A great lesson for recent WLS patients

EmmiePie
on 7/16/11 7:52 am - Kingston, Canada
As I've posted elsewhere on this site, I've been raving about the quality of care I received at Humber.  The only beef I had is that I was to get a private room and one was not available during my stay.  My roommate during my stay, is a former WLS patient who lost about 100lbs.  She did not follow the diet and ended up needing surgery from complications as a result (I think it was a long term non-compliance issue, not just here and there).  She told me she had been in ICU for 20 days before she was brought up to the room.  Needless to say she is not in very good shape at all.  She spends most of the day and night sleeping, has several tubes and pumps connected to her body...and when she is awake, she spends that time screaming in pain.  I know everyone is different and every body will react differently to WLS...and some will get away with eating junk food at their leisure....but let me tell you, this scared the crap out of me and it will remind me everytime I get the urge to sway from my diet plan. 
jennifer_rpn
on 7/16/11 8:43 am
WOW, can't believe people go through all that then don't follow.....it really frustrates me to no end.....grrrrrr......it's like the other day at my PATTS there was a woman there due to have surgery end of month and is on Optifast but doesn't like it so she isn't doing it....grrrrrrr.......which means she is gonna go in there gonna open her up and not be abkle to do it because she didn't follow through and there she is wasting a spot for someone *****ally wants it and is doing everything they should to prepare.....grrrrrr

My   is Quinns_mommy  and she rocks - Thanks for all your support!
Kerry F.
on 7/16/11 9:00 am - Bolton, Canada
Wow...it's almost unbelievable what people will do to sabotage themselves.  It really makes you think about the power of food addiction.  Only someone who is completely and utterly addicted would put their bodies through that kind of torture.  Thanks for sharing this story. It's one that I will remember too.

Kerry

What lies behind us and what lies ahead of us are tiny matters compared to what lies within us. - Ralph Waldo Emerson   

TBIYTC
on 7/16/11 12:48 pm, edited 7/16/11 12:49 pm - Ontario, Canada
VSG on 02/29/12
Well said. 

TBIYTC-The Best Is Yet To Come Referral-Mar 2011   Surgery Feb 29th, 2012

MS Miller
on 7/16/11 9:18 am - Nepean, Canada
Wow,

That is so sad, she had a great oppertunity but it failed her. I really think they a pushing too many through without enough pre interviews, food diaries, nutrion classes.

During my WLS class one lady said she did not like yougurt, milk, chicken, fish, certain cheeses, I mean what the hell do nyou think your going to eat after surgery, McDonalds, pop, cheetos, pizza, it's so weird, and she wasn't even going to try. plus she said she did not want to do Optifast and was going to use slimfast.

Just me ranting 

Surgery Sept 13th 2011 Dr. Hagen 
Kim O.
on 7/16/11 10:27 pm - Windsor, Canada
Both posts make me sad and frustrated at the same time, and both feelings are food triggers for me...(I'm good though...was already eating cereal when I read it) People like this taking up spots that will just delay others who are gung ho ready for the change I'm glad you both posted though...quite the eye openers, and we need those once in awhile too along with all of the great successes.
referred:  Jan 2011   rec'd letter from WRH:  June 6, 2011   orientation:  July 14, 2011           SurgEd:  July 5/12     Meet the Surg.  Aug 9/12     Surgery Sept 7/12

Wlxtn
on 7/17/11 3:20 am - Orillia, Canada
I agree with what you have said. How did she get past the first interview if she wasn't going to make these necessary changes? As for the foods I did not like on the diet (tomatoe juice) I just asked the dietician what I could substitute it with - that simple and you're still following guidelines.
My surgery is in 10 days and I know my bariatric centre would never have sent the green light if I was not 100% committed to a complete lifestyle change.
Thanks to everyone who shares on here as I have learned alot.
Wendy Luxton    
MS Miller
on 7/17/11 3:31 am - Nepean, Canada
Hi,

Good luck with your surgery, I know that you seem very commited. Unfortunatly a few or many sneak through with lying about what they eat pre op that is.

At my WLS class the nutrionist/behaviorist was actually shocked by what this lady said, she could not figure out what a good protein was, was asking if she could use instant breakfast after surgery, she seemed not well prepared and my luck she will get her date before me. I sure hope the nurse flagged her but who knows, we are the Humber bunch.

Surgery Sept 13th 2011 Dr. Hagen 
Nathalie_Can
on 7/16/11 11:31 am
wow..very sad...and to be honest, not wanting to hurt anyone or to make people react, but it doesn't surprise me that some do go back to eating bad foods.  It's similar to a drug addict, we might mean well, do everything to change but fall back.  Why did we try so many diets previoulsy but always failed?  The brain is a very powerful thing.

I spent at least the last 6 months talking to myself, listening to myself, to understand feelings I have about food.  Just an example, I eat when I'm happy...which is about 24/7...lmao...and about 2 weeks ago, I asked my husband if he felt like going for rides and see other lake houses at other lakes nearby and he said yes...as he said yes, I became like a child that I was sooo happy just for that silly reason of taking rides, I had joy and I automatically had the feeling that I wanted an ice cream cone.  Why in the heck did I associate an ice cream cone with being happy we are going for rides...rides!  lmao  but I did and that's where again i speak to myself and start to realize that 90% of the food I USED to swallow, was because of a feeling I associated to any food.  Which is probably similar to a drug addict, I'm no better...and please do not read me wrong, I am not judging anyone, just explaining/sharing how I realized by starting to listen instead of swallowing.

It is hard for everyone in different ways.  I have lost 74lbs already and still have a month before starting Optifast, but damn do I have a hard time after dinner, that is my HUGE struggle...I used to eat dinner and then after dishes start eating til midnight, non-stop...that's a full 4-5 hours I have to fill...lol...very hard!

Thanks for listening and EmmiePie, thank you so much for this post, it helps in many ways without you knowing!

~Experience is what you get when you didn't get what you really wanted!~    

NurseTammy
on 7/16/11 4:35 pm - Hamilton, Canada
I work in health care.  When you go for surgery, and are in any position where you hear why other patients are there, it is not appropriate to discuss or put a post up about that person without their permission.  There is a privacy and confidentiality act that not only applies to the staff, but also other patients. 

I certainly wouldn't want my story told on a board to a bunch of strangers without my permission.  Imagine you, or your family member sharing a painful time in your life on the Internet.

I understand that you wanted to use it to promote healthy behaviors post-up, but you have to be sensitive to others.

I don't want offend anyone.
Tammy
328 - Highest Weight
305 - Surgery Weight- July 26th, 2011

Most Active
Recent Topics