plastics done by students/5 year residents

nicholivolkoff
on 4/13/11 6:43 am - Canada
Hello, anyone here in Ontario, preferably near Toronto, have any plastic surgery post weight loss done by plastic surgery students? I am looking for info from someone who actually had this done, or knows someone well who had this done, and how was it?

Thanks a lot, -Michelle
Bonnie ABC
on 4/13/11 11:31 am - Smiths Falls, Canada
RNY on 09/16/08 with
I have not, but I caution those that would consider going to a ps that hasn't had experience with bariatric patients. Our skin, stretched beyond beyond, isn't the same as someone needing a mommy makeover.   I wanted experience, so made my decision based on that.

Bonnie

I can do hard things, life is teaching me that I can.
             Lost 222lbs with rny, 20 lbs regain.

Plastics, July 2010 with Dr. Sauceda in Monterrey, Mexico
ericaFG
on 4/13/11 11:35 am - Cambridge, Canada
Ok - don't get me wrong.  I LOVE a sale.  But there's a couple things I wouldn't do discount:

1) discount laser eye surgery
2) discount vasectomy (for hubby obviously)
3) discount plastics.
Proud Member of the Cambridge Crew!    
HW293/LW147/CW158   Height 5'9"  Working on Maintenance!
Fleur de lis TT and Brachioplasty - Oct. 19, 2010 Breast reduction and scar revision August 2, 2011

Donna C.
on 4/13/11 11:40 am - Durham Region, Canada

HW/SW/CW/Orig GW/New GW   328/311/161/153/142   LOVE my RNY!!!!      

sam1am
on 4/13/11 11:38 am
I have seen some people on the sleeve board (don't remember who at the moment) that were done by students and were very happy with the results.  I think they always have a much more experienced surgeon with them.

Sandy                                           

"The best way to cheer yourself up is to try to cheer somebody  else up"                     

Mark Twain                                                       LW-Apple-Gold-Small.jpg image by PlicketyCatAnimation One      

JennR
on 4/13/11 12:24 pm
I don't have any personal experience with plastics but residents and interns have to get experience somehow. Unless you specify there is always the possibility that someone else may be doing part of a procedure with the experienced doctor standing right beside them. The other doctor is on record as assisting but they get to do some of the procedure. Anyway with plastics I'd be more worried about procedures that need a very fine touch like anything to do on the face but for the panni it wouldn't bother me too much to have the resident do the procedure.

Sean S.
on 4/13/11 2:46 pm - Perkinsfield, Canada
 I have to agree that for the panni, I would be ok with a student........  Really - no matter how bad the mess up, can it really look any worse..........lol
Sean 2.0 - New and Improved.......

sueberman
on 4/13/11 10:31 pm
I'm not sure about plastics, but I've spent a lot of time in Sunnybrook, which is a teaching hospital and where you will see a lot of students.  I've never had a problem and they are overseen by the doctors too and wouldn't be allowed to perform surgery if they weren't competent. 
Sue in Courtice
My angel is Ashleighsmom 

Most Active
Recent Topics