Really nervous that my surgery wont' happen in 2 days

Tereza
on 1/6/13 6:38 am

I have my surgery scheduled for Tuesday Jan. 8th and I am really nervous about it. I reacted badly to the Optifast and the nutritionist gave me a diet to follow which I have followed to the letter. However when I look at all the other posts I see that people pre-op are losing quiet a bit of weight pre-op and all that I have lost is 5lbs. I am beyond worried and really panicking that I'm going to get in for the surgery and wake up told that they couldn't do it.

I'm really causing myself to feel sick about it. Anybody been in a similar situation? Should I be worried? Any input would be greatly appreciated.

Teresa

Diminishing Dawn
on 1/6/13 6:55 am - Windsor, Canada

As long as you are sticking to the plan you should be good. I know a lady who lost 2 lbs before surgery (she didn't have to even do Optifast as she was in the states).

The goal is not weight loss for Optifast. Optifast is  40/30/30 diet that helps to shrink the liver (protein/carbs/fat).  As long as you're on plan, you should be good.  People's weight loss can range by different factors such as metabolism, muscle mass and starting weight - so you'll see numbers both high and low.

No worries!

Dawn

17+ years post op RNY. first year blog here or My LongTimer blog. Tummy Tuck Dr. Matic 2014 -Ohip funded panni Windsor WLS support group.message me anytime!
HW:290 LW:139 RW: 167 CW: 139

nancy4elton
on 1/6/13 7:07 am
Hi Teresa, if it's any consolation, i lost only 8 lbs after two wks of religiously sticking to the optifast diet. Dawn is absolutely right about the liver shrinkage issue. Try not to worry and explain that you've done your part by sticking to your diet plan. Hope you are able to have your surgery!
Moselle
on 1/6/13 7:16 am - Athens, Canada

They didn't even weigh me before my surgery so I wouldn't worry about it.  I wish you all the best for an uneventful surgery and a speedy recovery. See you on the bench.

"Success is the sum of small efforts, repeated day in and day out." -Robert Collier
Join Kingston Ontario WLS Support Group - Online @ OH 

HW: 267         SW: 248       GW:155       LW: 132      CW: 143-148      

NorthernStar
on 1/6/13 7:18 am - London, Canada
RNY on 06/25/12

Don't worry! You have followed your plan and will be fine. Other people have not lost that much on Opti either, and were fine for surgery. Everyone loses at different rates; as Dawn said the goal isn't weight loss anyways.

At my surgery, they asked if I had followed the Opti but they didn't even weigh me.

*Lindsey*

Keeping off 133 lbs since 2012!

Referral to Bariatric Registry: May 2011   /   Surgery (HRRH): June 25, 2012         

Tereza
on 1/6/13 7:28 am

Thank you all for your input. I feel so much better lol. I'm sure I will continue to be worried right up until it's all done lol. I can't believe it's only 2 days away.Gahhhh

starry957
on 1/6/13 9:00 am

Right there with ya Tereza!  I worried all weekend that I would end up catching some crazy flu/virus that everyone around me seems to have....knock on wood - seems like it's ok so far!

I love seeing other worriers - makes me feel right at home!...lol

January 8th, 2013 - VSG with Dr Paul Sullivan (St Joe's Toronto)

lilviolet
on 1/6/13 9:32 am - Canada

Hey Teresa it's Sarah!

I don't know if I told you, but I only ended up losing 4 pounds on the Opti, but everything went ok.  I even called my centre in a panic and they said I would be ok.

Niki L.
on 1/6/13 7:44 am - Canada
RNY on 10/15/12
I was on opti fast and did not do well on it so they gave me a diet to follow in did not lose much and still had my surgery all the best on the 7th. Niki

2mar
on 1/6/13 7:56 am
RNY on 09/20/12
Most Active
Recent Topics