Question about Davinci SF syrups and Guelph

NervousNelly57
on 10/6/11 2:18 am - Guelph, Canada

This question is primarily Guelph members:

I hate to bother the clinic for something that seems sort of trivial, but I'm wondering if Davinci SF syrups are allowed while on Optifast.  As I was picking up my Optifast the other day, the staff member (sorry I don't know her name) told me to make sure that any flavourings I add are approved, because some cause increased hunger.  She wasn't one of the nutritionists, so she didn't know, and it was 5pm, so there was no one else there at the time.

I have searched through my notes and hand-outs, and can find nothing specifically about the Davinci brand.

Are there any recent 'graduates' who have the definitive answer?

If not, I will definitely call the centre rather than guess.

Thanks!

Sharon

Nadine W.
on 10/6/11 2:33 am - Hanover, Canada
I was at the class yesterday and asked the question. She said it needs to be 0 calories but that if it has aspartame it can increase your hunger.
Refer June 4/10, Orientation Dec 16/10, Nut, SW & Nurse Mar 16/11, Internist Apr. 19/11, Nut May 3/11, Nut Class Oct 5/11, Dr. Pereira-Hong Nov. 1/11, Surg Jan. 4/12, Cancellation! New surg date Nov. 10/11. The rest is still unwritten...

sueberman
on 10/6/11 2:35 am
Most of us have used it to alter the taste.  I didn't notice it increasing hunger and I don't understand how it could do that?  something in them?  I'll look at the labels when I get home.
Sue in Courtice
My angel is Ashleighsmom 

NervousNelly57
on 10/6/11 2:57 am - Guelph, Canada
Somewhere I remember hearing/reading that aspartame increases hunger, so that is probably what the Guelph staff person was trying to tell me.

The good news is that Davinci SF is made with Splenda!  And, since we are allowed splenda, according to my notes and hand-outs, I should be good to go!

Thanks!

Sharon

Nathalie_Can
on 10/6/11 3:05 am
I was too curious now so I went and got the specs from The Low Carb Grocery, where I get mine:

This is the one I purchased...It only speaks of Splenda...it's 0 accross the board.
I hope it helps.....if it's not your flavour and you wanna make sure, click here to go on The Low Carb Grocery and check labels of the other flavours.
*Small* Davinci Sugar Free Caramel Syrup (375ml)
[8607]
$7.99 $6.39
kosher Kosher
*Small* Davinci Sugar Free Caramel Syrup (375ml)
Click to enlarge

Introducing new Da Vinci Gourmet® Sugar Free Flavored Syrups sweetened with SPLENDA® Brand Sweetener. SPLENDA is the only no calorie sweetener made from real sugar and because SPLENDA is derived from real sugar, it tastes like real sugar. There is no unpleasant aftertaste like many other sugar-free sweeteners. And everyone, including diabetics and phenylketonurics can safely enjoy SPLENDA.

Da Vinci Gourmet Sugar Free Syrups have the same world-class flavor as the Classic flavors, but without the calories. Thus, they are extremely popular among diabetics, low-carb dieters, and others who are interested in no-calorie products.

Da Vinci Gourmet Sugar Free Syrups are available in over 40 flavors for use in coffee drinks, sodas, desserts, and more. SPLENDA® is extremely heat-stable and may be used in baking. Be sure to check out all the other flavors available at The Low Carb Grocery under the following sub-categories of Da Vinci Syrups:

• Fruit Flavors
  • Rich Flavors
  • Tea Flavors
  • Holiday Flavors

Nutrition Facts
Valeur Nutritive
Serving Size   2 Tbsp  

Servings Per Container   12

Calories   0    

Fat   0g
  Saturated Fat   0g
  Trans Fat   0g
Cholesterol   0mg
Sodium   10mg
Carbohydrates   0g
  Fibre   0g
  Sugars   0g
Protein   0g

Ingredients: Water, Natural and Artificial Flavors, Cellulose Gum, Sucralose (Splenda Brand), Sodium Benzoate (to preserve flavor quality), Citric Acid, caramel Color.

Disclaimer:
The nutrition information provided is for reference only. While we strive to keep the information accurate, manufacturers may change the production formula of the product from time to time, and The Low Carb Grocery cannot guarantee the label is always up to date. The Low Carb Grocery will not be held liable for any typing mistakes or errors in the information provided. Please always read the actual label before using the product if you have any concerns.
If you notice any errors in the information above, please contact us so that we can correct the error. Your time and help is much appreciated.
There are currently no product reviews.
Write Review Back

~Experience is what you get when you didn't get what you really wanted!~    

(deactivated member)
on 10/6/11 3:16 am - Bumfuknowhere, Canada
Davinci is made with Splenda and some of the other syrups are made with other sweeteners, and some even sugar alcohols.  I don't understand their concern with aspartame during Opti considering it is sweetened with aspartame.  LOL
NervousNelly57
on 10/6/11 4:36 am - Guelph, Canada
I didn't realize that Tracey!  I guess I should take the Optifast boxes out of the garbage bag they provided at the clinic, and read that information.  It does seem silly, though, that they would not want you to use aspartame, but the Opti is sweetened with it...?

Right now I don't even know if I'll perhaps like the Opti the way it is, and not use any flavourings. 

Has anyone had Boost before?  Does it taste kind of like that?  I don't like the taste of it but it only takes a teaspoon of Davinci amaretto flavouring to make it quite nice...

Thanks!

Sharon

on_my_way2011
on 10/6/11 4:40 am - Canada
I found it tastes just like SlimFast, if you have tried that before.

Highest weight ~ 360, Surgery weight ~ 280, Current weight ~ 171
Referral to bariatric registry ~ April 29, 2011  SURGERY ~ September 27, 2011
My  is Gailupnorth.

NervousNelly57
on 10/6/11 5:32 am - Guelph, Canada
Oh, that's good!  I spent years on and off Slimfast and I quite liked it.  In fact, a few weeks (months?) ago I saw it on sale and I was thinking about buying it to make a quick breakfast when I'm in a hurry.

jdance
on 10/6/11 3:37 am - Canada
Regardless of what type of sweetener is in it, the fact that it's sweet tricks your brain into thinking it's just had something sweet which is prone to make you hungry. that's the reasoning behind having anything sweet, pop, diet or not, it's the same with anything, even gum.

But as long as you stick to the optifast you should be fine.

Most Active
Recent Topics