Question about liquids

Sabrina T.
on 4/7/12 12:07 pm - Orillia, Canada
 Hi Everyone,  I have a question and I should probably know this considering I'm almost 5 months out.....but I was wondering why we need to wait to drink after eating?  Is it bc they don't want us filling up on liquids or is it bc the liquids push the food through our system too fast for decent absorption?  Just curious, thanks!

Robin H.
on 4/7/12 12:09 pm - Thunder Bay, Canada
 i was told 30 minutes

JJ_
on 4/7/12 12:37 pm
If you are drinking liquids with your meals, then it does push the food through your intestines and you may not get the full sensation and that leads to wanting to eat more often.....not the direction you want to be headed in.
SandpaperSandy
on 4/7/12 12:55 pm - Kitchener, Canada
think of your stomach as a funnel, with the small end  opening directly to your intestines. liquids won't ever stay in your stomach.  the valve that use to contain all intake was removed duirng the RNY operation.   drinking with food flushes the food through the opening so you won't feel satiated.    it takes about 20 minutes for any food in your stomach to fall through the opening as long as you don't drink with the food.    (as told to me by Dr. Reed about RNY)

HaroldC
on 4/7/12 10:19 pm - Canada
I was told by the TWH to wait 30 minutes after eating all the time so not to stretch my pouch.

Everybody is different but I am trying to stick to the letter of the law.

Good luck.
Harold

SW 291  GW 199.9 CW 180 Surgery: TWH Dr. Penner Dec 20 2011
Celebrating life and opportunities for new beginings!!!

charolli
on 4/8/12 3:09 am - Canada
I have never really had a problem with drinking and eating at the same time, so i reviewed my notes to find out the answer. Apparently everyone tolerates drinking and eating at the same time differently and TWH's handouts say to experiment. But ultimately the reason they recomend the 30 minutes is because it can cause dumping syndrome by pushing food into the small bowel too quickly.  I am 4.5 months out and still have difficulty with meats and fish not cooked in some type of sauce and breads. After a small bite things gets stuck in my pouch and the only fix is to drink while eating. So i think if you do not have a problem with it is okay to drink 1/4 cup with meals.

RW 272; OW 248; preopW234.5, CW 168
Referral August 2010, Ort May 25, 2011, Surgeon consult Sept 9, 2011, Surgery Nov 21, 2011

Most Active
Recent Topics