Surgery class at HRRH?

binaakwe
on 3/10/12 8:04 am - Lindsay, Canada
RNY on 08/13/12
Hi folks.

Has anyone been to a Humber River Hospital surgery class and would like to share what happens there?

I am curious as all heck and mine is on Friday March 16.

I am guessing we wont be asked to help with our own surgery? lol

Thanks for the help as always.

- Bin

Referral:     Dec 12, 2011                                        RNY Surgery:         August 13, 2012
          HW:          394 lbs                                                 SW:                        334 lbs

Gabygee
on 3/10/12 8:15 am - Canada
Hey Bin -

it;s been over a year since I went, so I may be a little out of date, but here goes:

First they give you a test. I know, sound counterintuitive, doesn't it?
Has to do with establishing how much you already know about your physiology and the effects (chemically) that the surgery will have on your body.

Then they give you a lecture on what you can expect before, during and immediately after the surgery.
Then they tell you about your malabsorption and and restrictions you will be expected to live with for the first year, post-op.
Pay particular attention to the vitamins and minerals - they will show up in the final test.

Then they administer another quiz, very similar to the first, to prove that you have learned something on the day.

Some of this is to do with covering their butts - in other words, you were warned about not eating fats and sugars, so if you do it and experience problems, it's not their fault.
But part of it is about weeding the serious people from those who won't have the intestinal fortitude (pun INTENDED!) to follow through on what is required of you this next year.

Be prepared to take notes.

cayleighsmom
on 3/10/12 8:17 am
RNY on 06/05/12
i just attended mine yesterday.  It started off with the social worker explaining her role, and some of the expectations you have and should'nt have of surgery.  Gave you info on related costs of the surgery, and where to get the help/resources you may need.  then the dietician came in and explained the process with a nutrional point of view. Expectations of food stages, vitamins, and mineral supplements.  As well as the surgery procedure.  It's kind of loke the orientation but in a lot more detail.  Hope this innfo helps

Barbie
hobbithands
on 3/10/12 9:04 am - Brussels, Canada
RNY on 05/30/12
   I go to my class on the 20th. Barbie did you have to take the tests that were discussed above?

cayleighsmom
on 3/10/12 9:10 am
RNY on 06/05/12
there was a little quiz, 10 questions, they ask at the begiing of the class.  Then at the end they give you the same quiz to see what you learned.  Don't sweat it, if you have researched the procedure, and the lifestyle change you'll do fine.  It really is quite easy.  The class did last almost the full 3 hours, but went by very quickly..Good luck and enjoy
Leanne1
on 3/10/12 10:04 am - Newmarket, Canada
My friend has the same class that day too!!
Most Active
Recent Topics