No more weightloss for me.....

Jason W.
on 9/14/12 3:04 am - Canada
I was informed by my Doctor and yesterday my surgeon that I should just maintain at the weight I am at.

At 6 foot 1 and hovering around 200lbs, it has been suggested that if I lose more I could start to look a bit sickly. So the maintenance begins.

The problem is.............I am still losing a pound or two a week. I need to eat more food. Never would I consider doing that before.

I love to exercise, so that i will not give up.

My meet with the dietician is next week...............maybe I will get a second opinion, or some pointers.
Orientation Jan 8 2012   Group Nut/Surgery Class Jan 23 2012
1st Surgeon Meeting Feb 2 2012    Dr. Glazer Feb 9 2012
Social Worker Feb 23 2012    Psych/Nut/Nurse Mar 8 2012
2nd Surgeon Meeting Mar 28 2012    Optifast April 18 2012 
RNY Surgery May 9 2012
  Now if I could only grow an ass.....

Monica M.
on 9/14/12 3:11 am - Penetanguishene, Canada
i agree with that. You should stop losing. How about adding some carbs?

formerlythebigguy
on 9/14/12 4:52 am
Being 6'1" weighing 200lbs gives you a BMI of 26.4. My current BMI is 26.2 and everyone is asking me to stop losing weight too, but I point out to them that I am still in the overweight range (25-29.9). I am surprised they would ask us to stop losing weight when it is the BMI scale that they use to qualify us for surgery. My goal from the start was to get into the normal weight range on the BMI scale and that is what I intend on doing before I stop losing weight. I guess I just like the idea of having a "normal" weight for the first time in my life. Good luck on your journey.
avivaps
on 9/13/12 10:33 pm, edited 9/13/12 10:34 pm
RNY on 02/28/12
 I understand your point but BMI is not completely accurate.  If Jason is working out a lot (body building for example) he could plot out in an overweight or even obese BMI range but have a VERY low body fat percentage. That is why it is important to look at the whole picture and not just any measurement in isolation.

Jason, congrats on your success to date and keep working that tool and enjoying your new you. I have reached a normal BMI and good body fat percentage and am struggling a little  with when and how to slip into maintenance. Not getting the kind of guidance I was hoping for from my program. Hope you have better luck :)

Good luck with maintenance. 

Andrea. 

RNY February 2012

starting BMI 40

Karen M.
on 9/14/12 5:35 am - Mississauga, Canada
Yes, but.... dependant on the amount of extra skin you have "hanging around", you may well BE at a normal BMI - it's skewed by the extra weight of the skin.

Karen

Ontario Recipes Forum - http://www.obesityhelp.com/group/ontario_recipes/

Jason W.
on 9/14/12 5:48 am - Canada
It all depends on your muscle mass my friend. Muscle weighs more than fat. Lots of weight trainers in the 30 BMI because of their muscle mass with less than 2% body fat.

The BMI scale is a loose science at best. Everyone is going to be different. Lots of disagreement about using BMI as a weight goal.

I use the fact that I have very little fat left to lose. With a 34 pant and a medium shirt I am comfortable with that, as is my Doctor. I believe the BMI is the only scale out there to determine mass. Until they come up with a better system.

J
Orientation Jan 8 2012   Group Nut/Surgery Class Jan 23 2012
1st Surgeon Meeting Feb 2 2012    Dr. Glazer Feb 9 2012
Social Worker Feb 23 2012    Psych/Nut/Nurse Mar 8 2012
2nd Surgeon Meeting Mar 28 2012    Optifast April 18 2012 
RNY Surgery May 9 2012
  Now if I could only grow an ass.....

Karen M.
on 9/14/12 5:55 am - Mississauga, Canada
So you're telling us that 1 pound of muscle weighs more than 1 pound of fat?  Interesting.

BTW, honeybush is a type of tea.  I don't appreciate messages in my email inbox regarding any other honey's bush.  Thankyouverymuch.

Karen

P_Floyd
on 9/14/12 6:15 am - Canada
 Not to answer for Jason at all but I would suggest that he means muscle has a higher density that fat.

Long you live and high you fly 
And smiles you'll give and tears you'll cry 
And all you touch and all you see 
Is all your life will ever be.

DSOTM

Karen M.
on 9/14/12 6:17 am - Mississauga, Canada
*smiles*'

Yeah, I know... I just always get a kick out of how everyone, including myself!, phrases that. lol

Karen

Aca-Verity
on 9/14/12 1:28 pm - Canada
VSG on 06/06/12
  OMG Karen....you crack me up 

Verity

Most Active
Recent Topics