NSDs at sewing class

Onward and
Downward

on 3/29/12 9:33 pm - Canada
RNY on 11/07/12
I decided to take a beginning sewing class, and the first class was this week.  I really like the instructor, but there were a few non-scale defeats that went along with the first class and afterwards (I'm pre-op as I think most of you know).

In the first class, we didn't sew anything - we were introduced to all the tools we'll need.  We're going to make a simple pair of pants as an easy first project.  I was loving the class right up until the instructor announced that we were going to pair up AND TAKE EACH OTHER'S MEASUREMENTS.  

My mind raced wildly when she announced that.  I was scrambling to figure out an escape route, but there was none, and we had to go through with it.  Every other person in that class was thin, except for the one man in the class (who was also thinner than me), and there was no way I was going to pair up with him to take measurements!

So, I ended up pairing up with the smallest woman in the class (who was sitting next to me), and she did my measurements.  I survived it, actually, and she was matter-of-fact about it, didn't do or say anything humiliating.  It wasn't as bad as I thought, but none of us knew each other and we had to do each other's measurements on the first day!  We didn't even do one of those opening exercises where we introduce ourselves to each other.  It's like, welcome to class - here, a stranger whose name you don't even know is going to take your measurements.

When the instructor brought someone to the front to show the class how to do it, she was careful not to call out the numbers, but just showed them to her so she could write them down for herself.  But then after we had done each other's measurements, she came around and did them again to make sure we done it right and had our correct measurements.  And I noticed that she said a couple of numbers out loud for a couple of people and I was dreading her coming to me.

When she did, she said my numbers out loud - every single one of them!  Now, I don't think people were paying a lot of attention, but still, it was humiliating.  All of the measurements were in the 50's, of course.

So those were my first two non-scale defeats - huge measurements, and having to have strangers know them.

Then, I went shopping last night for my pattern, which is our first assignment this week.  I went to Fabricland and looked through the catalogues.  And I realized that even the large size patterns only go up to a size that is a few inches smaller than my measurements.  I was horrified.  So now I have to go to the next class with my pattern (the biggest one they had) that is a few inches smaller than I am, and ask the instructor how to adjust it when I'm cutting it out. 

And I'm kind of terrified that she's going to use this as a teaching moment for the class on how to adjust a pattern!  She's been a fitter and dressmaker forever, so measurements are nothing to her - she's seen everything, and is very kind.  But she doesn't seem to have any idea, despite the fact that she's large herself, how excruciating it is for a fat person to be centred out in a room full of thin people.

Can't wait for my RNY!  :(

Referral to registry: Oct 21, 2011    Orientation (TWH): Feb 22, 2012     Surgery: Nov 7, 2012

Come to Toronto East End Coffee Nights! Click here for details.

ToNewBeginnings
on 3/29/12 9:38 pm
I think you should bring it to her attention so she can be a little more aware the next time and perhaps be more sensitive.

Onward and
Downward

on 3/29/12 9:41 pm - Canada
RNY on 11/07/12
Yes, I plan to do that.  I think it would also be a good idea for her to do an icebreaker of some kind where we introduce ourselves to each other so that when we have to do each other's measurements we don't feel like deer in the headlights.  I don't know, maybe I was the only one who felt like that. 

Referral to registry: Oct 21, 2011    Orientation (TWH): Feb 22, 2012     Surgery: Nov 7, 2012

Hanneli xoxo
on 3/29/12 10:57 pm - Sudbury, Canada
RNY on 10/30/12

no, I absolutely agree with you that she NEEDS to do an ice breaker when she starts a new class. It is important to educate people to these little ignorances.  She probably does not even realize the impact it has on some people.  I dont know any teachers who do not do those exersises.

I am willing to bet she just does not realize its importance

hbrunet72
on 3/29/12 9:48 pm - Canada
 Being someone who sews myself and pre-op, I totally understand what this felt like.  Where is this sewing class, I will join you if it is close enough.
Referral Received July 28, 2010. Orientation at Toronto Western Hospital April 20, 2011. Surgeon consult May 11, 2012. Pre-admission July 13, 2012. Surgery July 23, 2012, St. Mike's Hospital, Toronto. Officially on the bench!
Thank you Dr. Rotstein!

Onward and
Downward

on 3/29/12 10:56 pm - Canada
RNY on 11/07/12
I've just sent you a PM (I think! Never done that before, just replied to other ones!). :)

Monica M.
on 3/29/12 11:15 pm - Penetanguishene, Canada
I agree with TNB. Ask her to be more sensitive.

(deactivated member)
on 3/29/12 11:57 pm - Guelph, Canada
 check online for patterns...fabricland can only hold so many pattern books...my measurements are up in the50's too and i was able to find a pattern for pants... i think it may be in the "sewing for dummies" collection....(i hate those titles btw no one is a dummy, that word even makes my blood boil) 
Most Active
Recent Topics