Revision surgery

kristaeb
on 1/26/13 11:34 am

Hello, i had a VBG done in the 90s that did not work. I am hoping to have it revised and have a RNY. Wondering if anyone else is looking into second WLS as well. Thanks Krista..

JJ_
on 1/26/13 11:56 am

Hi, 

I had RNY in December 2011, so I am not up for any revision surgery at this time. 

As with all bariatric surgeries in Ontario, your PCP needs to refer you to the Ontario Bariatric Registry for referral to the nearest bariatric program.  There you will be assessed and determine if you have a mechanical failure with your original surgery.

Good luck in your search for a resolution.

Judy

Sylvie G.
on 1/26/13 9:48 pm - Monroeville, IN
RNY on 04/16/13

I am in the process of trying to get a revision.  I too had a VBG in 2001 that has failed.  Apparently they have a very high failure rate and hence are no longer done.  I have been for the orientation and am meeting with the surgeon on Feb 6th.  There are other people on here that are in the process or have actually had a revision.  Hopefully they can give you some input as well.

Tereza
on 1/26/13 11:53 pm

Hello,

I had a revision done on Jan. 8th. I had a failed VBG that I also had in 2000. Caused some major damage to my stomach. The revision went well with no complications. It is a more extensive surgery and it usually takes double the time of a RNY but I am beyond happy that I have done it. It does take a bit longer to recover as it is more extensive but sooo worth it. I hope this is helpful. All the best.

Teresaangry

kristaeb
on 1/28/13 11:43 am

Hello Teresa, thank-you for your reply. I am glad to hear it went well for you. Was yours an open surgery? I assume mine will be do to mesh from hernia and old scar tissue. I live 3 hours north of Toronto, i was thinking Guelph ,but i guess it will depend who does the more difficult surgerys. I will be calling my Doctors office at the of week to see if they had a reply to my ref yet. Please keep me posted on your progress. Do you mind me asking who your surgeon was? Thanks Krista.. Take care..

Tereza
on 1/28/13 12:41 pm

Hi Krista,

I too had hernia surgery involving mesh. That surgery was open surgery for the hernia as it was soo bad and the severity of the damage that was my previous surgery. I thought for sure that the RNY was going to be open as well because of all that needed to be done. However I was pleasantly surprised to wake up and see that Dr. Klein was able to do it with the little incisions. Now I did have one more incision then every body else but who cares. I didn't have a huge incision down the front of me again. You will do great and again I say it is more then worth it. :)

All the best

Teresa

kristaeb
on 1/29/13 8:54 am

Hi Teresa, you sound so much like me. I am blown away that they did it without opening you up. I too was open for my hernia repair , 32 staples down the front and a 5 hour surgery. I found out today i am going to HRRH.. So i am very pleased. i have spoke with a couple people now that had revisions and all were done at HRRH. Dr, Hagan and Klein. I am so happy i talked to you because i was affriad i might not be able to have it done. You give me great hope. THANK-YOU Krista.. I will talk to you soon.

Tereza
on 1/29/13 9:53 pm

Krista,

You're going to do amazing. Dr. Hagan and Klein are the very best. I researched them before I had my surgery lol.

We really do sound alike. I had 23 staples down my front from the hernia surgery. I also had some complication after. Just goes to show we will win at whatever is thrown our way.

Keep me posted on all that you are doing :)

kristaeb
on 1/29/13 11:42 pm

Thank-you Teresa, i will keep you updated for sure... Talk to you soon..

Most Active
Recent Topics