Alcohol in flavour extracts?

Onward and
Downward

on 10/19/12 8:32 pm - Canada
RNY on 11/07/12
I bought some bottles of flavour extracts (you know the kind - banana extract, orange extract, almond extract, etc.) to use in my optifast.

I just noticed, though, that one of the ingredients in the some of the extracts is ALCOHOL! 

Are we allowed to use this?  I only use a few drops, and I've noticed others mentioning that they used extracts in their optifast.  But if there's alcohol in it, could that affect how well my liver shrinks before surgery?

Referral to registry: Oct 21, 2011    Orientation (TWH): Feb 22, 2012     Surgery: Nov 7, 2012

Come to Toronto East End Coffee Nights! Click here for details.

(deactivated member)
on 10/19/12 8:37 pm - Straford, Canada
 the few drops of alchohol you'll get from the flavourings (assuming you're not using bottles of it) is unlikely to counteract the effects of optifast.  email a dietician if you're really concerned.  
Onward and
Downward

on 10/19/12 9:15 pm - Canada
RNY on 11/07/12
I'll definitely do that on Monday, just wondering if I should lay off on them over the weekend.  Thought others might have asked that question of their centres before me.

On the other hand, my pina colada-flavoured optifast sure seem a lot more interesting now that I know they have (a minute bit of) alcohol in them! :)

Referral to registry: Oct 21, 2011    Orientation (TWH): Feb 22, 2012     Surgery: Nov 7, 2012

Come to Toronto East End Coffee Nights! Click here for details.

(deactivated member)
on 10/19/12 9:24 pm - Straford, Canada
  mmmm pina coladas... 
Beth1970
on 10/19/12 9:27 pm - Canada
RNY on 10/11/12
I had extracts in many of my optifast shakes, and it didn't seem to affect anything. My surgery went well.  It certainly made drinking them a lot easier!

Cuter_w_Curves
on 10/19/12 9:49 pm - Oshawa, Ontario, Canada
VSG on 01/08/13
This has actually been addressed a couple times.

I know at HRRH before she found out I needed the Protein Modified Diet she was telling me decaf coffee, and extracts were ok... For the amount you are consuming it truly should be fine... You get more from mouth wash with alcohol content. You truly do... Unless you are using 1/2 a bottle per shake and if you are... You are wasting it. After a point there is no additional flavour. i promise. lol

That said... If alcohol is an issue (or you need to make it through the weekend), the decaf instant coffee crystals are still ok, vanilla beans from a pod to boost flavour still works, Mio, and Crystal light type things work too.

Do what you feel comfortable with but at the end of the day... Remember. They would much rather you drink the shakes and get them down then struggle with them.

Dr Sullivan VSG Jan. 8th, 2013!
  Lost 100 lbs in a year post op with a VSG. 

Julia P.
on 10/19/12 10:31 pm - Canada
RNY on 10/16/12
I'm pretty sure extracts are okay - they are on the Optifast sheet that we got at the meet the surgeon appointment, I think?  So as long as you go fairly easy on them, I think you'll be okay!

Referral - December 2011 * Orientation TWH - March 13th, 2012 * Nurse Practitioner - April 17th, 2012 * Nutrition Class - April 17th, 2012 * Social Worker - April 24th, 2012 * Dietician - May 1st, 2012 * Psych - May 1st, 2012 * Surgeon - August 17th, 2012 * PATTS - Sept. 12th, 2012 * SURGERY TEGH, Dr. Cyriac - October 16th, 2012

Starting Weight - 320 lbs   *   Current Weight - 178 lbs  *  Goal Weight - 165 lbs 

mermaidz
on 10/19/12 10:39 pm - Brampton, Canada
 Sadly I don't think you can drink nearly enough for it to impact anything at all.

lol

Growing old is mandatory. Growing up is optional.  

(deactivated member)
on 10/19/12 10:40 pm - Bumfuknowhere, Canada
I used them and no problem and they were recommended by my clinic.
happypants
on 10/19/12 10:51 pm - Ottawa, Canada
 A few drops will not make a difference 

In order to succeed, your desire for success should be greater than your fear of failure.

Surgery July 22, 2011  Starting weight 270  128 lbs lost  Today's weight 142 lbs                 Ann       

Most Active
Recent Topics