Is it worth while to try optifast now?

Leslie W.
on 4/24/11 4:13 am - Cobourg, Canada
There seems to be a great result with optifast. Is it worthwhile to go on for a few weeks now when I am just strating the process or will the weight just come back? And can my GP order it and where can you get it?

Referral: August 2010 Orientation TWH: May 25, 2011  NP: June 8/11, f/u sleep clinic June 7, abd u/s June 14, SW: June 28/11  Nutrition Class: July 5/11, Dietician Aug 09, Psychologist Aug 25 Surgeon Sept 16th Surgery Date: Oct 11/11 HW:287, Opti wt: 260 SW: 242
My Angel is Sheri TK   
Lisa_Toronto
on 4/24/11 4:17 am - Toronto, Canada
you'd have to get the ok from your doctor - I believe that's the only way to get it.  I have heard of people (Oprah?) losing a lot of weight on it, but gaining it back.   It works for WLS because it's short term and then you have surgery - no time to regain!

weight loss includes 25 lbs before optifast         
Karen M.
on 4/24/11 4:17 am - Mississauga, Canada
Depends.  Are you into self-torture? lol

My thinking is that once you "go off" the shakes, the weight will come back.  As it has for every diet I've ever done.  Maybe start small with changes to what you're doing - track, journal, eliminate pop, sugar, etc.

Just a thought.

Karen

Ontario Recipes Forum - http://www.obesityhelp.com/group/ontario_recipes/

Diminishing Dawn
on 4/24/11 4:20 am - Windsor, Canada
Don't bother.  Make small moves to eat healthier, reduce/limit the caffeine and carbonation and start walking a bit if you want to lose. Don't waste the $ on the shakes and the self torture that ensues.

Dawn

17+ years post op RNY. first year blog here or My LongTimer blog. Tummy Tuck Dr. Matic 2014 -Ohip funded panni Windsor WLS support group.message me anytime!
HW:290 LW:139 RW: 167 CW: 139

tobif
on 4/24/11 5:58 am
Listen to everyone dont do it early.  I started optifast today.....and I had one this morning....then I had chicken broth this afternoon, it is going to be a long 3 weeks...
StevesGal
on 4/24/11 7:56 am - Hamilton, Canada
I agree with everyone else.  "Quick fixes" (and subsequent failures) are what got most of us here in the first place. 

Plus, I think you can only get it from the hospital pharmacy - that is, only your surgeon can prescribe it for you.  It won't be delivered to a regular pharmacy even if your GP prescribes it.  I think it's more regulated than in the US - like everything else.

Beth

Former RNY patient revising to Sleeve then DS.
Appts: Dietitian - January 21/19; July 16/19, August 13/19, September 17/19, October 15/19; Social Worker: August 23/19; DS Orientation: March 20/19; Internist: September 30/19; Surgeon: November 13/19 (signed consent).
Surgery Date: February 28/20.

MY RNY DIDN'T FAIL ME - I FAILED IT.

Leslie W.
on 4/24/11 8:53 am - Cobourg, Canada
Thanks everyone for your words of advice and support. It is all greatly appreciated.

Referral: August 2010 Orientation TWH: May 25, 2011  NP: June 8/11, f/u sleep clinic June 7, abd u/s June 14, SW: June 28/11  Nutrition Class: July 5/11, Dietician Aug 09, Psychologist Aug 25 Surgeon Sept 16th Surgery Date: Oct 11/11 HW:287, Opti wt: 260 SW: 242
My Angel is Sheri TK   
JJ_
on 4/24/11 10:57 am
When I went for the WLS info session in Ottawa, one of the options on the sheet that we had to fill out after the session included going on a liquid (Optifast) program.

The three options were:

1.  Yes to surgery

2.  Optifast program (13 or 26 weeks) can't remember which.

3.  No thanks to any of the above.

We were told we could take any of the options, and more than one if we wanted.  Especially since it would be a while until surgery.  The Optifast was only available at the hospital.

Good luck in your decisions.
PaulaToronto
on 4/24/11 8:38 pm - Toronto, Canada
When my blood sugars are way too high and I am bingeing too much due to stress and anxiety I do a "Premier shake break".  Two shakes for breakfast and lunch and then a protein, veg/salad/friut for dinner.  It helps stabilize my sugar within a couple of days and helps with controlling the bingeing.  Since I'm on my own I find having a premade shake with added syrups or coffee just makes my day easier.  I drop a few pounds fairly fast and feel back in control.  The Premier shakes are the premade one from Costco - they come in chocolate only in Canada but you can get a vanilla in the states. I tolerate these well.

Leslie W.
on 4/25/11 5:24 am - Cobourg, Canada
Thanks for the advice. Will pick some up next time at Costco.

My Angel is Sheri TK   
Most Active
Recent Topics