Ground Beef Pureed?

orcoco
on 12/28/12 8:17 am

For all of you who have passed the puree stage already, I have another question!  Thanks goodness for this board! :)

Do you have to puree ground beef?  I read my instructions over and over, and can't figure it out!  It says pureed other meats, but just mentions ground beef, doesn't say to puree it?

Thanks in advance for help! :)

Referral to Humber April 1, 2012     Orientation September 4, 2012     Meet Surgeon October 5, 2012      SW, Dietician, Nurse November 16, 2012     Dr Glazier Nov 22, 2012  Start Optifast Nov 23, 2012   Pre-Op Nov 27, 2012  Surgery December 14 with Dr. Starr

stephanie2011
on 12/28/12 8:31 am - toronto, Canada

I can't speak for the instructions specifically, but I didn't puree my ground beef.  I just made sure it didn't cook in big clumps and then chewed the heck out of it.  You might get other opinions but I think the it is called 'ground' beef for a reason

good luck.

Referral: Aug 3, 2010       Info Session: Dec 12, 2011   
Nurse Appt: Jan 30, 2012    Diet/Nut Appt: Feb 8, 2012
Surgery Class: Jan 24, 2012
Meet Surgeon: Feb 8,2012    Start Optifast: April 24, 2012
Surgery Date: May 8, 2012

Cuter_w_Curves
on 12/28/12 8:44 am - Oshawa, Ontario, Canada
VSG on 01/08/13

I have been pre-planning and was figuring on magic bullet + small amount of gravy (club house is like 30 cal for 1/4 cup) to blend with a table spoon of either butternut squash or sweet potato in one of my 1cup casserole dishes would make it like a shepherds pie in consistency and composition.

That said... Pureed should have the consistency of mashed potato. Minced would be small pieces of ground so I am more likely going to smash the heck out of it at that stage and make it like a mince meat pie consistency. I am going with consistency because HRRH (and St. Joe's Toronto under HRRH) breaks those two stages up now. Week 3 vs 4...

Dr Sullivan VSG Jan. 8th, 2013!
  Lost 100 lbs in a year post op with a VSG. 

(deactivated member)
on 12/28/12 9:22 am - Straford, Canada

Like Shelley says you need some liquid to puree it, I just added a bit of beef broth to the cooked beef, so made a thick kinda beef soup.  Also beef chili purees really well.  Or just chew it really well like the first poster could work.  Myself I found having liquid type stuff worked better, I found many foods too dry without being able to drink with them so always headed towards purees that were high in liquid content.  Just my experience, hope it helps!  

homegrl21
on 12/28/12 9:44 am - Toronto, Canada
RNY on 12/10/12
I'm on the purée stage now. We had chili tonight and the first bit I puréed with a magic bullet. That was great. I got adventurous so I took two tablespoons of none puréed and chewed it up well. That went down perfect too. I'm sure if you focused and chewed you'd be fine. Especially in a chili or sauce because its moist.

orcoco
on 12/28/12 2:18 pm

Thanks everyone!  I started the puréed stage today, and ended up just chewing it very well.  Went done no problem.  I was amazed at how full I became after just a little!  Definitely happy to be on this stage now!

Referral to Humber April 1, 2012     Orientation September 4, 2012     Meet Surgeon October 5, 2012      SW, Dietician, Nurse November 16, 2012     Dr Glazier Nov 22, 2012  Start Optifast Nov 23, 2012   Pre-Op Nov 27, 2012  Surgery December 14 with Dr. Starr

PatXYZ
on 12/29/12 9:46 pm

I didn't do the puree stage after my WLS, as Hamilton progresses you right to soft foods from full liquids, but after my jaw surgery a couple of months after my DS I had a lengthy stage of purees as I couldn't chew for several weeks. One thing that saved me during this time, was pureed Shepherd's Pie. Sooooo good! I cooked either ground beef or ground turkey (or a mix of both) with onions, a touch of garlic, and olive oil, and then added the Shepherd's Pie spice mix (I noticed my tastes were more sensitive and I only needed half the package). I then combined it with a dollop of mashed potatoes, some grated cheddar cheese and a bit of mixed veg (I like mine with the traditional carrots, peas, corn, but during the weight loss phase I was going for more low carb options like peppers) and blended it in the food processor. If you need to thin it a bit, I used a touch of tomato soup made with milk. I don't know why, but this was a stand-out meal for me that I ate for days while I was recovering. Enjoy!

I had OHIP approved Duodenal Switch surgery with Dr. Dennis Hong at St. Joseph's Hamilton on March 7th, 2012. Want more information on the DS in Ontario? Send me a private message!
ShallowGirl
on 12/30/12 5:09 pm - Richmond Hill, Canada
RNY on 06/22/12

Sheppard's Pie is awesome!

The future belongs to those who believe in the beauty of their dreams. Eleanor Roosevelt    

Most Active
Recent Topics