O.T. Sushi-making tools/ingredients

NervousNelly57
on 12/11/11 10:45 am - Guelph, Canada
Hi everyone.

I'm in the middle of Christmas shopping and I think I found the perfect idea for my daughter because she loves sushi and would like to make it herself.

However, I'm having a hard time finding the materials and/or equipment such as the bamboo mat for rolling sushi rolls, beginner cookbooks and the ingredients like nori (seaweed sheets?), sushi vinegar, wasabi powder and sticky rice (is it just regular short grain rice?).

Does anyone have any ideas where I might look?  I've checked Walmart, Homesense, Chapters (couldn't find any sushi cookbooks(!!) and a few others.

Unfortunately, it's too late to rely on online ordering to get the things here on time.

Any suggestions?  Any sushi lovers out there who make their own at home?

thanks,
Sharon

LuAnne H.
on 12/11/11 11:01 am - London, Canada
Loblaws and Metro carry nori, sushi rice (pc sells it at a cheaper price than other brands)  I got  bamboo mats at Metro in a peg area. Do you have any Asian stores in the area?  Wasabi can also be bought in major grocery stores both powder and paste.

Referal Apr.17, 10   Orientation Feb.24, 11  !st  App (SW,NUT.RN) May 17, 11
2nd App (SM,NUT,RN) Jul. 7,11, Post-op Nut class Jan 13,12,  surgeon Feb27,12
surgery April 5,2012
joanne_1970
on 12/11/11 8:27 pm - Harriston, Canada
I bought mats at an Asian grocery in London however I think they do have them at some large grocery stores now.  Sushi rice is easy even my no-frills in my small town has it.  I know I have seen nori at Zehrs as well as the vinegar.

(deactivated member)
on 12/11/11 8:42 pm - Guelph, Canada
 Sharon.. there is a store on woodlawn just west of the hanlon... its where the new goodwill store is... try there... and there is also a chinese grocer on silvercreek arond the bun king bakery... when I go looking for sushi stuff i hit there... my daughter loves it..

I dont use the bamboo mat though I just use saran wrap and then wrap it tight to cut it 
NervousNelly57
on 12/12/11 2:58 am - Guelph, Canada
Thanks everyone! I know where that Asian store is near Bunsmaster, so I'll try that soon!

s

Most Active
Recent Topics