I have a quote for skin removal surgery.....

nicholivolkoff
on 5/23/11 12:19 am - Canada
Hi guys, this is Michell here, and it's been about 2 years since my vsg. I did not lose all the weight, but down to a normal size I am satisfied with. Lots of excess skin to deal with.

I got a quote done at the University of Toronto's plastic surgery learning facility, at a supposedly discounted rate since the surgeons are teaching at the same time. They are indeed practising surgeons that have thier own businesses, but do a teaching program also. So it is not students doing the cutting. The fee is a donation to the school, supplies used, and hospital costs. But no surgeons fee.

My first quote was about 15 grand, for a circumferential abdominoplasty and butt lift. It would take about 8 hours to do. When I heard this quote, I wondered if this is actually a better price than most standard practices offer. I asked for something less, and they offered a new quote for less work, a frontal only abdominoplasty, for about 10 grand. So all the skin on back and butt is left as is for that one.

I don't know what most people pay for these procedures in regular offices. But to me I don't see a big difference here at all. So I am holding off for now. I can live with the rolls.

Just thought I would post in case anyone is interested or would like to comment on these quotes.

Thanks, -Michelle.
Lil-Stinker
on 5/23/11 12:37 am
My mother got a tummy tuck for 7 grand in Ottawa
Referral sent on 26 Feb 2010 - Sleep Study on 28 May 2010 - Info session at WMC on 14 Jan 11- Appt with the APN (nurse) on 27 Jan 11 - Dietician and Behaviorist appts on Feb 24. WLS Class 6th April 2011 - Surgeon appt 3 May 2011 Dr Yelle - Surgery June 6th          
Bonnie ABC
on 5/23/11 1:36 am - Smiths Falls, Canada
RNY on 09/16/08 with
Just remember that whomever you go to that they have great experience in baratric patients.  Our skin is not the same.  So getting the best price is not worth it if they don't know what to do.  

Bonnie

I can do hard things, life is teaching me that I can.
             Lost 222lbs with rny, 20 lbs regain.

Plastics, July 2010 with Dr. Sauceda in Monterrey, Mexico
(deactivated member)
on 5/23/11 2:35 am - Bumfuknowhere, Canada
That is no discount at all.  I paid $8500 for an extended tummy tuck and he was far from a student with supervision.  At those prices, they are even higher than the highest paid PS in the GTA.
MichiganGal
on 5/23/11 3:22 am - Tecumseh, MI
Hi Michelle,

Please check out Dr. Vincent DiNick on these two forums

under plastic surgeon in Michigan on OBH
or
www.brooksideplasticsurgery.com

Dr. DiNick's self pay price for a full abdominalplasty is under $6,000 or LBL for $8,500 to $10,000 depending on OR time. 

Please call the office at 248-919-1100 for additional information.
nicholivolkoff
on 5/23/11 6:21 am - Canada
That is very reasonable to me. Very!! I wish I lived closer. I am close to Toronto, Ontario. I am not sure how easy it would be to travel after a big deal like that. How would I get home? I would have to stay in MI for at the very least a week, maybe more after a major surgery like that, that would be worse than the vsg. It is so attractive though, a price I can deal with and I really loved Michigan.

Thanks everyone *****plied.

Maybe if someone knows someone in southern Ontario that sounds comparable, they could suggest to me?? Thanks.
mgmrich
on 5/23/11 7:11 am - Ontario, Canada
hmmmm.  I don't think that's a deal but I don't really know. 

I had my consult in February with surgery hopefully in July sometime. 

OHIP approved the Panni and as a result I chose to upgrade that to a fleur de lis (the anchor tummy tuck....incision breast bone to pelvis and hip to hip), I also am having a breast lift done at the same time and a mons lift and lipo.

The quote was 5500$ (because OHIP is already covering the hospital portion of it)

I am going to ask him about the lower body lift and it's price which sounds like what your first quote was for....I am thinking it would be around 10 000 but not sure. 

With that said, I am in complete trust of my surgeon and have heard nothing but good things about him.   His prices are good but that would NOT be my deciding factor if I new he had a high complication rate or was not very professional....he just happens to be the whole package :)
   Marianne
Starting BMI: 48.8 (NOW 27.8) Comorbidities: Hypertension (GONE), High Cholesterol (NORMAL NOW), GERD (GONE), Sleep Apnea (RESOLVED)

MINI GOAL: 180lbs (Reached, yay), next MINI GOAL, 175 lbs (Reached, Yay), GOAL 170 lbs
(Reached, Yay), GOAL 160 lbs (REACHED...YAY!!!)

nicholivolkoff
on 5/23/11 7:30 am - Canada
Oh that sounds good. You are lucky to be approved for panni, my doctor won't even consider applying for that. She says it is not even close to being a neccesity. The skin does not hang over the pubic at all, just really a saggy roll that's all, plus lots of loose skin all around, no ass, but nothing ohip would cover.

Thanks, and GOOD LUCK with your surgery!!   -Michelle
(deactivated member)
on 5/23/11 8:46 am - Bumfuknowhere, Canada
When you say your doctor won't apply, do you mean your GP ?  If so, it's not up to a GP to decide, it's up to a plastic surgeon to decide if they have a case or not to send into OHIP.  It's the PS that does all the paperwork with OHIP.  All you need from your GP is a referral to a PS and nothing more.
nicholivolkoff
on 5/23/11 8:49 am - Canada
Oh, thanks for that, I did not realize. At the same time, I doubt this is enough, like I said it's not hanging over anything, no skin infections, not sure it's worth trying for. Thanks!
Most Active
Recent Topics