Headaches/low blood sugar on Optifast?

NorthernStar
on 5/9/12 2:22 am - London, Canada
RNY on 06/25/12

Did anyone have an issue with headaches or low blood sugar (and the fun that comes with that, especially nausea) when on Optifast?

I am gearing up for 3 weeks of Optifast. I think I can deal with the hunger and the taste/texture of the shakes, but I'm worried about potential headaches or low blood sugar, which I've had on low carb diets I've tried in the past. Just wondering the best way to deal with this so I can be prepared. I am not diabetic, but I have had a nasty reactions to cutting carbs in the past.

*Lindsey*

Keeping off 133 lbs since 2012!

Referral to Bariatric Registry: May 2011   /   Surgery (HRRH): June 25, 2012         

(deactivated member)
on 5/9/12 2:38 am - Bumfuknowhere, Canada
I had headaches for a few days on Opti so just took lots of extra strength tylenol.
Gabygee
on 5/9/12 2:39 am - Canada
You will likely experience headaches (I did) but they didn't have as much to do with low blood sugar as they did with the swings in my hormone levels.

As you flush the fat out of your liver on the OptiFast, you are also flushing some of the stored estrogen. So you will experience mood swings, hot flashes - and headaches.
We are supposed to be off caffeine as well by the time we start optiFast - which is too bad because sometimes a jolt of caffeine will help in that case.

But it usually lasts 2-3 days, then your body adjusts, and you're okay again.
I was able to stave off the worst of the headaches with over-the-counter medication.

NorthernStar
on 5/9/12 2:51 am - London, Canada
RNY on 06/25/12
That's good to hear. I think I can handle the headaches, I get regular migraines anyway so I cope with those on a regular basis.

I'm just really hoping I can get through my work day. I don't want to miss more work, but more than that I don't want to be home by myself during this period.

*Lindsey*

Keeping off 133 lbs since 2012!

Referral to Bariatric Registry: May 2011   /   Surgery (HRRH): June 25, 2012         

Monica M.
on 5/9/12 3:08 am - Penetanguishene, Canada
Take tylenol for headaches. Talk to your surgeon/dietitian about the low blood sugar issues.

Mike Terry
on 5/9/12 11:26 am - Staffa, Canada
   I suffered from being light headed and nauseous when I was fasting. Dietitian suggested Gravol with Ginger, it helped out.

thunderhand
on 5/9/12 10:25 pm - mississauga, Canada
VSG on 06/11/12
i was advised to cut my insulin in half and watch  my levels very closely while on opti..

have not started yet but was advised. 
Most Active
Recent Topics