the 'down' side ... ?

Becky D.
on 3/22/11 10:14 am - North Bay, Canada
Hi - I had been following and commenting regularly on here - it is a such a great resource and support tool, though I recently took a little time out

I think I may have hit the 'down side' of enjoying seeing and hearing about the process and excitement of appts and experiences - when people that began the process after me at the same hospital have begun the rest of the process before me (I am thrilled for THEM, just uncomfortable? for me.) The purpose of this post is not to whine, just to ask others how they have coped with these sorts of things in their process, and involvement on the forum.

* have others struggled with this speedbump, discouraged thing, feel a little looked over ???

I should note that I get the triage aspect of the system, and respect it greatly (in fact, my work relies on a similar principal) - I am not a fussy person about things like this in general, though this process sure pushes some new buttons !!!

any advice is welcomed,
Referral Spring/10 ~ Questionnaire Dec 27/10 ~ HRRH Info Session Jan 31/11 ~       Surgeon mtg/Gastric Class April 29/11 ~ Dietician/Social Worker May 30/11 ~
Dr. STARR meeting May 31/11
 ~ INTERNIST JULY 18 / PATTS JULY 19 ~ 
SURGERY AUGUST 19, 2011         My ANGEL is Karen M  

JennR
on 3/22/11 10:21 am
Urgh I know what you mean. My referral was sent from my doctor in September and I don't know what happened but they didn't get it. I never followed up because I thought they were still months and months behind with referrals not realizing that my centre is zipping through them pretty quickly. So January I starting phoning around and the referral got sent back in, I just had my orientation session on Mar 7th. If I had followed up right away back in September I'd probably be within several weeks of surgery right now, as it is now probably October. So yes very frustrating but I have to look at the positive side of it because there is no good of saying 'what if'.

Becky D.
on 3/22/11 10:28 am - North Bay, Canada

I agree with your looking on the positive perspective.
I think it must make me uncomfortable because I am concerned about getting let down - logically I know I am a good candidate - but I have a little whisper that says "don't get too excited" ...
thanks for the response - appreciated.

Referral Spring/10 ~ Questionnaire Dec 27/10 ~ HRRH Info Session Jan 31/11 ~       Surgeon mtg/Gastric Class April 29/11 ~ Dietician/Social Worker May 30/11 ~
Dr. STARR meeting May 31/11
 ~ INTERNIST JULY 18 / PATTS JULY 19 ~ 
SURGERY AUGUST 19, 2011         My ANGEL is Karen M  

Lil-Stinker
on 3/22/11 11:54 am
I know what you mean. When my doctor put the referral in just over a year ago, I was told I would have my operation within 6 months. That 6 months slowly turned into 9 months, then 10, then a year, now 18 months. As time went on, they kept telling me different wait times. Even to this day. It's a long wait, and very discouraging at times. I just keep going, knowing that someday the water is coming to me in this desert lol.
Referral sent on 26 Feb 2010 - Sleep Study on 28 May 2010 - Info session at WMC on 14 Jan 11- Appt with the APN (nurse) on 27 Jan 11 - Dietician and Behaviorist appts on Feb 24. WLS Class 6th April 2011 - Surgeon appt 3 May 2011 Dr Yelle - Surgery June 6th          
sam1am
on 3/22/11 12:26 pm
The only advice I could give is to learn as much as you can while you wait.  Look into all surgeries and see which one fits your lifestyle, needs etc., best.  Learn what you will need to do to make your surgery successful and be prepared to make the necessary changes.  

I had a year's wait, start to finish, and the wait can be excruciating.  I certainly feel for all of you waiting and I hope you get some news soon!

Sandy                                           

"The best way to cheer yourself up is to try to cheer somebody  else up"                     

Mark Twain                                                       LW-Apple-Gold-Small.jpg image by PlicketyCatAnimation One      

Most Active
Recent Topics