Question about revision surgery (gastric band to bypass). Hamilton or Toronto?

fetisha
on 3/5/12 9:54 am - Hamilton, Ontario, Canada
 Hi there,

I apologize if there are already posts about revision surgery but I'm just starting out and need some help if it's available.

I've currently had the lap-band for 4 years now and have almost gained back most of the weight I lost.  I looked into the gastric bypass back then but the weight times were YEARS and the only viable option was the US at the time.  I was not willing to take the risk of going out of the country.

I live in Hamilton and have been reading on the Ontario Obesity Bariatric Network about revision surgery.  However, I noticed the criteria for St. Joesph's Hospital states that they don't accept patients who have had previous weight loss surgeries.  That was very disappointing to read.  

Has anyone here had revision surgery in Toronto?  Obviously that would be my next city of choice since I can't have surgery in Hamilton. 

I would LOVE to get some advice.  Also, does anyone know if revisions are done on patients who had their previous weight loss surgery at a private clinic rather than a hospital?

Thank you in advance!

Val
sam1am
on 3/5/12 10:15 pm
Hi Val,

Sorry you don't have any answers yet, but revisions are not overly common on this board, although they do happen.  I just wanted to say hi and welcome to the board as I know nothing about you question.

HOpefully someone who actually knows something will chime in soon.  Otherwise maybe wait a day or two and ask again, as sometimes those who have experience with this may be off the boards for a few days.

All the best!

Sandy                                           

"The best way to cheer yourself up is to try to cheer somebody  else up"                     

Mark Twain                                                       LW-Apple-Gold-Small.jpg image by PlicketyCatAnimation One      

fetisha
on 3/8/12 2:41 am - Hamilton, Ontario, Canada
 Thank you =)  I actually found out they do revision surgeries at St. Joseph's in Hamilton.  I have no idea why the Obesity Network website says they don't.  Now I just have to make an appointment with my doctor to print out the form and get the ball rolling.
Beverleymcl
on 3/5/12 11:34 pm - Canada

Hi Val,

I too am looking into a revision from RNY to a DS.  My postal code will send me to Ottawa but i am hoping to get transfered to Hamilton  to see Dr Hong.

The first step is to have your Dr register you at  www.Bariatricregistry.ca
You will be assigned to a hospital by postal code.

I understand that Dr Hong at St Joesphs does revisions and is one of the best .  You might want to do a little research on him to see if he can help you.

I believe they will do a revision regardless of if it was OOC or not.

Good luck
Beverley

Kingston Ontario WLS Support group  http://www.obesityhelp.com/group/KOWLSS/ if you are interested in reading more about my Kingston Bariatric RATC experience.

referral: 03/03/12 ~~  info session: 04/11/12~~Appoint w NP: 04/25/12 ~~ Blood Work: 04/26/12 ~~ Appoint w Dietitain: 04/30/12~~ Appoint w Social Worker: 05/01/12 ~~ Abominal Ultrasound: ????~~Sleep Test ??? ~~ Dr D Hong: ???
Sleep Test:

fetisha
on 3/8/12 2:47 am - Hamilton, Ontario, Canada
 Hi Beverly,

That kind of sucks that'd you would have to come all the way from Ottawa to Hamilton.  Do they not do that kind of revision there?

And yes, I did find out Hamilton does do revision surgeries.  They really need to remove that false information from the Obesity Network website.  I spoke to a woman at the St. Joseph's bariatric clinic and she said Dr. Hong does them.  So does Dr. Anvari.  I just had my gallbladder removed by Dr. Anvari at the end of Janaury and it went extremely smoothly.  I wouldn't mind having him for this.  However, if Dr. Hong is more experienced with revision surgeries then I'd obviously go with him.

I wish you the best of luck with getting your revision surgery.  Let me know if you need any help or info about Hamilton or St. Joseph's.  I've lived here my entire life, so I think I know my stuff =)  
Beverleymcl
on 3/9/12 5:49 am - Canada

Sorry for the misunderstanding Val, I live in Kingston but my postal code will send me to Ottawa.  Once I get approved  by mail, I will see If I can transfer to Hamilton to see Dr Hong.
I have been told that  they do not do revisions to DS in Ottawa and a DS is what I am looking to get. 

If there is any Drs that do revisions in Ottawa I might consider staying in Ottawa, its a little closer to home and I have family there.

The surgery is tricky because they have to undo the RNY and then preform the DS, for this I have learned from my research that Dr Hong is the best.

Also Dr M Grager in Montreal is top in this type of revision  but he is  self-pay, so not an option.

Thank you for the information, I am going to look  to see if I can find out anything about Dr  Anvari.

Thanks for your help Val, I might call on you for directions when the time comes.  I have only been to Hamilton once and that was about 38 years ago.

All the best with getting your forms filled out and move forward with this.

Beverley

Kingston Ontario WLS Support group  http://www.obesityhelp.com/group/KOWLSS/ if you are interested in reading more about my Kingston Bariatric RATC experience.

referral: 03/03/12 ~~  info session: 04/11/12~~Appoint w NP: 04/25/12 ~~ Blood Work: 04/26/12 ~~ Appoint w Dietitain: 04/30/12~~ Appoint w Social Worker: 05/01/12 ~~ Abominal Ultrasound: ????~~Sleep Test ??? ~~ Dr D Hong: ???
Sleep Test:

fetisha
on 3/10/12 1:33 am - Hamilton, Ontario, Canada
Oh, ok.  Still, coming from Kingston is quite a long way.  It'd be awesome if you could get it done in Ottawa instead.  Obviously you want to go with the most experienced surgeon in regards to this kind of revision.

Excuse my ignorance, but what type of surgery is DS?  Since I'm hoping to switch from lap band to RNY, do you mind if I ask why you're wanting a revision from RNY?  Do you have complications that are causing problems?

If you do end up coming to Hamilton I'd be more than happy to help you.  The area where St. Joseph's is, is SO confusing.  It's an extremely busy area and it has a TON of one-way streets.  Parking is also confusing and a ***** haha.

I'm going to make an appointment with my doctor hopefully this week or the next to get him to register with the registry and print out the form.

Is the form really long?  Are there a lot of questions?

Thanks!

Val 
Beverleymcl
on 3/10/12 10:13 pm - Canada
Val, Thank yoy.

I am going to message you about the DS and why I am wanting to be revised.

Sleep Test:

(deactivated member)
on 3/10/12 10:18 pm - Bumfuknowhere, Canada
Beverly, Dr. Gagner is not always self pay.  OHIP has paid for a few people to go to him for revisions from RNY to DS.  You may be able to still get referred from Ottawa to him as the other 2 were referred by their centre and not Dr. Hong.  Dr Hong only does virgin DS.
Beverleymcl
on 3/10/12 10:51 pm - Canada
Oh thank you Tracey,  I thought from all that I had read on Dr Gagner that he was ONLY self pay.... that is good to know because I understand he is another surgeon that is top in DS's. 

Hopefully I can talk Dr Dent into being revised to  a DS, I have heard he is Anti-DS

Thank you again !!

Sleep Test:

Most Active
Recent Topics