Protein shake dilema!!!

Chanelle1022
on 1/27/13 12:08 am
I have begun to make my own shakes for breakfast.. First it was protein powder ( vanilla whey from costco) and 1cup skim milk with 1/4 cup frozen strawberries.. This made me feel sick to my stomach and sweaty and dizzy (so im assuming small dumping episode?) i switched out berries for PB - same thing- then realized skim milk had 11g sugar (holy hell!!) and switched to unsweetened almond milk -1 cup and 1tbspn of PB- still feel thing way after 4-5 sips.. WTH? Could it be the actual protein powder making me feel this way?! I need this boost of protein to get to at least 60-65g a day.. But its making me feel ill-- what am i going to do? :/- premiere shakes made me feel icky after a while (must of got tired of em) so i have no idea what to do now! Not to mention if it is the protein powder- i paid 40$ for a huge tub of it and am now stuck with it! Problems man.. I got prolems lol

referral: October 18,2011 orientation: January 6,2012 np: July 11,2012
abdominal u/s: August 8,2012 psych: August 16,2012 nut/behav: August 27,2012
endoscopy: September 28,2012 follow up with dietician:October 1st,2012 surgery class:9 am, October 31,2012 meet the surgeon:November 13th,2012 Optifast start: Dec 3rd, 2012SURGERY by Dr. Yelle : December 24! 

Diminishing Dawn
on 1/27/13 12:24 am, edited 1/27/13 1:13 am - Windsor, Canada

What form of whey is it? If you are starting with an intolerance to something I'd rule out the form of whey, the strawberries too.  If you are not on it, I'd try isolate. (it's filtered)

Maybe even switch it up to a form of protein that you can add water to

Dawn

17+ years post op RNY. first year blog here or My LongTimer blog. Tummy Tuck Dr. Matic 2014 -Ohip funded panni Windsor WLS support group.message me anytime!
HW:290 LW:139 RW: 167 CW: 139

(deactivated member)
on 1/27/13 1:11 am - Straford, Canada

Like Dawn said, I would recommend trying another form of protein powder, soy, egg and or rice protein based powders (personally I find rice powder gross but thats just me) .  Until you know try small quantities or buy from someone like gnc as they take back stuff if you can't drink it.  Try raspberries or blackberries or apple, they are lower in sugar.  Good luck!  

katzmeow13
on 1/27/13 1:33 am
I stopped the protein shakes cause they made me feel yuk. I am eating greek yogurt, drinking milk and small portions of meat and cheese through the day, yesterday i managed 71 g... Boy it's a full time job though. I am going to try soy protein tomorrow... See if that makes a change

HW:282      pre-opti W: 268       CW: 172.       SW:255.5

Surgery: RNY   Jan. 17, 2013   Dr Raiche   OTTAWA

(deactivated member)
on 1/27/13 2:26 am - Peterborough, Canada
RNY on 10/19/12

Perhaps try a smaller portion of the protein powder instead of the full scoop.

lisarah
on 1/27/13 2:58 am - Canada
RNY on 01/26/12
I had the same problem. I spoke with the dieticians at TWH to help me find other options. I could not take any protein shakes like you it caused dumping for me. Now with their help I make sure I eat my protein at lunch and dinner and at breakfast I just have egg salad or a musli breakfast round. Sorry I'm not sure what stage your at. Hope this helps. I also find peanut butter alone works as an evening snack

Referral to Bariatric Registry March 2011 Orientation at TWH Aug, 2011
RNY scheduled for Jan 26, 2012 at Toronto Western

Riley Sanders
on 1/27/13 6:12 am - Canada

Hey Chanelle I had the very same experiences with you.  I ordered in some of the Synthrax Nectar which is mainly lactose free.  I ama waiting for it to come in but now that I am not taking shakes or milk I am feeling much better.

tasha_the_dog
on 1/27/13 6:24 am - Thunder Bay, , Canada

When you rule out the protein powder and find one you can take, try adding it to yogurt for that extra boost.  add it an hour early so it has time to dissolve.  Have you tried Weider Whey Protein.  It is a 100% protein isolate and you mix it with water and taste like a mild mango crystal light.(not as sweet tho)  one serving has 21g of protein and 1 g of sugar.  I buy the Weider at Shoppers and have seen it at Wal mart and other places.

Referral to Thunder Bay Bariatric Centre July 2010 Orientation Class August 2010
Appointments with dietician, nurse practitioner and psychologist September/November 2010   Ultrasound November 2010
Scope June 10, 2011, meeting with surgeon Nov 29, 2011    surgery  VSG Jan 20/12
Surgeon: Dr. Gmora
HW 287

CW 169

PatXYZ
on 1/27/13 12:08 pm

Is there sugar in your protein powder? I'd definitely stay away from fruit at this point. Why not just make the shake with water? I like Whey Gourmet and make mine with water.

I had OHIP approved Duodenal Switch surgery with Dr. Dennis Hong at St. Joseph's Hamilton on March 7th, 2012. Want more information on the DS in Ontario? Send me a private message!
Most Active
Recent Topics