TMI

Brenda T.
on 9/24/11 4:01 am - Oshawa, Canada
RNY on 05/14/12
be warned this isn't a nice topic....... but

What happens if it is your time of month when your surgery date comes around?  Unfortunately that is what happened to me when I had my gallbladder out.  Anyone know what they do, does it matter?

Brenda             Visit my profile for timelines                         My  is Monica M.

elizabeth G.
on 9/24/11 4:38 am - Canada
Hey Brenda,

It does not matter at all!!!  I had mine the day I had my DS and they are used to it.  In fact, it is very common for women to have their periods on the day of surgery, stress and anxiety can bring it on.  Just let them know and they will take care of things.

Liz
DS SURGERY NOV 20, 2009
210 POUNDS LOST SO FAR
Carole1974
on 9/24/11 4:38 am - Welland, Canada
If im not mistaken they give you a pad and an elastic mesh type of underwear. They are very professional about it. As women it's mother nature and we can't do anything about it. I hope this help some :)

St Joes Hamilton Ref Sent 01/20/11 Surgery 08/23/11 with Dr.Gmora. My  Tanya T

Manda M.
on 9/24/11 5:29 am
I worked it out that mine would be over by my surgery date. I don't want cramps and all that on top of everything!
http://pouchgirlrny.blogspot.com  -- My thoughts and experience so far post RNY!!

Monica M.
on 9/24/11 6:26 am, edited 9/23/11 6:26 pm - Penetanguishene, Canada
Hey Brenda... we apparently have no secrets around here!!!

I've seen lots of women who have had that happen right at surgery time. I think that the quick weight loss on the optifast seems to skew your hormones, and bring on your period.

yeah, the nurses are very professional about it. Just FYI, no tampons during surgery.

Brenda T.
on 9/24/11 7:18 am - Oshawa, Canada
RNY on 05/14/12
Thanks ladies.
It sucked they didn't let me wear anything when I had my gallbladder out. Can anyone say "all over" lol oh well.

Brenda             Visit my profile for timelines                         My  is Monica M.

JJ_
on 9/24/11 10:54 am
Well, I remember them giving me a brick of a pad to wear with no underwear.
laura S.
on 9/24/11 11:26 am - London, Canada
I had my surgery last month and was at the heaviest flow day - totally sucked.  They gave me a pad and I had to waddle my way back from the bathroom and get myself on the bed and keep it in place until I got settled.  Then there was a problem with the O/R bed and I had to wait close to an hour and then switch beds.  I was NOT happy.  I explained it to the nurse that came out to talk to me and she helped me out - they were really great about it.  Apparently it happens all the time and they said they weren't worried about it, so I shouldn't be either. 

Brenda T.
on 9/24/11 9:41 pm - Oshawa, Canada
RNY on 05/14/12
Thanks, I'm not going to worry about it then. It makes sense that after OF that it would bring on our periods, and it is something we can't control. I'm glad they are use to it.

(deactivated member)
on 9/24/11 11:04 pm, edited 9/24/11 11:08 pm - Guelph, Canada
when its that time of the month for me the flood gates open up and all hell breaks loose for the first few days...

Sure enough when I had an unrelated surgery in Feb it was that time... I explained to the nurses that I was on my period and I explained I was REALLY heavy and I would perfer to keep my tampon in until JUST before they wheeled me to the OR and she said no problem... she will give me a 10 minute warning to go and do what I needed to do.. she said as soon as I am able to move well enough in recovery they will have my personal belongings available so I can go to the washroom and clean up.

sure enough the recovery nurse had my personal belongings ready and waiting when I woke up and the nurse adked if I needed the washroom or can I clean up on the gurney. well ummm no I needed a washroom... within minutes they had a wheel chair there and wisked me off to the bathroom.. the nurse made sure I was stable while I was standing in the washroom then she walked out and sut the door but left it open just a crack in case.

I did what I needed to do and was wheeled back to my gurney..

Another recovery nurse explained it to me this way... if they dont have to clean up after your "mess" then its less for them to do... If they would to refuse to allow you to look after mother nature its a bigger mess for them to clean up after yo are discharged.
Most Active
Recent Topics