Solid foods

hobbithands
on 6/29/12 3:43 am - Brussels, Canada
RNY on 05/30/12
So its that time and I am terrified.
What do I eat I have the book but I dont know. I am doubting everything. Help???? 

Monica M.
on 6/29/12 3:52 am - Penetanguishene, Canada
oh gosh i remember that time!! it's so anxiety causing. I was afraid to try anything new... i wouldnt eat anything "out" that i hadn't already eaten at home.

just pick something out of the book, and try it. Try some cheese, or something you've been craving. You'll be fine, i know you will. Just remember to still chew really well.

flyingwoman
on 6/29/12 4:18 am

Take it slow.... one thing at a time, and make sure to chew everything to mush before you swallow. Transition to solids can be a hard one for some. If you get pain, or discomfort, stop eating, wait a while and try again.

Try softer solids to begin with... poached eggs, cheese are good starts.

Avoid dry (grilled) meats until you've mastered softer sauced meats (like chili or stew). You might want to start with a soft fish like tilapia, then work up to something like salmon or trout, then work up to chicken or pork, and I've heard beef last, esp if it is grilled (beef chili should be OK though).

Take it slow, LISTEN to your pouch, and if you have any problems or you don't understand your reaction, give us a post and we'll help you figure it out.

Good luck!

p.s. some of us found solids early in the morning very challenging because scar tissue can be very inflexible. You might want to stick with protein shakes and soft foods until noon and "prime the pouch" with a hot drink half an hour before eating solids for the first few weeks.

Starting BMI 69 w comorbidities | 55 of the weight lost above was pre-op.    
Blu-Diva
on 6/30/12 12:18 pm - Hamilton, Canada
 If you feel a funny feeling in ur upper chest slow down, and new things just try a couple of spoon fulls to see if everything gonna be ok. You do great.

Surgery date May 7 / 2012
Highest 312 lbs - Pre Op 297lbs - now 199 lbs
I know now that my location was never my destination.

Blu-Diva      

Most Active
Recent Topics