Any tips on staying comfortable post-op?

NorthernStar
on 6/27/12 10:40 am - London, Canada
RNY on 06/25/12
I am finding laying down in bed very uncomfortable. I have to prop myself up to the point that I am sitting and am worried I'll have a tough time sleeping like this. If I lay completely flat on my back, I feel short of breath, and I can't even lay on my side it would be way too painful.

Any tips? How long will this last?

*Lindsey*

Keeping off 133 lbs since 2012!

Referral to Bariatric Registry: May 2011   /   Surgery (HRRH): June 25, 2012         

cayleighsmom
on 6/27/12 10:45 am
RNY on 06/05/12
i used pillows all around me, and sort of layed on my side. I was also able to lay on my tummy if i propped pillows under one raised leg.

Sorry i can't be more help. i was really lucky with post op pain. Did'nt really have any after 48 hours.  I would suggest to stay on top of your pain meds, and that should help your comfort level.

good Luck,
Barbie
(deactivated member)
on 6/27/12 11:15 am - Guelph, Canada
 first try to decide whats causing the pain.. is it the surgery OR gas? if its gas get walking and farting.. gas pain will rumble in your tummy it will move around as you change positions.. if its not gas pain.. rate it... anything over a 5 I would be heading back to the hospital. Were you given pain meds post op? if so take them and take them ontime dont be brave and let the pain get out of control.. its easier to treat early on, rather then playing catch up when you are beside yourself in pain. 
Blu-Diva
on 6/27/12 11:21 am - Hamilton, Canada
It should last very long, me about 2 weeks. once you start moving and walking it gets easier. have a speedy recovery. 

Surgery date May 7 / 2012
Highest 312 lbs - Pre Op 297lbs - now 199 lbs
I know now that my location was never my destination.

Blu-Diva      

Laura H.
on 6/27/12 12:08 pm - Canada
 If you have a recliner, what about trying to sleep in that?  I have used mine when I have broken my ribs and plan on using it after I have surgery.  Hope you feel better soon.

Laura H.

(deactivated member)
on 6/27/12 12:08 pm - Straford, Canada
 I had to start moving, a lot, to get the gas moving, as it was causing most of my pain and I was seriously ocnstipated from the narcotics.  I also found propping both my knees up with pilows helped for short durations but I had to stop the narcotics and get moving to really improve!  

Hope you feel better soon!  Ian 
(deactivated member)
on 6/27/12 12:28 pm
Try a little heat too, just make sure the heating pad isn't too hot. Just having warmth really helps me when I have a problem with gas. Let all that gas rip if you can hopefully that is all it is.
PatXYZ
on 6/27/12 12:48 pm
I know exactly how you feel :(

I slept pretty comfortably in a recliner chair, and a heating pad on the belly was a life saver. Rest well.
I had OHIP approved Duodenal Switch surgery with Dr. Dennis Hong at St. Joseph's Hamilton on March 7th, 2012. Want more information on the DS in Ontario? Send me a private message!
NorthernStar
on 6/27/12 4:24 pm - London, Canada
RNY on 06/25/12
Thanks for the replies. It's really not pain at all when I lie down, it's more discomfort, like when you just can't get in a comfortable position.

We don't have a recliner unfortunately but my husband helped me get a little creative with the pillows and I was able to find a position on my side that's very comfortable, with a pillow propped up behind by back and holding one between my arms, plus 3 under my head and 2 behind my knees. Seems to work pretty well!

*Lindsey*

Keeping off 133 lbs since 2012!

Referral to Bariatric Registry: May 2011   /   Surgery (HRRH): June 25, 2012         

Brenda T.
on 6/28/12 12:36 am - Oshawa, Canada
RNY on 05/14/12
I'm a side sleeper and use a body pillow and when it got too sore on the one side I would do a 30 point turn
onto the other side. Very carefully and slowly I rolled over. I also would prop myself
up while on my back, but I had to defend my stomach from being layed on by my cats, lol

Everyday should get better.

Brenda             Visit my profile for timelines                         My  is Monica M.

Most Active
Recent Topics