vsg 3 yrs ago, not very successful, what next?

nicholivolkoff
on 7/26/12 4:34 pm, edited 7/26/12 4:35 am - Canada
Hello, I had a vsg at Barix in Michigan 3 years ago. I went from 240 something to 150, stayed at 150-155 for most of thate time. In the last year I have gained 15 pounds, and feel I need a second stage surgery such as DS. Does anyone know what I can do, is ther a self pay in southern Ontario that will do ds or even RNY as a revision? What kid of cost would I be looking at for a second step surgery? I never got down to a low weight, now regaining, need help. I am pretty sure the OHIP would deny me a revision, I have no health issues due to weight elated stuff. I am just north of Brampton, ON, and am off work, so can do anything and plenty of recovery time at hand.

THANKS SO MUCH. PS surgery is the only option for me, I cannot control myself. Please don't recommend the old exercise and calorie counting stuff, just won't happen. Only realistic here.
ReadyToLiveLisa
on 7/26/12 5:08 pm - Hamilton, Canada
RNY on 08/02/13
Hello!. 

I have not yet had my surgery, but even so...I would suggest that you talk to your doctor about the different options for you, I am not sure if any surgery would be good after having a WLS...But I am no doctor. Be safe.

~ RTLL 

Referral:April 4th, 2012.Letter Received for Orientation:June 4th, 2012.Orientation: Sept. 24th, 2012. Blood Work: Dec 14th, 2012. Dietician: January 30th, 2013. ECG Done: January 30th, 2013 Gastroscopy: Feb. 5th, 2013. Social Worker: Feb. 8th, 2013(Canceled, due to snow storm). Abdominal Ultrasound: Feb. 12th, 2013. Surgeons Appt. Feb. 20th, 2013. Social Worker(Rescheduled): Feb. 25th, 2013. Internist: March 4th, 2013. Meet the Surgeon: March 12th, 2013.No Sleep Test Needed. Opti Started: July 16 - 30, 2013.Nutrition Class: July 18th, 2013. PATTS: July 19th, 2013 Surgery: August 2nd, 2013.

(deactivated member)
on 7/26/12 9:08 pm - Bumfuknowhere, Canada
You are right that OHIP will not pay for a 2nd part if you don't qualify and I'm guessing at 165, you don't have a BMI of 40.  You can't self pay in Ontario for RNY or DS as they are covered by OHIP so you would have to go out of province or out of country.  Dr. Gagner in Montreal does both but you would have to self pay with him.  Not even sure if he would do the switch with your BMI that low.  Your best bet would be to contact him for pricing and to find out if it's even possible.

Here is a link to his page that has his phone number and address on it.  He does have an email addy that I have seen others post but it isn't on this page.

www.obesityhelp.com/profiles/bariatric-surgeon/dr-michel-gag ner/

Perhaps someone will chime in that has the email.  There are a few on this board that have been to him and they all speak highly of him.
Monica M.
on 7/26/12 9:09 pm - Penetanguishene, Canada
I'm almost 18 months post RNY. At this stage of the game, its all about keeping my head in there, i cannot rely on my surgery to get and keep me at goal. You need to do some soul searching and work on your head. Surgery is not a solution, its only a tool to help you.

I'd suggest some cognitive behavioural therapy, or something like overeatesr anonymous.

ToNewBeginnings
on 7/26/12 10:09 pm, edited 7/26/12 10:10 pm
I have to second what Monica said.

No surgery will keep you at your goal. You have to use your tool and develop some control.

Keep in mind you have regained 15 pounds not 80. You can do hard things.

Bonnie ABC
on 7/26/12 10:30 pm - Smiths Falls, Canada
RNY on 09/16/08 with
If your bmi is normal, you are outta luck.   Unless you self pay.  
I'm glad you are being realistic, but it sounds like you have given up.  And you know, the DS is not a cure.  There are DS's who gain weight back too.   Last year I was exactly where you are.  Feeling that I made a wrong decision with the choice of surgery.   And a very kind dear friend who had the ds said "It's all about how you work it'.   She never got the weight all off I believe and has re-gained.   She's fighting.    Another gained and then took it off again.    The DS is not a cure!!
I won't recommend excercise or calorie counting stuff, cause you don't seem to want to hear that.   But I don't know anything that will help you if you don't be honest with yourself.   Any of the surgeries requires you change your focus.   Towards movement and better eating.  If you choose to not do so, this is what happens.  It's a consequence.   
Sorry, no puppy dogs or rainbows here.   I'm just being honest.    
I also want to mention there is a facebook group for those over three years out because I'm not hearing you are attending any meetings.    Meetings and sharing are a key to success.  

Bonnie

I can do hard things, life is teaching me that I can.
             Lost 222lbs with rny, 20 lbs regain.

Plastics, July 2010 with Dr. Sauceda in Monterrey, Mexico
Karine
on 7/26/12 11:32 pm - Canada
VSG on 06/25/12
The surgery IS NOT a solution.  I am one month post op, and I am still feeling the urge to eat bad stuff.  I am a binger, I know what "having no control" is all about.  But even though you don't want to hear it, probably because it will bring you to the most challenging adventure of all, you have to work on yourself, not only your body, your mind.

I am sorry, but I do not think a DS is the solution for you, after reading what you said about not being able to control yourself.

But since this is your life, here is Dr Gagner's email, this is THE best way to contact him

[email protected]

I hope you will choose to go to meetings and therapy before you go for a DS

Best of luck to you!

Karine.
Diminishing Dawn
on 7/26/12 11:51 pm - Windsor, Canada
I'm not sure why you think you are unsuccessful.

VSG is a promised 60-70% of your weight loss. You've accomplished that. 

You had 15 lbs of regain.

Guess what?

You're extremely normal.

You need to be realistic of where you have been and where you are going.  The VSG has done it's job well.  You are not morbidly obese.  You are around 165 lbs.  That's much better than being 240 lbs. 

Surgery does not promise us that we are going to be 120 lbs.  It doesn't promise us a size.  We have to learn that wherever we end up, we need to be grateful for the health we have, the mobility we have, and where we have been and where we are now.  You even said "I have no health issues".  Isn't that the whole point? That's what makes surgery a success.  Maybe it's more a question of reframing your thoughts than anticipating another surgery as a solution.  Some self love perhaps.  I'm struggling with that too.  Feel free to come and join my bariatric long timers group (listed in my signature).  We all get that and know how it is to mentally struggle after WLS.  I think that's more of what you may be struggling with (head issues) more than a weight issue.  (Please don't be offended by this as that's not my intention but all of us have to learn to be grateful about the health and benefits that we do get from wls, despite perhaps not attaining a certain number on a scale).  

Revision out of the question unless you want to self pay for a band. 

At 165, you are a fairly normal person.  Yes you could lose weight.  It's going to mean perhaps doing the whole diet thing again - going to weigh****chers, working out at a gym, strength training (it raises your metabolism)   etc.  If you don't want to hear about that I think realistically you are looking for some magic pill that doesn't exist. 

"I cannot control myself" sounds alot like what many of the members on my group are struggling with, perhaps some support would help.

Dawn
(Who constantly struggles with the same issues).

17+ years post op RNY. first year blog here or My LongTimer blog. Tummy Tuck Dr. Matic 2014 -Ohip funded panni Windsor WLS support group.message me anytime!
HW:290 LW:139 RW: 167 CW: 139

Bonnie ABC
on 7/27/12 6:45 am - Smiths Falls, Canada
RNY on 09/16/08 with
 You mean I'm not going to be 120 lbs.....  can my leg be 120lbs?  lo

Bonnie

I can do hard things, life is teaching me that I can.
             Lost 222lbs with rny, 20 lbs regain.

Plastics, July 2010 with Dr. Sauceda in Monterrey, Mexico
nicholivolkoff
on 7/27/12 12:30 am - Canada
THANKS TO ALL WHO RESPONDED. All advice greatly appreciated, and of course no offense taken. It is what I needed to hear. I am sure I just needed some support, and that is exactly what I got here.

I will just try harder, instead of looking for the magic. Yes, DS at this stage is extreme. Work is needed.

THANKS AGAIN TO ALL.     MUCH APPRECIATED!!!!!!!
Most Active
Recent Topics