Surgery dates

reenie33
on 2/4/13 5:39 am

Ive been looking through the forums and it seems as though some people have to wait 1.5-2 years from the time of referral to surgery while some breeze through in 6-8 months. I understand everyone is different, but I thought that it was a process that had steps for each person to go through to get to surgery. So why would times be so vastly different? I just want to see some light at the end of the tunnel, I know Im impatient. But Im sick of being sick and Im afraid Ill die before surgery

Dani34
on 2/4/13 5:51 am - Canada
VSG on 10/21/13
I don't get it either.I noticed from time to referral, orientation. My GP sent my referral in July and received nothing until December. I've noticed this with surgery dates. I'm done all my apts with social worker, NUT but my surgery could be in 5 months from now? others it's 2-3 months after.

My friend for exemple: Her referral was sent at the same time as me. She has a different surgeon and could have surgery in 2-3 months while I still wait. Her stuff is a little delayed to get a date because the nut wants to see her again in 4 weeks. She will be seeing doctor Glazier this week. She could still have the surgery before me. Things seems to move faster at Humber, they have more doctors.

~Danielle

GP Referral: Summer 2012 Orientation: December 17 th, 2012  Dietitian/Social worker and Nurse Clinician January 31, 2013  Post OP: September 19th 2013 Surgery: October 21st, Dr.Smith  (VGS) 

Amanda F.
on 2/4/13 5:53 am - Toronto, Canada
VSG on 01/10/13
For me, it was mainly because there is only one small window of opportunity during the year where I would have the ability to be at home and have my daughter there to nurse me. Otherwise I would have breezed through as well.

Referral to Bariatric Program at TWH: 08/09/11     Orientation at TWH: 08/17/11                 Nurse Practitioner: 10/12/11
Social Worker: 12/02/11                                         Nutrition Class: 12/21/11                         Nutrition Assessment: 01/26/12
Psycho-Social Assessment: 05/31/12                      Meet Dr. Penner (TWH) 11/30/12            Pre-Admission: 12/10/12

Surgery Date: January 10, 2013
LilySlim Weight loss tickers

For more information on the Midtown Toronto Walking Club, please click here.

Dani34
on 2/4/13 5:58 am - Canada
VSG on 10/21/13
I have nothing stopping me but I sure ain't breezing through. I would go tomorrow if they called me.

~Danielle

GP Referral: Summer 2012 Orientation: December 17 th, 2012  Dietitian/Social worker and Nurse Clinician January 31, 2013  Post OP: September 19th 2013 Surgery: October 21st, Dr.Smith  (VGS) 

Amanda F.
on 2/4/13 6:06 am - Toronto, Canada
VSG on 01/10/13
You also have to keep in mind that they are flooded by new patients to the program and simply don't have the staff to handle the load. As more patients join, the slower the process becomes. Patience grasshopper, you'll get there

Referral to Bariatric Program at TWH: 08/09/11     Orientation at TWH: 08/17/11                 Nurse Practitioner: 10/12/11
Social Worker: 12/02/11                                         Nutrition Class: 12/21/11                         Nutrition Assessment: 01/26/12
Psycho-Social Assessment: 05/31/12                      Meet Dr. Penner (TWH) 11/30/12            Pre-Admission: 12/10/12

Surgery Date: January 10, 2013
LilySlim Weight loss tickers

For more information on the Midtown Toronto Walking Club, please click here.

Nanato2
on 2/4/13 6:08 am, edited 2/4/13 6:14 am - Canada
VSG on 02/12/13

Not all centre/hospitals are the same as some have more doctors working then others do.

There is a lot of things that go into wait times.

Referral to orientation, dates for appointment and how far out they are some people also call the centre after they get their first set of appointment dates and ask if there are any cancelations to get the dates moved up. Also depends on what types of tests the centre may order for you, how many times the dietican, may want to see or the social/psychologist,  how far out your surgeon appt is and dates he is available for surgery because he may be booked for other surgeries as most of the surgeons do other surgeries besides WLS.  

Yes each person has steps to go through but some of those steps may have other steps for some people to go through to be cleared for surgery. Some people may have other medical issue's that require more tests and/or appointments. 

The majority that I have seen is usually around 8 months - one year from the start to finish as long as there no extra tests or appointments needed to go through.

Dani for me I had nothing stopping me and from the time I was referred to the registry to the time I am having surgery is almost a year.

Hope this helps you understand the process and you just have to have some patience your time will come just like it has for all of us. 

Referral- March 2012, Letter April 19, Orientation TWH- June 6, NP - July 3, Sleep Apena test July 16, Internist and SW  - July 17, Nutritional class - July 23, Dietician appt. July 30th, Psych-Social appt - Aug 20th. Follow up with doctor sleep apena Aug. 28th  Surgeons appt. - Dec. 14th Dr. Jackson. Surgery date - Feb 12 2013 - VSG   

reenie33
on 2/4/13 6:14 am

Thank you everyone, I know I need to be patient. and my time will come

Dani34
on 2/4/13 6:24 am - Canada
VSG on 10/21/13
My issues is how different things happen from person to person. That's all. I'm having a pity party today.Frustrated.

~Danielle

Nanato2
on 2/4/13 6:39 am, edited 2/4/13 6:43 am - Canada
VSG on 02/12/13

Dani yes I know and what I was trying to explain is that some people have different medical issue's then other's that may slow down the process. 

It has not been that long for you it will come you need to relax but stay on top of things call the centre if you have not heard after a few weeks and your time will come. Remember there are others who may have started the process before you and may be  waiting also sometimes surgeons are given only so many surgery dates to work with so they try to fit everyone into those dates. 

Referral- March 2012, Letter April 19, Orientation TWH- June 6, NP - July 3, Sleep Apena test July 16, Internist and SW  - July 17, Nutritional class - July 23, Dietician appt. July 30th, Psych-Social appt - Aug 20th. Follow up with doctor sleep apena Aug. 28th  Surgeons appt. - Dec. 14th Dr. Jackson. Surgery date - Feb 12 2013 - VSG   

Most Active
Recent Topics