RATC's can't (or won't) send faxes?

Jeff Z.
on 7/14/11 4:26 am - Canada
DS on 06/05/12
 I'm a little peeved with St. Joe's at the moment.

Being an ODSP recipient I am able to most times get approval for transportation coverage for medical related appointments.  I received a call from my caseworker and she stated that either I needed my family doctor to fill out a form, or that St. Joe's (who setup the appointments), would need to fax something to the ODSP office just stating I would be there for medical appointments.

So I called St. Joe's and was surprised to get through to someone rather than voicemail.  I explained the situation, was put on hold for 10-15 seconds, and then the person came back on the line and said "We don't do that, we don't do that".  And then I was hung up on (may not have been intentional).  I realize they are busy, but honestly how hard is it to send a measely fax so that I don't have to shell out a significant amount of money for transportation costs?

Last week I had to spend $50 (which is 20% of my remaining budget after I pay rent), and that has left me a bit short changed this month.  Fortunately it was only $50 as my father took me.  However, I don't want to go that route again.

I'm not trying to bash St. Joe's (in case that is what anyone is attempting to perceive from this).  They must have a list of appointments I have in my file...that page could easily be plopped in a fax machine, a 10 digit fax number enter and presto, a fax is sent.

With the summer upon us it makes getting a quick family doctor appointment almost impossible due to most taking summer holidays.  And ODSP requires as much time as possible to facilitate getting approval for this type of matter.

Anyway I am droning on, but I just had to vent.  I'm stumped on what to do.  Going to a walkin clinic would not work as I don't have reliable transportation at my disposal.  Sigh...and today started off well.

HW: 750  ConsultW: 735  SW: 701  CW: 395  GW: 235 
App: January 2009  re-App: March 2009... OHIP suspends DS, works on proposal with Cleveland Clinic  Surgery: October 8th 2009  (8 month process)
Revision to DS on June 5th, 2012.

Karen M.
on 7/14/11 4:31 am - Mississauga, Canada
I'd be peeved too.  If it were me, I would call back and explain again.  And if the person was unable to assist me, I'd ask to speak to their supervisor. 

Karen

Ontario Recipes Forum - http://www.obesityhelp.com/group/ontario_recipes/

Jeff Z.
on 7/14/11 4:45 am, edited 7/14/11 4:45 am - Canada
DS on 06/05/12
 I'm honestly too bothered to do that.  I'm glad I did not give my name during the very brief call.

I've sent an email to someone I've conversed with back and forth at the MOH, so I'll see what she says.  I did make note of this call.  Point is I'm not trying to make life difficult for anyone.  All I want is for someone to send a fax confirming it's medical related so ODSP will give me an approval.

Round-trip transportation is $200+, which is something I cannot afford.  Honestly I wish my mom would take me as I enjoy her company (for the most part, heh).

Although she's sort of started with the tough love comments regarding a second surgery.  

Seriously though, it's as if I asked them to turn water into wine.

ETA: I do know who answered my call, but I omitted the name as I wasn't sure if it was proper protocol to put anyone on the spot.

App: January 2009  re-App: March 2009... OHIP suspends DS, works on proposal with Cleveland Clinic  Surgery: October 8th 2009  (8 month process)

Karen M.
on 7/14/11 4:56 am - Mississauga, Canada
Well, to me the most irritating part about your story is that the person didn't tell you WHY and then hung up (or "lost the connection") on you!  Seriously, I'd be calling right back! 

Karen

Ontario Recipes Forum - http://www.obesityhelp.com/group/ontario_recipes/

northernlight
on 7/14/11 7:33 am - Canada
VSG on 05/11/12
Jeff, I have to agree with Karen as well.  You say that you're "too bothered" to call them back again - not sure what exactly you mean by that. Considering that you've stated that the cost for transportation is $200+, if you don't get approval from ODSP, that would certainly make me willing to give them another call. What have you got to lose? When I get a "no" answer from someone over the phone, I wait a bit and call back again.  I often get someone totally different & they give me a "yes" answer.  Remember, we have to really be our own advocates on this journey, in many ways. Good luck!

Deb 

Jeff Z.
on 7/14/11 10:05 am - Canada
DS on 06/05/12
 Hi Deb,

I went a completely different route now by emailing someone at the Ministry of Health Long-Term Care.  I received a response back saying she would be more than happy to send a fax on my behalf, and I do not see how ODSP can not be satisfied with something coming from the MOH.

She even said I could write the body of the letter that would be faxed as I'd likely have a better idea as to what would give me a quick approval from ODSP.

In the end things appear to have worked out, albeit in a different manner.  I didn't call back as I didn't want to cause a potential confrontation and honestly the tone in the voice on the other end seemed almost confrontational to me, but of course I could have just taken it as such.

I digress though.

northernlight
on 7/14/11 12:12 pm - Canada
VSG on 05/11/12
Hi Jeff, I'm really glad that things worked out so well for you! Thank goodness the person at the MOH had some compassion and understanding and was able to help you out, which, of course, is what should have happened for you the first time. 

Hang in there Jeff!  I'll keep my fingers crossed that you get a speedy approval from ODSP so that you can get things rolling.....

Be sure to let us know how things progress, okay?

Deb

Joyce J.
on 7/14/11 4:47 am - Scarborough, Canada
Hi there

That is really unnerving. You should call them back and do what Karen said. What is the big deal about sending a fax

Take care,
Let us know if you get anywhere with them

Joyce----Today is the first day of the rest of your life

(deactivated member)
on 7/14/11 9:02 am, edited 7/13/11 9:03 pm - Guelph, Canada
Try to look at the other side of the coin here...

Fax is NOT secure.. they dont know who is at the other end of the fax

I HAD this happen a year ago... My fax machine was ringing and I let it do its thing... what I received was a 23 page fax of a patient file. This patient was requesting admittance to the mental health/Drug treatment facility here in Guelph.. Its called HomeWood...

I found out this woman has been diagnosed with severe depression 15 years ago and for the last 10 years she has been addicted to crack, heroin, and an alcoholic...

she was sexually molested at the age of 3 by an uncle who was never prosecuted

It listed her name... address... date of birth.... and her health card number

I called the doctors office who sent the fax and I acted all serious and professional asked for the doctor .. the doctor picked up the line right away and he replied.. this is the fastest anyone has called me back about a referral... what can I help you with?... I replied.. try sending the fax to the right place.. you just sent this poor woman's whole file to a private residence. .. he **** his pants and apologized for a minute... I am sure some receptionist got an ear full that day

Jeff Z.
on 7/14/11 9:56 am - Canada
DS on 06/05/12
 I realize it is not secure, but the funny thing is most agencies prefer it over email (I do volunteer work involving Occupational Therapist organizations).

As for Homewood, I have been there (eating disorder program).  Nice place, but it was not what my family though tit was.  They were convinced it was a weight loss program, which it most certainly was not.

I just cannot see how they would say not after I stated it was an ODSP office, which is a government agency.

Most Active
Recent Topics