeys
on 3/14/16 5:48 pm - Aurora, CO
On March 4, 2016 at 7:06 PM Pacific Time, H.a.l.a. B. wrote:

I have SIBO. Forget anything low fat. 

low fat is not good... for you or anyone else. I stay low carbs. 

look into low FODMAP diet (google that) plus google sibo... and diet for sibo. 

I use unsweetened coconut milk or almond milk. The  only OK substitution for dairy- I found Kite Hill product. Not every WF carry them. My WF has some cream cheese. Anything else as substitution - is not really eatable IMO. 

I have dairy allergy, soy allergy and grain intolerance,. 

I tolerate some nuts, and some veggies.  Raw cucumbers, SF pickles, avocado. Coconut oil is great to fry or saute foods.. Eggs are great... 

Nuts that my body tolerate are almonds, coconuts, pecans, some peanuts, and a few walnuts.

Fruits - blueberries are the only ones I can really eat. 

Thank you!  I will look that up.

MyBariatricLife
on 3/4/16 12:43 pm

I am 12+ years out from my gastric bypass and I have ALL kinds of digestive issues, including lactose intolerance. Do not eat cheese and yogurt as they are full of lactose and will kill your gut. Take a good quality probiotic (see consumer reports here). And don't use whey protein if you are still using those. I use two non whey protein powders. One is a vegan protein powder. The other is beef collagen (I am a pescatarian but I make an exception for collagen as it helps my joints). The links that I embedded will take you to my reviews of those products that I published on my website. 

Do not eat low fat. Sugar not fat is the culprit in obesity. Many of the Key Opinion Leaders, doctors who are experts in diet, are telling us to eat many healthy fats like fresh water fish, walnuts, avocados, etc. I just posted under the diet and nutrition section my comments about Dr. Lustig's New York Times best seller Fat Chance: Beating the Odds against Sugar, Processed Food, Obesity and DiseaseYou may read my post here.

Good luck to you! 

Living larger than ever,
My Bariatric Life

Dizzy

3LittleMonkeys
on 3/14/16 5:51 pm - Aurora, CO
On March 4, 2016 at 8:43 PM Pacific Time, MyBariatricLife wrote:

I am 12+ years out from my gastric bypass and I have ALL kinds of digestive issues, including lactose intolerance. Do not eat cheese and yogurt as they are full of lactose and will kill your gut. Take a good quality probiotic (see consumer reports here). And don't use whey protein if you are still using those. I use two non whey protein powders. One is a vegan protein powder. The other is beef collagen (I am a pescatarian but I make an exception for collagen as it helps my joints). The links that I embedded will take you to my reviews of those products that I published on my website. 

Do not eat low fat. Sugar not fat is the culprit in obesity. Many of the Key Opinion Leaders, doctors who are experts in diet, are telling us to eat many healthy fats like fresh water fish, walnuts, avocados, etc. I just posted under the diet and nutrition section my comments about Dr. Lustig's New York Times best seller Fat Chance: Beating the Odds against Sugar, Processed Food, Obesity and DiseaseYou may read my post here.

Good luck to you! 

Fantastic information!  Thank you so much.

MyBariatricLife
on 3/4/16 12:48 pm

BTW how did they determine that you have SIBO? I sure wish the rock star gastroenterologist that I went to had done some sort of testing. He did recommend the FODMAP diet as has been suggested by another community member here. 

Here are three articles that I read just today and found helpful. They may be helpful to you, too. The first is on an IBS diet http://www.healthcentral.com/ibd/c/183517/167489/irritable-s yndrome-progress The second is about an anti inflammatory diet http://www.healthcentral.com/diet-exercise/c/896502/136397/c omponent The third is about healthy gut microbes and was my favorite of the articles http://www.healthcentral.com/obesity/c/92639/179590/obesity- balance-gut-microbes/?ic=edit

Again, wishing you well!

Living larger than ever,
My Bariatric Life

Dizzy

3LittleMonkeys
on 3/14/16 5:58 pm - Aurora, CO

The one GI I saw in the hospital thought that was what I had and put me on probotics and antibiotic round.  When I got out of the hospital, I made an appointment with a GI that I knew (I worked for a period of time filling  in at one of his offices and liked him).  When I went to see him, he reviewed the tests I already had and I was more than half-way through the course of antibiotics.  He agreed with the other GI I saw in the hospital.  He basically, we could do the test (its a breath test and not many facilities do it) but being more than half-way through the course of antibiotics, it didn't make sense.

After I finished the antibiotics, I do feel better.  He also said, don't be surprised if this comes back.  Once you get i*****pically will reoccur every now and then.  He also said, stay on a good probotic.   He mentioned i will probably need to mix that up every couple of months.

MyBariatricLife
on 3/21/16 7:29 pm

Thank you. It makes sense to mix up the probiotics. Thanks for sharing that piece of the doctor's advice. I need to see another gastroenterologist. I have many of the symptoms of SIBO, and even if that is not my issue, SOMETHING is. 

Here is an article on SIBO for anyone who may want to learn more http://chriskresser.com/sibo-what-causes-it-and-why-its-so-h ard-to-treat/ 

Living larger than ever,
My Bariatric Life

Dizzy

MyBariatricLife
on 3/23/16 12:07 pm

BTW what probiotics do you take? Thank you! 

Living larger than ever,
My Bariatric Life

Dizzy

Talkingmountain
on 3/14/16 1:02 pm
RNY on 12/28/15

Have they checked you for Celiac Disease?  It could cause all the symptoms you are mentioning, including lactose intolerance. Many doctors still don't think to look for it if the patient is not having diarrhea, but the fact is that many celiac patients never have any gastrointestinal problems at all.  Celiac disease can be ruled out with a simple blood test nowadays.

As for non-dairy alternatives, here are my favorites (my family and I have tried just about every brand of every product on the market):

• Blue Diamond Almond Breeze, Original Flavor (almond milk with no added sweeteners). Similar in taste/texture to lowfat milk. Everyone in my family loves it, kids & hubbie included.  Can use in any recipe that calls for dairy milk, though puddings will turn out a little less firm.
  • Hemp milk, unsweetened, any brand. Creamier than almond milk.  Can use in any recipe that calls for dairy milk.
  • SoDelicious yogurt, Plain (yogurt made from coconut milk, w/no added sweeteners).
  • Tofutti brand cream cheese and sour cream.  I've tried all the brands out there and these taste the most like the real thing.  Follow Your Heart brand is not bad either.  Some of the other brands are extremely unpleasant.
  • Cheese - Daiya brand has the most loyal following.  I personally find all the commercial non-dairy cheeses to be gross, but home-made ones are truly delicious and melt just like real cheese.  You need a good blender to make them.  Generally they contain tree nuts, which are full of healthy fat, but they can be made lowfat (to be honest though, it doesn't sound like you need to stick to lowfat unless that's essential for the SIBO). Feel free to PM me if you want some tried-and-true recipes.
  • Homemade soy yoghurt.  This is high in protein, unlike yoghurts made from other nondairy milks.  All it takes is a quart of unsweetened soy milk and a little box of yoghurt starter from any health food store. You can find recipes online.  Unfortunately the only unsweetened yoghurt on the market was made by WholeSoy and they have gone out of business.  There are great-tasting sweetened soy yoghurts on the market if you are able to digest that much sugar (I can't).
  • Nondairy creamers - Blue Diamond makes an almond milk creamer; SoDelicious makes a coconut milk creamer; and Silk and I think Pearl makes a soy milk creamer.  I think there are some unsweetened versions.  My favorites are the Pearl & Silk.
  • To substitute the fat, calories, & protein you were getting from cheese, consider raw unsalted nuts & seeds.  My favorites are pistachios, cashews, pecans, walnuts, almonds, brazil nuts, & sunflower seeds.  Eating a handful or two a day has been shown to have many health benefits (as long as they are raw, i.e. not roasted; and not salted).  Brazil nuts seem to go bad faster than others so I keep them in the freezer.  Some people love chia seeds.  Pumpkin seeds are great too but I think they pretty much have to be roasted.

Good luck to you!  I hope you feel better soon!

Ht 5'6" | HW 278 | SW 264, Size 28+/4-5X | GW 135ish, Size 10-12 | CW 132, Size 8-10
Surg Date 12/28/15 | NSV Goal: Go down slide w/kid! 

3LittleMonkeys
on 3/14/16 5:59 pm - Aurora, CO
On March 14, 2016 at 8:02 PM Pacific Time, Talkingmountain wrote:

Have they checked you for Celiac Disease?  It could cause all the symptoms you are mentioning, including lactose intolerance. Many doctors still don't think to look for it if the patient is not having diarrhea, but the fact is that many celiac patients never have any gastrointestinal problems at all.  Celiac disease can be ruled out with a simple blood test nowadays.

As for non-dairy alternatives, here are my favorites (my family and I have tried just about every brand of every product on the market):

• Blue Diamond Almond Breeze, Original Flavor (almond milk with no added sweeteners). Similar in taste/texture to lowfat milk. Everyone in my family loves it, kids & hubbie included.  Can use in any recipe that calls for dairy milk, though puddings will turn out a little less firm.
  • Hemp milk, unsweetened, any brand. Creamier than almond milk.  Can use in any recipe that calls for dairy milk.
  • SoDelicious yogurt, Plain (yogurt made from coconut milk, w/no added sweeteners).
  • Tofutti brand cream cheese and sour cream.  I've tried all the brands out there and these taste the most like the real thing.  Follow Your Heart brand is not bad either.  Some of the other brands are extremely unpleasant.
  • Cheese - Daiya brand has the most loyal following.  I personally find all the commercial non-dairy cheeses to be gross, but home-made ones are truly delicious and melt just like real cheese.  You need a good blender to make them.  Generally they contain tree nuts, which are full of healthy fat, but they can be made lowfat (to be honest though, it doesn't sound like you need to stick to lowfat unless that's essential for the SIBO). Feel free to PM me if you want some tried-and-true recipes.
  • Homemade soy yoghurt.  This is high in protein, unlike yoghurts made from other nondairy milks.  All it takes is a quart of unsweetened soy milk and a little box of yoghurt starter from any health food store. You can find recipes online.  Unfortunately the only unsweetened yoghurt on the market was made by WholeSoy and they have gone out of business.  There are great-tasting sweetened soy yoghurts on the market if you are able to digest that much sugar (I can't).
  • Nondairy creamers - Blue Diamond makes an almond milk creamer; SoDelicious makes a coconut milk creamer; and Silk and I think Pearl makes a soy milk creamer.  I think there are some unsweetened versions.  My favorites are the Pearl & Silk.
  • To substitute the fat, calories, & protein you were getting from cheese, consider raw unsalted nuts & seeds.  My favorites are pistachios, cashews, pecans, walnuts, almonds, brazil nuts, & sunflower seeds.  Eating a handful or two a day has been shown to have many health benefits (as long as they are raw, i.e. not roasted; and not salted).  Brazil nuts seem to go bad faster than others so I keep them in the freezer.  Some people love chia seeds.  Pumpkin seeds are great too but I think they pretty much have to be roasted.

Good luck to you!  I hope you feel better soon!

Actually, they did test me for it and I do not have that.

Most Active