East Enders

Patm
on 12/17/12 10:01 pm - Ontario, Canada
RNY on 01/20/12

We met for the first time last night. It was great to meet some new people and also see people I knew. Next time name tags! There were 9 of us. Unfortunately the Mad Italian had changed their hours and kicked us out at 9:00 pm. So we will look for another location near the subway. We will probably continue to meet on Mondays. Stay tuned for the January announcement.

Onward and
Downward

on 12/17/12 10:04 pm - Canada
RNY on 11/07/12

This is what I originally posted in the other thread, but decided to move it here since most of it is about planning the next one... :)

Wow, 9 people showed up!  That's way more than we expected, so that was great. :)

Sorry about the cafe closing at 9 - I guess we'll know that for future.  Also, there was hardly anything on the menu that was WLS-friendly, and a number of the items I asked about that were on the menu, they were either out of or don't carry anymore.

A few of us went for a walk on the Danforth and checked a couple of other places to see if they'd mind having a few people in earlier in the week every few weeks or so.  We weren't having much luck, but then Amanda and I went into The Friendly Greek (which is just a few doors down from The Mad Italian) and they said they'd be happy to have us come in and have our coffee nights there.  There are lots of chairs and tables, so we won't have to worry about that.

For everyone who showed up yesterday, Monday nights work great, but that doesn't work for Sandy.  And for one of us (Amanda, I think?), Tuesdays and Wednesdays don't work.  So I'm not sure how we can do this in order to include everyone.  Thursdays and Fridays would be difficult since that's when restaurants like The Friendly Greek tend to be crowded, so it might be harder to sit for a couple of hours and chat over tea when the owners will likely want the table space for people who are ordering meals.

So, what do we do?  Maybe alternate days?  Have a couple a month, one on a Monday and one on a Tuesday?

Referral to registry: Oct 21, 2011    Orientation (TWH): Feb 22, 2012     Surgery: Nov 7, 2012

Come to Toronto East End Coffee Nights! Click here for details.

Aca-Verity
on 12/18/12 2:48 am - Canada
VSG on 06/06/12

YAY!  Michelle.....The Friendly Greek "works" for me....they have GR8 food there which would be good for those wanting to eat something, if they missed dinner (ie. Salad, Chicken Souvlaki, etc).  Very glad you checked it out and that they are receptive to our meeting there.  Rotating meetings on Monday's or Tuesday's would be OK for me....it's a good idea to have some flexibility for ppl.

BTW....LOVE your new hair style.....you look FABULOUS!!!

Verity 

Onward and
Downward

on 12/18/12 4:07 am - Canada
RNY on 11/07/12

Oh, I didn't see this earlier!  Why thank-you. :)  It was great to see you again last night!

We were thinking the same thing about the food - lots of protein at a Greek restaurant, and especially grilled souvlaki!

Referral to registry: Oct 21, 2011    Orientation (TWH): Feb 22, 2012     Surgery: Nov 7, 2012

Aca-Verity
on 12/17/12 10:13 pm - Canada
VSG on 06/06/12

Yes, we were all disappointed to be kicked out so early but, fortunately, the weather was mild enough for us to continue chatting "outside" for a bit....really enjoyed myself tho' and will look forward to another meeting in January.  Was GR8 to see SO many ppl!!

Verity

Janet13
on 12/17/12 10:32 pm - Toronto, Canada

Really enjoyed meeting everyone.  Looking forward to the next chat.  Alternating Monday and Tuesday might work. Just my 2 cents worth.  kiss

"I used to be SnowWhite and then I drifted"
"words come easy behind the screen, when there is no interface-to-face to be seen"

kellybelly333
on 12/17/12 11:49 pm - Toronto, Canada

Sorry to have missed you all! I ended up having the kids last night, so didn't do christmas shopping. Sigh. Glad you had a good time!

Surgery March 23/2011. Completed three full marathons and two half marathons, two half Ironman distances. Completed my first Full Ironman distance (4 km swim, 180 km bike, 42.2 km (full marathon) run) in Muskoka August 30/2015. Next Ironman Lake Placid July 23/2017!

Amanda F.
on 12/18/12 2:00 am - Toronto, Canada
VSG on 01/10/13

It was so great to finally meet some of you! I've been wanting to go to the support groups to meet people, but I'm not really support group type of person and that is why I have not gone yet. Casually meeting over coffee is much more my style, so this worked out beautifully for me! Yes, Monday's work best for me as I must study Tuesday-Thursday. But to include everyone, I think the alternating day is a great idea. That way I can at least make 1 each month.

Referral to Bariatric Program at TWH: 08/09/11     Orientation at TWH: 08/17/11                 Nurse Practitioner: 10/12/11
Social Worker: 12/02/11                                         Nutrition Class: 12/21/11                         Nutrition Assessment: 01/26/12
Psycho-Social Assessment: 05/31/12                      Meet Dr. Penner (TWH) 11/30/12            Pre-Admission: 12/10/12

Surgery Date: January 10, 2013
LilySlim Weight loss tickers

For more information on the Midtown Toronto Walking Club, please click here.

Onward and
Downward

on 12/18/12 3:55 am - Canada
RNY on 11/07/12

Okay, so here is my proposal.  Since TWH meets on the first and third Wednesdays of the month, why don't we meet during the 2nd and 4th weeks of the month (since a number of us go to the TWH meetings).

So perhaps the 2nd week of the month can be a Tuesday, and the 4th week can be a Monday?

So for January, we might want to skip the first half week and meet on Tuesday, January 15th and Monday, January 28th.  Does that sound okay, at The Friendly Greek, at around 7:30 or 8 p.m.?

Patm
on 12/18/12 4:00 am - Ontario, Canada
RNY on 01/20/12

Sounds good to me.

Most Active
Recent Topics