Looking for a crunchy snack for evenings with few carbs & Happy New Year

Laurie C.
on 12/31/12 4:45 am - Collingwood, ON, Canada

Dry oatmeal crisp is too expensive for my calorie wallet, pistachios have too many calories and fat, any ideas?? 

Surgery:  June 11, 2012--Dr. Starr--Humber

dna
on 12/31/12 4:55 am - Canada

I make Eggface's protein granola and eat that at night with a source yogurt or greek yogurt sometimes.

Cucumber slices with a laughing cow smeared on top.

5 triscuit thins with cheese and a turkey pepperoni slice melted on top

Not sure if these are good for you but it's what I find helps me :)

Happy New year !

Referral:  August 2011  Information session:  November 2011
Nut/Psych/SW: Spring 2012  Surgeon Meet:  July 6, 2012  Surgery: August 30, 2012

Amanda F.
on 12/31/12 6:13 am - Toronto, Canada
VSG on 01/10/13

I was also going to mention Eggface's roasted garbonzo beans or soy beans. I love Eggface, she has so much great stuff!

Referral to Bariatric Program at TWH: 08/09/11     Orientation at TWH: 08/17/11                 Nurse Practitioner: 10/12/11
Social Worker: 12/02/11                                         Nutrition Class: 12/21/11                         Nutrition Assessment: 01/26/12
Psycho-Social Assessment: 05/31/12                      Meet Dr. Penner (TWH) 11/30/12            Pre-Admission: 12/10/12

Surgery Date: January 10, 2013
LilySlim Weight loss tickers

For more information on the Midtown Toronto Walking Club, please click here.

smiley_k
on 12/31/12 5:02 am

What about cheese and crackers like another poster said?

Have you tried roasted soy beans? They have a nice crunch and you can get them in different flavours...

I like apple slices with reconstituted PB2...

Pomegranate seeds...

Katie  ♥     

Onward and
Downward

on 12/31/12 5:13 am, edited 12/31/12 5:15 am - Canada
RNY on 11/07/12

I've lately been eating something called "Paris Toasts".  They are little melba toasts, shaped like tiny pieces of toast.  They're delicious as a base for WLS-friendly dips and spreads.  Very crunchy!

10 mini toasts have 80 calories, 15 carbs, 2 grams of fat, and 3 grams of protein.

My latest fun with them is spreading 95% fat free cream cheese on them and topping with a slice of cucumber, with salt and pepper to taste.  Very yummy!  Or homemade chicken pate.

I just realized you asked for "few carbs".  I guess it depends on what you mean by "few" but I find these fit into my WLS eating nicely, even if there are a few carbs in them.  And I don't always eat 10 in a sitting, although I do sometimes if I'm making them a base for a meal as opposed to a snack.  Two or three, loaded down with toppings, could be a nice way to get that crunch you're craving, but only get a few carbs.

Referral to registry: Oct 21, 2011    Orientation (TWH): Feb 22, 2012     Surgery: Nov 7, 2012

Come to Toronto East End Coffee Nights! Click here for details.

lookinginto
on 12/31/12 5:35 am

I haven't made them, but the kale chips I see recipes for look interesting. 

Laurie C.
on 12/31/12 5:45 am - Collingwood, ON, Canada

Thanks ladies

I'm going to check into the protein granola and the Paris toasts to start, laughing cow and Paris toasts sound good.  I've tried the soya nuts but they just weren't my favourite.

Just trying to find my special "tatie chip" I guess.

Laurie

dna
on 12/31/12 6:14 am - Canada

Here is the recipe for the Granola.  Sorry I was in a hurry earlier :)

Shelly's CLICK'n Granola

1/3 cup Oatmeal, dry
1/3 cup Sliced Almonds
1/4 cup Pecans, chopped
1 scoop protein powder ( I use vanilla )
1/2 teaspoon Cinnamon
3 Tablespoons Sugar Free Torani Syrup (your favorite flavor, I used Sugar Free Vanilla)
2 Tablespoons Almond Butter ( I find that regular kraft light peanut butter makes it lighter)
1 Tablespoon Butter

Mix together with a fork till clumps form. Sprinkle clumps of the topping onto a baking sheet (I lined it with foil for ease of clean-up) and bake for 20 minutes at 350. Allow to cool. When cool store in sealed container for several days.

I have been making this for a while now.  It's fantastic.  perfect for when I get the munchies.  I divide them into snack baggies and put in the fridge to store. 

Laurie C.
on 12/31/12 7:12 am - Collingwood, ON, Canada

do you happen to have any values for these, I looked on Myfitnesspal but they aren't listed at all

Thanks

Laurie

(deactivated member)
on 12/31/12 7:50 am - Guelph, Canada

Tuna on Melba rounds  or peanut butter on Melba 

Most Active
Recent Topics