ketosis

Teasha H.
on 12/11/11 5:46 am - north of Barrie, Canada

Just wondering if you guys/gals use those keto strips you pee on?  Are we suppose to always be in ketosis?  I used them when I was on Bernstein and just wondered if I should be using them know too?

Loved chatting, thanks.
mypita58
on 12/11/11 6:17 am - Windsor, Canada
 I never used the keto strips. Horrible bad breath was enough of a sign that I was entering the phase of ketosis while on optifast.
Glenda    
Do not pray for an easier life, pray to be stronger.    JFK            
Monica M.
on 12/11/11 6:27 am - Penetanguishene, Canada
no, you don't always need to be in ketosis.

(deactivated member)
on 12/11/11 6:28 am - Canada
I don't think I've ever been in ketosis during this process - not even during Optifast. I follow the protein first rule but still eat carbs (fruits/veggies, cereal & the occasional cracker).

Could be why I'm losing slower than others but I was never given any specific guidelines about carbs or being in a constant ketogenic state.

As for ketosticks - I tried them when I was on Atkins years ago & they NEVER changed colour for me even though I knew I was in ketosis. I never bought them after that.
Karen M.
on 12/11/11 6:30 am - Mississauga, Canada
No it is not necessary to be in a constant state of ketosis to lose weight.  I have never used those sticks, no need.  Stick to your plan and you'll be fine.

Karen

Ontario Recipes Forum - http://www.obesityhelp.com/group/ontario_recipes/

Toni B.
on 12/11/11 7:49 am - Sudbury, Ontario
RNY on 01/19/12
Great question... I really enjoyed reading everyone's responses. Thanks for posting it.

Toni..."Bravery is not the absence of fear, but the will to overcome it"
 www.fatgirlchangingherworld.com Twitter:@fatgirlchanging
   Surgery JAN. 19th, 2012 Down 120 lbs & 75 inches @ my last Weigh in!!!!  
Fat Girl Changing her World

↑ Grab this Headline Animator

PatXYZ
on 12/11/11 8:26 am
If you're keeping to less than 50g carbs per day, you're almost certainly in ketosis. I think I used the strips once on an Atkins diet years ago. If you want to monitor your ketosis though, you can get the strips from the pharmacist (behind the counter) at pretty much any pharmacy.

The bariatric program is silent on ketosis, but the whole purpose of optifast is ketosis. The definition of ketosis is the depletion of glycogen from the liver, which is what causes the liver to shrink before surgery. Your body will probably stay in ketosis without much effort throughout clear and full fluids, after that you will need to watch your carbs to be able to maintain ketosis.

Looking at the studies on the matter, ketogenic diets are the most effective for both weight loss and fat loss. Non-ketogenic diets (traditional low fat diets) involve more muscle loss than ketogenic ones. I think of the transition to low carb (50g max for losing, 100g max for maintenance) as a change in lifestyle and one that is particularly well suited for someone having WLS as our diets are supposed to be focused on protein anyway. It's a personal choice, but one that is on solid medical and scientific footing for weight loss and maintenance. The first piece of advice anyone regaining weight is told is to cut their carbs, and consumption of grains in particular are now being investigated as major contributors to heart disease and diabetes.
Teasha H.
on 12/11/11 8:37 am - north of Barrie, Canada
Thanks for the feedback.
Loved chatting, thanks.
Leslie W.
on 12/11/11 9:54 am - Cobourg, Canada
Didnt use them. Dont think I ever went into ketosis. never did get the bad breath or strong pee. I wouldnt worry about it.

Referral: August 2010 Orientation TWH: May 25, 2011  NP: June 8/11, f/u sleep clinic June 7, abd u/s June 14, SW: June 28/11  Nutrition Class: July 5/11, Dietician Aug 09, Psychologist Aug 25 Surgeon Sept 16th Surgery Date: Oct 11/11 HW:287, Opti wt: 260 SW: 242
My Angel is Sheri TK   
aprilbennett1965
on 12/11/11 11:22 am - Canada
I have been on my OF for 14 days now and I am not sure if I have been in Ketosis either. I have not 'cheated, even a little bit so I would think that I am...the only sign of it though is the hunger pangs are not there. No bad breath yet
Surgery ---December 23 with Dr. Yelle!

Most Active
Recent Topics