Fountain of youth

Patm
on 11/17/12 1:33 am - Ontario, Canada
RNY on 01/20/12

I had some unrealistic expectations for my surgery. I thiought it would magically take away all my medical problems. My arthritis and Fibro would disappear. My atrial fibulation would suddenly go away. I have been down about my health issues lately.

But today on this beautifull sunny day I was out biking. I realise that at 61 my parents were old. My father would die within a couple of years of heart disease and my mother would have a stroke within 10 yrs and did not exercise. Here I was biking! I am off the blood pressure meds I have been on for 20 years. I am off my diabetic meds that I have been on for 8 yrs. I still have some problems walking long distances say more than 5 km but I can walk with less pain.

So maybe the fountain of youth is just the ability to get moving and feeling better.

HeyFrankie
on 11/17/12 1:56 am - Canada

What a heart warming post this is for me. I am your age and have some of the same issues. The truth is that I would like this to make me 25 again, but I know it will not. What it can do, with my active participation, is allow me to feel better than I have in years, both physically and emotionally. That is truly what I long for.

I also have a question for you. How has this affected your afib? Are you medicated for it? Has it changed in ANY way? How do you deal with it? Did it show itself post surgery? If it is not too much, I would love to hear from you on this issue. If not.. that is fine also :-)

It sounds like you are doing so well; biking, walking, off so many meds. Kudos to you ma'am! Keep up the fabulous work!

Patm
on 11/17/12 2:03 am - Ontario, Canada
RNY on 01/20/12

I have had Afib for about 10 yrs. I just had surgery last January. Part of my depression has been around this. I wore a heart monitor for the last two weeks. I am just waiting to hear the results. I orginally was kept on blood pressure meds because of the Afib but my blood pressure keeps dropping especially after exercise. So I now am off it all. So the Afib is not worse after surgery but now that I want to be more active it I think it is interfering. I will know for sure next week

HeyFrankie
on 11/17/12 2:09 am - Canada

I have had it for about the same length of time. Have not had surgery - my cardiologist says mine is too mild - she does not do the 'almost passing out' thing though, that scares the hell out of me. I am on meds and that will likely change post surgery. I will be vigilant about it post-surgery. I hope that you find some solution to this. Keep me updated! ... I am sending light and good energy to you.

Donna

Onward and
Downward

on 11/17/12 2:11 am - Canada
RNY on 11/07/12

What a great post.  Thanks so much for this.  Definitely a reality check - healthy for all of us is different, especially at different ages.

For me, I want increased mobility and the ability to "fit" everywhere (seats, etc.)  Looks are secondary, and I know this doesn't mean I won't ever get sick or even develop some chronic conditions or diseases.  It just means I'll be able to live with them a lot easier in the 100's (if I get there) than in the 300's.

Referral to registry: Oct 21, 2011    Orientation (TWH): Feb 22, 2012     Surgery: Nov 7, 2012

Come to Toronto East End Coffee Nights! Click here for details.

Patm
on 11/17/12 5:50 am - Ontario, Canada
RNY on 01/20/12

I am sure you will get to the 100's. Also losing weight now means you have less chance of developing health problems

mermaidz
on 11/17/12 2:16 am, edited 11/17/12 2:16 am - Brampton, Canada

Growing old is mandatory. Growing up is optional. 

Great post Patm!

Growing old is mandatory. Growing up is optional.  

zephie
on 11/17/12 2:20 am - Moose Factory, Canada

What a refreshing post..thank you so much...my hope is not "skinny" but health in my remaining years...to be able to go walking, hiking and all the other improved issues you speak of...I would like to "get moving and feel better"...again thanks for the encouragement!!!

Orientation - Feb. 19 & 20/13 - NP,Nut, Psych, - Mar. 14/13 - Sleep Study - Mar. 24/13 - OTN with Dr. Sullivan - June 28/13  On my way!!! Preop Sept 25/13  -  SURGERY OCTOBER 22/13!!!!!!!!

It's not how you start this life...it's how well you finish it...& I plan to finish it with gusto!!!!

(deactivated member)
on 11/17/12 4:29 am - Peterborough, Canada
RNY on 10/19/12

I am so with you. I just want to restore my health in my remaining year. I would love to be able to walk freely like I used to and just feel better.

kellybelly333
on 11/17/12 2:45 am - Toronto, Canada

When my doctor told me at 37, that at the rate I was going, I wasn't going to make it to 50....that did it for me. I love being healthy, and able to do run, spin, train...play with my kids, have energy for housework, etc. Not everything is roses. I have girly issues affecting my iron to deal with, new hypoglycemia that can get me down. But, I was humbled once again, as I had my iron infusion yesterday in the chemo clinic. All I was getting was iron....not chemo....and I am grateful for that, and my health.

Enjoy the sunshine!!!

Surgery March 23/2011. Completed three full marathons and two half marathons, two half Ironman distances. Completed my first Full Ironman distance (4 km swim, 180 km bike, 42.2 km (full marathon) run) in Muskoka August 30/2015. Next Ironman Lake Placid July 23/2017!

Most Active
Recent Topics