Has anybody had their VSG paid for by OHIP?

binaakwe
on 8/21/11 3:57 am - Lindsay, Canada
RNY on 08/13/12
Hi.  I am considering surgery and, after some research, think that the "sleeve" is for me but I am looking for some up to date information on what is covered by OHIP.  I already know that the "bypass" is the favored sugery by OHIP but my health is quite complicated and my BMI is over 50.  If you have had the "sleeve" done in Ontario or elsewhere and it was paid for by OHIP please contact by posting here or emailing me.  Thanks.
StevesGal
on 8/21/11 5:24 am - Hamilton, Canada
OHIP only covers the VSG if the RNY is medically not possible.  Don't know all the details though, sorry.  I do believe one requirement is a BMI of over 60, and a plethera of co-morbidities/issues.

Unfortunately, in Ontario you can't just choose which surgery you want, it's up to the surgeon in the end.  However, I have heard that some surgeons will take your request into consideration, but in the end, if they want to be paid, they have to follow OHIP guidelines.

If you go out of province (OOP), you will have to self-pay, but you will get want you want.  OHIP no longer covers OOC (out of country) or OOP surgeries.

Good luck.

Beth

Former RNY patient revising to Sleeve then DS.
Appts: Dietitian - January 21/19; July 16/19, August 13/19, September 17/19, October 15/19; Social Worker: August 23/19; DS Orientation: March 20/19; Internist: September 30/19; Surgeon: November 13/19 (signed consent).
Surgery Date: February 28/20.

MY RNY DIDN'T FAIL ME - I FAILED IT.

ericaFG
on 8/21/11 5:37 am - Cambridge, Canada
A BMI of over 60 is ONE reason you might get approved for a VSG - that is that you are large enough to make a full bypass not possible in one operation.  So they do it as a "pre-surgery" to get you down to a healthy weight and then "finish" the bypass.

But you don't HAVE to be a 60+BMI to qualify.

I've heard of people recently getting it done because of real dependence on NSAIDs (like daily use), bowel issues (colitis, etc.) and/or many previous abdominal surgeries and/or bad scar tissue.
Proud Member of the Cambridge Crew!    
HW293/LW147/CW158   Height 5'9"  Working on Maintenance!
Fleur de lis TT and Brachioplasty - Oct. 19, 2010 Breast reduction and scar revision August 2, 2011

Jennifer D.
on 8/21/11 5:33 am
Many on this forum have had their VSG covered by OHIP, the criteria varies based on centres and surgeons. I am sure our VSGers will be along shortly to help you out.
                                      Jennifer
          Thank you Cheri and Holly!
       Think twice, cut once! I've had 3 surgeries now, RNY, VSG and DS .
                                Ask me about the DS or visit dsfacts.com
2002 - RNY
2010 - RNY to VSG
2011 - Full DS-August 24th
                HW 311   SW 306  CW 235  GW 150
BelleVie
on 8/21/11 8:29 am
My VSG was covered due to complications during surgery.  I had too much scar tissue plus there was still too much fat on my liver, making it more difficult for the surgeon to approach things properly for an RnY.
binaakwe
on 8/21/11 8:27 am - Lindsay, Canada
RNY on 08/13/12
thanks to everyone's posts and emails.  the information and feedback has been very helpful!!!

Namaste.

-Binaakwe
OKNEE FE + 3
on 8/21/11 12:52 pm
 I had VSG covered by OHIP 2 years ago because of Inflammatory Bowel Disease, not to be confused with Irritable Bowel Syndrome.

There was a member LOUISEF (haven't seen her post in a while) her surgeon told her that the decision was up to the surgeon, can't remember who did her surgery, I am quite sure it was through Humber though.

Migjt be worth your while to look her up she is up your way I think?

Oknee's just gotta dance
Weight at the start of Optifast 378 T-1 OR Weight 352
Broke the 300 pound Barrier 13-Dec-2009 291.2lbs 01-APR-11 "onederland"
HGBA1C 5.2  d/c from the care of  my Endocrinolgist 09-JUL-10 "diabetes resolved"
10-MAR-11 Extreme Sleep Apnea (dx 2007) resolved-"b-bye CPAP won't miss ya"

HAVE A QUESTION ABOUT IRON AND/OR http://theironmaiden.ca/                

debralight
on 8/21/11 1:19 pm - Canada
If your health is complicated why did you want most of your stomach permanently removed? If you ever get cancer or something in the stomach you are out of luck.

With an RNY your bits are all there .. just rearranged.. so if life happens things can be moved around and put back. There isn't that choice with an VSg.

And can someone point me to where the rules say NSAID use qualifies for a VSG  I know one member back when rules didn't seem to matter get one becuse of that - but i don't think its right there are some rules that are unstated and only some docs apply. The playing field should be level.
Sometimes the best support  you can get isn't all purple puddles and pink rainbows.

ericaFG
on 8/21/11 1:24 pm - Cambridge, Canada
I haven't seen it in print - but we did have one member of our local group told that if she couldn't manage pre surgery without her NSAIDs they would give her the sleeve so she could continue on them post-surgery.

Many people at risk of things like stomach cancer would actually prefer a sleeve type surgery, as the testing would be more straight forward. A sleeve can be "scoped". A blind stomach cannot.
Proud Member of the Cambridge Crew!    
HW293/LW147/CW158   Height 5'9"  Working on Maintenance!
Fleur de lis TT and Brachioplasty - Oct. 19, 2010 Breast reduction and scar revision August 2, 2011

Jennie M.
on 8/21/11 10:36 pm - Ottawa, Canada
Not here as often but I wanted to post as a previous (woohoo!) member of the +50 BMI club who has been successful (I would even say very?) with a VSG.

I reached my goal in June/July 2010 and have been maintaining fairly easily since. Surgery was in March 2009 under the old out of country system but VSG is a fabulous surgery.

Urban Poling Instructor, 5K runner & soon to be CanFit Pro Personal Trainer
HW339/Lowest Wt 175/CW210/GW175  Plastics done (TT & BR) 8/31/10

Most Active
Recent Topics