Recipe

Christina C.
on 9/29/11 11:46 pm - New Glasgow, Canada
 will psot this in the Recipe section too, looks like something we can eat..let me know and I will post it there too!

Protein Packed Multigrain Pizza Muffins

: Multigrain Whole Wheat Pizza Muffins

SummaryThis is my take on this recipe from Canadian Family . I switched up the flour and added well blended cottage cheese to up the nutritional value. These muffins are little fussy to make, but well worth the effort. I highly recommend doubling the recipe and stashing some in the freezer… if there’s any left! Amazingly delicious, this make a great snack or lunch for school.

Ingredients

• 1 cup whole wheat flour
  • 1 cup  robin hood multigrain flour
  • 1/4 cup granulated sugar
  • 1 tbsp baking powder
  • 1 tsp  each salt and dried basil
  • 1/2 tsp  baking soda
  • 1 cup tiny cubes old orange cheddar
  • 1 cup cottage cheese, pureed smooth
  • 2 eggs
  • 1/4 cup butter, melted
  • 1/2 cup finely chopped red or green sweet pepper
  • 1/4 cup pizza sauce (about half a can)
  • 1/2 cup shredded mozzarella

Directions

• Preheat oven to 400 F (200 C). Line 12 muffin cups with paper liners.
  • In a large bowl, whisk together flours, sugar, baking powder, salt, basil and baking soda until combined.
  • Stir in cheddar cubes.
  • In a medium bowl, whisk together cottage cheese, eggs and butter until smooth.
  • Stir wet ingredients into flour mixture just until well combined and no dry spots remain; stir in sweet pepper (batter will be very thick).
  • Spoon batter into muffin cups, dividing evenly.
  • Spoon 1 tsp (5 mL) pizza sauce on top of each muffin; sprinkle each with shredded mozzarella.
  • Bake about 20 minutes, until golden and a toothpick inserted in centre of one of middle muffins comes out clean.
  • Let muffins cool in pan at least 5 minutes before removing, then let cool completely on a wire rack. (Freeze muffins in an airtight container for up to 1 month; defrost at room temperature.)

Maranda

You absolutely definitely want to use liners in your muffin tin for this recipe!

Preparation time: 25 minute(s)

Cooking time: 20 minute(s)

Number of servings (yield): 12

Karen M.
on 9/30/11 12:19 am - Mississauga, Canada
Nutrients Per Serving
Per muffin 216 calories, 10.4 g fat, 178 mg calcium, 485 mg sodium, 22.6 g carbohydrates, 8 g protein, 0.7 g fibre; good source of folate and calcium.

Hmmm.. they sound yummy, but over 200 calories and 22g of carbs per muffin. 

Karen

Ontario Recipes Forum - http://www.obesityhelp.com/group/ontario_recipes/

Christina C.
on 9/30/11 12:21 am - New Glasgow, Canada
 ok wasnt sure thats why I posted her first, I dont know how to check all that stuff.....thanks Karen...so perhaps not a great choice.

Karen M.
on 9/30/11 12:30 am - Mississauga, Canada

Just kinda high calorie for 8g of protein and way high in carbs.  It would, however, be an fabulous idea for egg bites (little crustless quiches)!!  Off the top of my head, this is what came to me:

6 or 7 eggs
1 cup shredded old cheddar
1 diced red/green pepper
1/2 cup diced onion
1/4 cup chopped up pepperoni
2 cloves garlic, crushed
1/2 tsp dried basil
1/2 tsp dried oregano
Topping:  tomato sauce
                  shredded mozerella

Saute the peppers, onions and pepperoni in a tiny bit of olive oil until tender and let it cool.  Mix the eggs, cheddar, garlic and spices together and add the veggies and pepperoni once they're cooled.  Spray muffin tins with Pam, scoop mixture into the cups then top with a spoonful of sauce and sprinkle with mozz.  Bake for 25-30 min.

Karen

Ontario Recipes Forum - http://www.obesityhelp.com/group/ontario_recipes/

Nathalie_Can
on 9/30/11 12:50 am
omg..just by reading this makes me realize that I can't wait to be able to eat...I got crazy happy with my first bite of pureed salmon last night...lol

I wrote this one down!

Nathalie

~Experience is what you get when you didn't get what you really wanted!~    

Monica M.
on 9/30/11 1:18 am - Penetanguishene, Canada
my mouth is watering right now. thanks. lol

Monica M.
on 9/30/11 1:17 am - Penetanguishene, Canada
i wonder if they coudl be made iwth a higher protein flour, like coconut or almond flour.... and in tiny muffin tins, rather than regular size. They sound amazing, tho.

Most Active
Recent Topics