Dr. Glazier

Cherdra
on 7/27/12 5:09 pm - Pickering, Canada
I had my appointment with Dr Glazier at HRRH today, had to wait quite a while to see him, but it was well  worth it. What a nice man. He must of apologized about 10 times for making me wait. I had my ECG and I am booked for my sleep study Aug 6th. Then I go back and see him again on Aug 13th, I am sure I am going to have sleep apena due to my size so I am not sure if that will change anything going forward with having surgery. I sure hope not. If anyone was told they had sleep apena after the study, could you please let me know what hapens next.

Thanks,
Cheryl 

MissGlitter
on 7/27/12 5:56 pm - Bergen Op Zoom, Netherlands
RNY on 09/07/12
I don't know about the sleep apnea  but a little advice for the sleep study - bring your own pillow!  I did not do this and was very sorry.  The sleep clinic pillows are terrible.  

Click my name to see my timeline.  "Nothing great was ever achieved without enthusiasm."  - Ralph Waldo Emerson.

chipmunk_roasting
on 7/28/12 5:35 am - Ottawa, ON, Canada
Check with your sleep clinic re bringing your own pillow;  mine, the West Ottawa Sleep Centre, does not allow your own pillow.

I was glad they did not -- the thought of bedbugs from someone else's pillow makes my skin crawl (figuratively).

:)

mmm

Referral - March 2011 // Orientation - Ottawa - July 8, 2011 // Surgery - January 23, 2013

Cherdra
on 7/28/12 6:26 pm - Pickering, Canada
Thanks

Jason W.
on 7/27/12 8:12 pm - Canada
It takes a few weeks for the sleep study information to get back to the doctors office. If you have sleep apnea you will require a cpap machine. They are roughly $800 to $1000, depending on type, mask needed etc. Usually covered by extended medical.

You will use the machine nightly to help you sleep better. You will also need to bring your cpap machine to surgery.

I had severe sleep apnea and it took a while to get use to the cpap machine. But once I got use to it, I would not sleep without it.

Fortunately I no longer need it as I have lost enough weight post-surgery.

Good luck
Orientation Jan 8 2012   Group Nut/Surgery Class Jan 23 2012
1st Surgeon Meeting Feb 2 2012    Dr. Glazer Feb 9 2012
Social Worker Feb 23 2012    Psych/Nut/Nurse Mar 8 2012
2nd Surgeon Meeting Mar 28 2012    Optifast April 18 2012 
RNY Surgery May 9 2012
  Now if I could only grow an ass.....

Monica M.
on 7/27/12 8:39 pm - Penetanguishene, Canada
If you have sleep APNEA they'll sell you a CPAP machine to use. You'll have to bring it to the hospital with you for when you have surgery.

ruth63
on 7/27/12 9:43 pm - aurora, Canada
I would be quite surprise that you do not have sleep apena due to you weight.  I would have hoped your own doctor would have suggested it  be looked at as they monitored your weight.

Many years ago when I was told I had sleep apena, I decided I couldn't;t handle the mask (I have always been a terrible sleeper) and have slept sitting up for several years. When I had the test again  prior to surgery they did the test that way I sleep sitting up  and no sleep apena.  Interesting that I bet many people keep with this serious condition and abandon the mask and are never told they could look at another option, I am down 80 lbs. and at 100 I will ask for another sleep study, this time sleeping the normal way and see the results.

If you have a choice and live in Toronto, don;t go to the centre on Finch between bathurst and dufferin perhaps called St. John's. Very hot, loudest over head fans.  I don;t know how they expect anyone to sleep there
My roommate in hospital had one on and no sleep for me, terrible sound.  If you need one I hope you can handle the sound.

Have you see my note about a 15 parking pass for $45.00 at Humber.  Really pays for its self after 3 uses.  Get it at the parking booth in the parking lot.

Good luck
flyingwoman
on 7/28/12 3:46 pm
 The sleep position technique does not work for everyone, only a small subset of patience. It does not work for those with deep oxegenation issues.

Starting BMI 69 w comorbidities | 55 of the weight lost above was pre-op.    
Cherdra
on 7/28/12 6:28 pm - Pickering, Canada
Thanks, and yes I bought my pass on Friday :)

(deactivated member)
on 7/27/12 11:33 pm - Canada
RNY on 08/10/12
 Most of the cost for the cpap machine is covered by Ohip, the remainder ( less than $300) has to be paid by you or your private insurance if you have. 
Most Active
Recent Topics