Is it common to have a "sensitive" stomach?

2by4
on 2/19/13 2:28 pm

I am 3 weeks post surgery and I am not doing so well and not feeling great.  I have an appointment next week with the Surgeon and my one-month follow-up with the Bariatric Centre at HRRH.  Just thought I'd toss this out there (pun intended) to see if anyone else has experienced this and what suggestions you may have.

Ever since I woke up from surgery I have been acutely aware and hypersensitive to smells, sights and thoughts of things!  To the point where it makes me nauseous.  It's driving me insane!  I never had a "weak" stomach before.  Is this just psychological, or is there something more medical going on?

Here are some examples:

On day 1 the nurse brought me the Prevacid and my Antidepressant meds.  She opened the capsules and dumped the little granules into a container and told me to swallow them.  It was the WORST fackin thing I have ever tasted!  The little granules stuck to my teeth.  Instantly, I gagged and my stomach convulsed but there was nothing in me to vomit... so, I dry-heaved all day.  I had the same experience with the Prevacid tablet.  Even days later when I tried to mix them with apple sauce or pudding... I could still taste them.

When I came home my kitty had left me a present on my bed in the form of a hairball.  In the past this has never bothered me.  OMG... I had a horrific time dealing with that.

Over the years of having too many needles and too many blood withdrawals, I have developed "white coat syndrome" but it has been getting better.  That is.... until I had to give myself the heparin needles.  I think a fainted a time or two.  I'm not normally a woosie like that at all.

When I see or think of something ever so slightly gross, I instantly get very nauseous.  Sometimes I can feel my stomach convulse and twitch... but I haven't ever woofed my cookies, yet.

For the most part, I am laying low and not very happy.  I feel really yucky.  Everything tastes terrible.

For the reasons stated above, I have not been able to take the Prevacid or my Antidepressants.  Heck - I have not been able to take the liquid vitamins or the Benefibre either.  I have tried hiding this stuff in with pudding, but just knowing it's there gives me the shudders.

I was sorta expecting that once I was finished with the needles and some of the other immediate discomforts had subsided (tape allergy reaction, itchy incisions, bruises, sore tummy, gas & bloating) that I would be able to relax and focus on my inputs.... but I don't seem to be getting any better.

Pre-surgery I had GERD (Gastroesophageal reflux disease) but was never bothered by it.  Now - I seem to have it full-blown, complete with hiccups and heart burn.  I have also become very lactose intolerant - and diary products used to be a mainstay of my diet.  Now, I can't tolerate the tinniest bit.  Big sighs.

Has anyone else ever been through these woosies?  

VBG: Dr. Abawi (Bowmanville) Jun-2004.   Weight Loss:  237 ⬇ 164 = 73 pounds loss in first year.
Bariatric Network Registry:  19-Aug-2011                               Orientation at HRRH:  17-Aug-2012
Consult with Dr. Hagen (HRRH): 29-Aug-2012              Doctor ordered Gastroscopy:  10-Oct-2012
Meetings with  Nurse,  Vampire,  Registered Dietician  and  Social Worker  (HRRH):  24-Oct-2012
Consult with Internist Dr Glazer:  29-Oct-2012          Ordered Cardiac Ultrasound 12-Nov-2012
Met with Dr. Hagen: 12-Nov-2012    Surgery date 19-Feb-2013     (07- Jan-2013 date revised)
Pre-Admission Tests:  10-Jan-2013     Started OptiFast: 14-Jan-2013     Starting Weight:  233
Conversion Surgery VBG ➜ RnY with Dr. Hagen:  28-Jan-2013          Weight day of Surgery:  216

slrm2m2
on 2/19/13 4:54 pm, edited 2/20/13 12:53 am - Canada
The heightened smell, taste and emotional reactions are all completely normal. The surgery creates some profound hormonal changes that take a while to subside. Mine decreased and got better by the 3 month mark.

The lactose intolerance is very common, too. Things may get better over time... Maybe you will be able to tolerate cheese and yogurt but not able to drink milk. You can try the lactose free milk or a fortufied soy or almond milk... Although almond milk is low in protein.

Give everything time...3 weeks out is still very fresh. Your body is healing and adjusting. Things almost always get better over time and you will adapt and find a new normal in time. Do your best with your vitamins....maybe try some different brands to find one that is less offensive in taste and smell. Good luck and keep us posted with your progress.
Sandy  Surgery Jan.18,2012 with Dr. Timothy Jackson at TWH.

(deactivated member)
on 2/19/13 7:26 pm - Straford, Canada

Sandy is a wise woman!  I have always had a keen sense of smell, I could hunt a deep fryer down in the wilderness before my RNY.  Now who would want to?  I had a stomach of steel, have eaten my way onto walls of greasy spoons and wing places all over Canada and the US!  Now, can not even watch someone eat greasy food.  Had to leave a favorite greasy spoon a few weeks ago, the smell was making me gag.  I can not eat very spicy foods, used to love habanero peppers, now can't even look at one without getting heartburn! 

The day after my RNY they gave me a thing of liquid tylenol. devil  Dry heaves to the point where they put red and yellow notes all over my chart to NOT give me it again.  The sweetness was disgusting (pre RNY no such thing as too sweet).  

Time to toss kitty and her hairballs.  Get a dog!    It will come with you on all the runs you'll be doing and no hairballs! kiss

White coat syndrome?  My Dad was a surgeon.  I have docs all up and down the family tree (yes I am the dumb one that did sales).  Five years ago in Toronto I ran into a new GP who was an idiot!  After a short work up sent me to an internist due to my BP.  The internist took my pressure and asked why I was taking up his time.  Went back to her and voila, high BP.  After a hinky blood test got sent to an endocrinologist who could not repeat the test, went back one last time and sure enough she repeated the bad result, endo doc could not AGAIN but started me on my RNY quest.  Yup, it exists and I had WCS!  

Here's hoping you heal well 2by4.  Soy milk has become my friend and I miss some of the foods I used to eat, BUT would not give up my new much more active life style and size post RNY!  

highlandbear
on 2/19/13 8:17 pm - Canada

It does get better but some things will never change. I can handle the fur balls now but I can not handle some things on the food station. I use to have a great stomach and could handle anything that was thrown my way. Which is good for the job that I do but now I find that I do have trouble handling certain situations and my gag reflexes do set in.  

Nanato2
on 2/19/13 9:32 pm, edited 2/19/13 9:33 pm - Canada
VSG on 02/12/13

I am 1 week out and I understand I have always had great smell well now it is very heightened and I just try to ignore it or its going to drive me crazy.

I also had Gerds previously and it is worse now but getting better because the doctor prescribed me Nexium instead of prevacid. 

Sometimes you just have to do what you have to do to get the stuff in and here's hoping it gets better.

Referral- March 2012, Letter April 19, Orientation TWH- June 6, NP - July 3, Sleep Apena test July 16, Internist and SW  - July 17, Nutritional class - July 23, Dietician appt. July 30th, Psych-Social appt - Aug 20th. Follow up with doctor sleep apena Aug. 28th  Surgeons appt. - Dec. 14th Dr. Jackson. Surgery date - Feb 12 2013 - VSG   

2by4
on 2/19/13 10:02 pm

Why Nexium instead of Prevacid?

VBG: Dr. Abawi (Bowmanville) Jun-2004.   Weight Loss:  237 ⬇ 164 = 73 pounds loss in first year.
Bariatric Network Registry:  19-Aug-2011                               Orientation at HRRH:  17-Aug-2012
Consult with Dr. Hagen (HRRH): 29-Aug-2012              Doctor ordered Gastroscopy:  10-Oct-2012
Meetings with  Nurse,  Vampire,  Registered Dietician  and  Social Worker  (HRRH):  24-Oct-2012
Consult with Internist Dr Glazer:  29-Oct-2012          Ordered Cardiac Ultrasound 12-Nov-2012
Met with Dr. Hagen: 12-Nov-2012    Surgery date 19-Feb-2013     (07- Jan-2013 date revised)
Pre-Admission Tests:  10-Jan-2013     Started OptiFast: 14-Jan-2013     Starting Weight:  233
Conversion Surgery VBG ➜ RnY with Dr. Hagen:  28-Jan-2013          Weight day of Surgery:  216

katzmeow13
on 2/20/13 4:52 am
I was on nexium pre surgery and am back on it now 5 weeks later, but I spent the first four weeks post op on Prevacid fast tab since nexium cannot be crushed or disolved

HW:282      pre-opti W: 268       CW: 172.       SW:255.5

Surgery: RNY   Jan. 17, 2013   Dr Raiche   OTTAWA

Most Active
Recent Topics