Questions for those who have had a VSG

Pat-60
on 7/6/11 8:46 am

I will be having a hernia repaired with a Sleeve on Monday and of course have to follow the same program as everyone else.  I feel very informed thanks to everyone on this site.  What I was wondering is what are the differences after surgery between sleeve and rny?  Is recovery time any different, foods tolerated differently, can more food be eaten down the road?  Any other hints would be appreciated. Thank you.

Nov 29/10   Referred to St Josephs Hamilton
Dec 6/10    Orientation
Mar 9/11     Nurse, Dietician & Social Worker
Mar 31/11   Internest
May 26/11  Surgeon & pre-surgery class
JULY 11/11  VSG, hernia repair by  Dr Mehran Anvari
debralight
on 7/6/11 8:56 am - Canada
What I was wondering is what are the differences after surgery between sleeve and rny?

They are different surgeries,  one involve rerouting and the other involves removal of part of the stomach. Few if anyone would hae experienced both to tell you the difference between the healing time of the two. I assume at surgical appts the surgeon/team went through what you can expect.

Are foods tolerated differently, can more food be eaten down the road?

You will be able to eat sugar without any issue (or with less issue) and you won't have the same issues with needing to chew to ensure food can go through the new stoma.  So you'll have to be more diligent. 

Sometimes the best support  you can get isn't all purple puddles and pink rainbows.

Aelfwynn
on 7/6/11 9:00 am - Canada
Hi there,

I'm planning on getting a VSG, and I was just hoping you could share your experience with getting approved for the VSG in Hamilton. Did you meet the criteria set out by OHIP, or did they give you a choice? I'm being referred to Hamilton for a revision from my lap band, but I've been told it's very hard to get approved for a VSG now.
sam1am
on 7/6/11 9:15 am
I was back to work in one week with my VSG and it was no problem at all.  I have a desk job and I would say that for the first week or so, I was a little more tired than usual.  

I can eat anything and everything is tolerated, just much less of it satisfies me.  Of course just because I can doesn't mean that I do.  I eat protein first and avoid simple carbs.

I couldn't be happier with my VSG!

Sandy                                           

"The best way to cheer yourself up is to try to cheer somebody  else up"                     

Mark Twain                                                       LW-Apple-Gold-Small.jpg image by PlicketyCatAnimation One      

Mike Terry
on 7/6/11 10:15 am - Staffa, Canada
 I second everything what Sandy says!! The only thing I would add is that I too had a huge Ventral Hernia, in addition to a gigantic Appendix scar. I was told a head of time that my surgery and recovery would both be doubled because of these complications.

ericaFG
on 7/6/11 11:53 am - Cambridge, Canada
I was told that the sleeve surgery is about half the time of an RNY to perform.  The less time under anesthesia, the easier the recovery.  Although, with a hernia repair added, you'll most likely be under just as long or longer than Rny.   Otherwise, the number of incisions etc. is the same - so the recovery is most likely very similar.  Certainly ladies I know with Rny recovered in about the same length of time I did.

Now that I'm at goal - I don't really have any food restrictions - physiologically or self-enforced.  I have reactive hypoglycemia and need to avoid having too much sugar/simple carbs without a "protein back"...but that's not really related to VSG specifically.  Many post-WLS patients seem to suffer from RH.

My biggest advice would be to measure, weigh and track your food.  ALWAYS.  And stick to protein first, then fruits and veggies.  Avoid simple carbs.  And junk food.  Just because you CAN eat it, doesn't mean you should.

Enjoy!
Proud Member of the Cambridge Crew!    
HW293/LW147/CW158   Height 5'9"  Working on Maintenance!
Fleur de lis TT and Brachioplasty - Oct. 19, 2010 Breast reduction and scar revision August 2, 2011

Pat-60
on 7/6/11 12:50 pm
Thanks for the replies.  The good thing about all preparation is you have a chance to break the old bad habits.  I'm finding I don't even really miss them now.  I have been tracking everthing for a while now and plan to continue.  I think it would be best just to continue staying away from sweets and breads as they were my downfall, once you start with even a little bit it makes it so much easier to continue.  I've been reading so much for the past 6 months but it's still good to hear from people who have experience.
Nov 29/10   Referred to St Josephs Hamilton
Dec 6/10    Orientation
Mar 9/11     Nurse, Dietician & Social Worker
Mar 31/11   Internest
May 26/11  Surgeon & pre-surgery class
JULY 11/11  VSG, hernia repair by  Dr Mehran Anvari
Most Active
Recent Topics