Help! Last minute questions before heading to Humber tomorrow

TM-Doingitforme
on 1/22/13 9:34 am - Canada
So the last Opti is done and I'm getting my stuff together to go to the hospital and I just realized, do they have a shower? Am I even allowed to shower while I'm there? If so, do they provide a towel? I packed up all my pills and vitamins do I keep them there or can I send them home with my husband once the nurse sees them? Will I be able to charge my cell phone there? I feel like I am forgetting a million things! Thanks for any help!

Referral: May 13, 2012 | Orientation: July 16, 2012 HRRH  | RN, RD & SW: August 24, 2012  |  Surgeon - Dr. Huynh: July 21, 2012  & November 22, 2012 |  Internist - Dr. Glazer: September 21, 2012 &  November 19, 2012 | RNY Surgery: January 23, 2013 (HRRH)

CritterK
on 1/22/13 9:40 am

I had my surgery had HRRH Finch in December.

I was lucky to have the nurse help me shower and they provided the towel.  After I got in my room, my daughter took my bag of meds home.  I charged my cell phone with the outlet in my room.

Good luck with your surgery tomorrow!!!

Cuter_w_Curves
on 1/22/13 9:41 am - Oshawa, Ontario, Canada
VSG on 01/08/13

oh lord you are lucky to have had a shower. I've been in Finch and not gotten one. *chuckle*

Dr Sullivan VSG Jan. 8th, 2013!
  Lost 100 lbs in a year post op with a VSG. 

Cuter_w_Curves
on 1/22/13 9:40 am - Oshawa, Ontario, Canada
VSG on 01/08/13

It's typically being handed a wash basin, a wash cloth, and a towel.. Think tiny... white... cotton... Not the nicest texture but functional.

I took my own soap though they provide some. Shower in the morning before you leave for the hospital. You will be glad to have done it.

I have no idea re vitamins... no one asked to see mine at St. Joe's Toronto. Meds yes... vitamins no.

Yes you can typically charge it there... plug ins on the wall behind the head of your bed.

1 nightie if you have it. cotton... So you can wear something of your own... 1 pair of jammie pants and a top if you have them... 3-4 pairs of spare undies. You'll be in a gown the first day and night... And they will offer you them outside of that but if you are like me you will appreciate your own clothing for day 2.

Wear something lose and comfy to get there and if you are wearing boots take crocs or slippers or something for walking the halls... Something slip on is best because you don't need to have to tie them. Outside of clean undies... what you wear there you can wear home.

Something to read if you are a reader, etc.

And.. Your self. broken heart

Dr Sullivan VSG Jan. 8th, 2013!
  Lost 100 lbs in a year post op with a VSG. 

TM-Doingitforme
on 1/22/13 9:56 am - Canada
Thanks for the tips, the last time I was in the hospital for more than a night it was the maternity ward, and things were a little different then, LOL!

Referral: May 13, 2012 | Orientation: July 16, 2012 HRRH  | RN, RD & SW: August 24, 2012  |  Surgeon - Dr. Huynh: July 21, 2012  & November 22, 2012 |  Internist - Dr. Glazer: September 21, 2012 &  November 19, 2012 | RNY Surgery: January 23, 2013 (HRRH)

katzmeow13
on 1/22/13 10:01 am

Lip stuff and moisturizer, toothbrush/paste, hairbrush

HW:282      pre-opti W: 268       CW: 172.       SW:255.5

Surgery: RNY   Jan. 17, 2013   Dr Raiche   OTTAWA

Pez
on 1/22/13 10:04 am - Oshawa, Canada

Oh great suggestions, I definitely would have been lost without my chapstick, hospitals are so dry.

Pez
on 1/22/13 10:03 am - Oshawa, Canada

I had my surgery at Humber, on a Monday.  I wasn't expecting to shower so I brought nothing, but on Tuesday they asked if I wanted a shower, so I said sure.  They supplied me soap and a towel and if I had wanted to wash my hair they had shampoo as well.  I didn't bring any vitamins just my inhalers which I kept there to take.  I too plugged my phone into the wall right beside my bed.  I stayed in the hospital gown but did put on my own pajama pants on the second day.

only_angel
on 1/22/13 12:04 pm - Sault Ste Marie, Canada
RNY on 01/11/13

When i was there 11 days ago they let me take a shower on the second day. They supplied the towels and the soap. I was able to charge my phone right by my bed but i had to get someone else to plug it in for me the first day as i was to doped up... If you get Marlene or Gylanne for nurses they are awesome :) 

Shaybear
on 1/22/13 3:09 pm - Canada

you're probably sound asleep by now, but if you do check this in time, I brought my own pillow, I found theirs super soft, which wasn't the best for my neck, also, it helped to have an extra pillow when trying to get comfy in that bed. also, the chapstick was a must.

I didn't shower there, instead I brought wipes to freshen up, but if you plan on showering there you should bring some flip flops to avoid going barefoot in the shower.

I also brought my vitamins and the protein powder I had bought, the nutritionist will come and visit you it's very helpful if you have your supplements to show her and she can ensure you're getting the right doses.

Good luck!

Referral: 10/23/2012 Info Session: 11/08/2012 Social Worker&Nutritionist: 11/21/2012 Surgeon: 11/21/2012 Nurse: 12/07/2012 Internist: 11/28/2012 Pre Op: 12/28/2012 Surgery: January 7 2013              

Most Active
Recent Topics