WLS and blood pressure

sueberman
on 11/18/11 2:03 am
After years of high BP, when I had my surgery my BP when down to a normal range and I was able to come off all meds.  Last night something weird happened.  I was talking to someone in a grocery store and all of a sudden i felt like I couldn't catch my breath and i got dizzy.  We went home right away and I took my bp and it was 80/70 - I have never been lower than 110.  I do go to my cardio in a couple of weeks, but I need to know if I should be really concerned or is this normal for BP to drop after losing all this weight?  Is it related to the low caloric intake?

Thanks guys/gals
Sue in Courtice
My angel is Ashleighsmom 

Heidi S.
on 11/18/11 2:18 am - Sault Ste. Marie, Canada
 I think you should contact your Doctor to answer your questions. All the best

Sometimes you just put one foot in front of the other, even if you don't know where you're going. 

Surgery Aug. 29, 2012 with the Wonderful Dr. Aarts at TEGH

Created by MyFitnessPal - Nutrition Facts For Foods

sueberman
on 11/18/11 2:24 am
You're right - I put a call into my cardio.
Sue in Courtice
My angel is Ashleighsmom 

Heidi S.
on 11/18/11 2:29 am - Sault Ste. Marie, Canada
 Oh good. Keep me posted on how it goes. 

Sometimes you just put one foot in front of the other, even if you don't know where you're going. 

Surgery Aug. 29, 2012 with the Wonderful Dr. Aarts at TEGH

Created by MyFitnessPal - Nutrition Facts For Foods

PatXYZ
on 11/18/11 2:24 am
Do definitely talk to your doc. Low blood pressure is pretty common post-WLS. You may simply need to get more salt and fluids in your diet, or it could be indicative of something more serious, like an internal bleed from an ulcer or something. Has the low blood pressure come on suddenly or gradually? Do you have any other symptoms? Pain? Unusual stool?
Also, when you had the dizzy spell, was it right after you started moving after being still for a while? Or after standing up or bending over to get something? Transient low pressure is something caused by orthostatic hypotension, and may be something to look into as well.
Good luck.
Karen W.
on 11/18/11 3:57 am - Canada
Definitely call the doc, as it could be any number of things.  My blood pressure has dropped significantly since WLS.  My doc said I need to put salt back into my diet (how funny is that!), and suggested that I have Gatorade (the low sugar type, G2) every day to help with water retention.  I'm feeling much better since I incorporated the GS.  Another option is Gastrolyte (electrolyte supplement that you can get at any pharmacy).

RNY April 11, 2011       

sueberman
on 11/18/11 4:16 am
I couldn't talk to my actual actual doctor but talked to another one and he doesn't know much about WLS but he's assuming I need more salt and water - he even asked if I was eating enough? - and I thought I was doing great with getting water in.  However, I do pee a lot so it must be going out almost as fast as I put it in.  My doctor will be in Tuesday so I'll call and talk to him.  My daughter reminded me that this happened a couple of weeks ago when we were shopping - had totally forgotten it.  But that time I know I had lots of fluids in me.  I'm hoping it won't happen again though.
Sue in Courtice
My angel is Ashleighsmom 

Monica M.
on 11/18/11 5:04 am - Penetanguishene, Canada
how's your hydration, Sue?

sueberman
on 11/18/11 5:17 am
I thought it was ok - but now I'm wondering -My last labs were 3 months ago and I was fine I'm going with my daughter to our GP tomorrow morning so I'll sneak in a question or 2 while I'm there.

thanks all
Sue in Courtice
My angel is Ashleighsmom 

Marleymeluv
on 11/18/11 7:33 am - Hamilton, Canada
Funny I just had surgery and was kept an extra day because of low BP....another time it went so low I passed out.A friend and I have been wonderfing about this as well,is it all WLS related?

:360,

SW:340, CW:128, RGW:126   Lost 20 Lbs preop

Most Active
Recent Topics