To have a guardian angel or not to have a guardian angel.....that is the question

swagger
on 1/25/12 10:28 pm - Thunder Bay, Canada
RNY on 02/10/12
I'm sure this question(s) has come up in past topics but I will ask it again....

What is the purpose of the guardian angel (in regards to WLS).....?

With 2 weeks before surgery do I need one......?

How do I become one? (even though I might need horns to hold up my halo )

How do I get one for myself?

Warmest Regards...

"The good Lord gave you a body that can stand most anything. It's your mind you have to convince."
-Vincent Lombardi of the Green Bay Packers

Monica M.
on 1/25/12 10:36 pm, edited 1/25/12 10:37 pm - Penetanguishene, Canada
http://www.obesityhelp.com/morbidobesity/members/be+an+angel .php

there's an explanation of what an angel does, and how to become one. Karen M keeps a list of people who will be angels. Usualy its someone that you've kind of "clicked" with.

one of the things they do is give the Board an update on how your surgery went, so we're not all pacing the halls wondering what the heck is going on! They also serve as a source of support or advice. I'd offer, but i'm going to be away during your surgery time. :-(

happypants
on 1/25/12 11:14 pm - Ottawa, Canada
Angels offer support when you need it the most. I had one during my time of "need". It was fantastic to know that if I needed advise or someone to talk to she was there for me.

Its also terrific to know that someone has traveled down the road you are about to travel and has the experience that non WLS people just don't know about or understand.

You need an angel!!

Ann

In order to succeed, your desire for success should be greater than your fear of failure.

Surgery July 22, 2011  Starting weight 270  128 lbs lost  Today's weight 142 lbs                 Ann       

Joyce J.
on 1/25/12 11:20 pm - Scarborough, Canada
Hi there

I always think it is nice to have an angel. This board is awesome, but always good to have that one on one person you can chat with if you need to.
Also, we like to hear how your surgery went, the Angel would post for you while you are in hospital and not able to.

Take care

Joyce----Today is the first day of the rest of your life

ToNewBeginnings
on 1/25/12 11:34 pm
I don't think you "need" one. I didn't have one.

I got along well with my roomate in the hosopital and we became "phone frineds". It's nice to talk with her and share with soemone who is going throught the same stages.

Depends on what kind of daily support you have at home and your personality type I guess.

Good Luck!
-Yvonne
Robin H.
on 1/26/12 1:12 am - Thunder Bay, Canada
 my angel was beth and what a nice surprise to have her come visit me at STjoes as she was from Hamilton!!! I had nobody down with me until my release date so the day of surgery Beth came and saw me in my room:) she updated the board while i was still in hospital as well.

irol770
on 1/26/12 2:59 am - Thunder Bay, Canada
You don't need one...I didn't officially have one.  I didn't think I needed one and didn't ask for one and being a more introverted type of person, I thought I might be uncomfortable with one.  However, Mary stepped up and became my angel anyway!   And when I was out of town having surgery she checked in with my husband, and when I got home I arrived to find a huge basket full of sugar-free, low-carb, high protein treats, which I was NOT expecting (but greatly appreciated).

If you would like an angel, I could volunteer since I am in the same city as you.  Alhthough you won't be having your surgery here, so you may want an angel from wherever you have your surgery so that they can visit you while you are in the hospital.  Just let me know!
Glitter Text Generator

swagger
on 1/26/12 3:54 am, edited 1/26/12 3:55 am - Thunder Bay, Canada
RNY on 02/10/12
I didn't mean to come off that I was desperate for a guardian angel, I just didnt know how the whole thing worked and was quite intrigued by it.

I haven't made any real close connections with anyone here yet, but by reading other people's posts there seems to be many very nice people in our WLS community.

My surgery is on Feb 10th in Hamilton

"The good Lord gave you a body that can stand most anything. It's your mind you have to convince."
-Vincent Lombardi of the Green Bay Packers

mermaidoz
on 1/26/12 6:46 am, edited 1/26/12 6:48 am - Canada
 Didn't have one myself, depends on whether important for you to have someone post about your surgery and progress or problems while in hospital on this forum...for me wasn't important as had company looking after me in hospital and in hotel after surgery for a few days....when I returned to my home city I posted  about myself here...never missed not having an Angel posting for me....no one here really knew me anyway and doubt anyone really all that interested unless I had problems, and I didn't ....had a textbook recovery both in and out of hospital.....So just a very boring story to tell!

As to how to get an Angel, just post asking for someone to be your Angel, and presto, they fly in and offer...you choose someone, and then have to ensure they get updates to post here on your surgery and progress, and they are your "mentor" in the post surgery period.  Again, I survived perfectly OK without an Angel.
PaulaToronto
on 1/26/12 7:17 am - Toronto, Canada
Had to laugh at your post.  As far as I know, only God can give you a guardian angel.  All the forum can offer is an angel to help you out. I dont think any of them have God given powers although some come close.  

Highest W 312   Referral W 252   Surgery W 237   CW 156  Height 5'6"            

Most Active
Recent Topics