COFFEE - DECAF OR NOT TO DECAF THAT IS THE QUESTION

Heregoesnothing66
on 2/18/12 12:59 pm - Canada
RNY on 02/23/12
So I was on here a couple days ago and I was asking about coffee.  There was much debate as to what was acceptable.  Most felt that decaf was the only way to go.  I can only say that having coffee is the only thing that has kept me sane through this optifast journey.  I will say that my center is TWH and  having the operation at St.Mikes   I contacted the dietician who said as long as i kept it down to one or two cups per day caffinated coffee was ok - but that is my center check with your own to make sure it is ok with them.  

Java head

Cheers!

morena8162
on 2/18/12 1:51 pm - Canada
Thanks for thr update.. definately useful information...
Surgeon: March 02/12 Surgery: April 04/12
Looking forward to a brighter, healthier tomorrow ....  

birdiegirl
on 2/18/12 9:35 pm
I also just love coffee....the smell drives me crazy....however....caffeine is a diuretic.....so especially the first 6 - 9 months while getting your habits ingrained you might want to find a great decaffeinated coffee to drink.....
I love the Starbucks decaf.....tastes great to me..

Just now at almost 3 years out I have started having a regular coffee first thing in the morning....but when its gone, I am going to just go back to the Starbucks decaf. I really cant tell the difference

pinkjellybean
on 2/18/12 9:50 pm - Canada
VSG on 01/25/12
For the past couple of days I have been having one cup of Earl Grey tea in the morning.  I am also with TWH and the dietician approved this.

SURGERY at Toronto Western Hospital - VSG JANUARY 25th, 2012!!

5'9 - HW - 390 SW - 368.8  GW - 150

JennR
on 2/18/12 10:24 pm
My understanding was that it was the potential for the caffeine to irritate the stomach and that's why they wanted it cut out preop and for sometime postop to ensure good healing. How much caffeine causes a diuretic effect?

PatXYZ
on 2/19/12 3:48 am
TWH doesn't take this line on caffeine, nor have I been able to find anything in the research to back this assertion up. The only research I could find says that taking an NSAID with caffeine may act as an irritant to the stomach, but that's it. I have found studies that have studied caffeine as a risk factor for ulcers and they have agreed that is poses no risk (those studies are posted on an earlier thread about this topic). The dieticians at TWH say that it is fine pre-op and post-op and I agree with them.

The most recent research indicates that coffee only acts as a diuretic if you consume more than 5-7 cups a day. These studies from 2000, 2005 and 2007 found (respectively) that overall fluid intake was important but the presence of absence of caffeine in those drinks was unimpotant, that there was no diuretic effect for moderate amounts of caffeine, and that drinking a cup of coffee was equally as hydrating as drinking a glass of water.

http://www.jacn.org/content/19/5/591.full

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/16131696

http://www.medscape.com/viewarticle/559762
Karen M.
on 2/20/12 12:30 am - Mississauga, Canada
You're right, there have been a lot of studies on this lately.  I *do* find it makes me a wee bit more dehydrated than straigh****er, but I haven't had an issue with fully leaded.  Yet.  lol

Karen

Ontario Recipes Forum - http://www.obesityhelp.com/group/ontario_recipes/

MisterDiminishing
on 2/18/12 11:13 pm - Windsor, Canada
Buy a french press, burr mill grinder, and freshly roasted swiss water process decaf beans from a reputable vendor (not major grocery stores) and you'll never miss caffeine again while you enjoy the best cup of coffee.

Karen W.
on 2/19/12 12:26 am - Canada
I agree with Mr. Diminishing.  If you get good decaf, you'll never miss the caf.  My NUT told me that caffeine can irritate the pouch and affect healing, to keep away from it as much as possible.

RNY April 11, 2011       

Most Active
Recent Topics