VSG 3 years ago, how to get DS now?

nicholivolkoff
on 2/27/13 4:40 am - Canada

Hi, I am just northwest of Toronto by about an hour. I had a vsg, never got down to goal weight, and now I am gaining. Had surgery at Barix in Michigan 3 years ago. I am under 200 pounds, so I am sure no ohip coverage, and no health issues. My thyroid has been checked and everything. How does one get a DS in the most cost effective way, yet safe? How much does it cost? Thanks a lot!    I guess technically I would only need half a DS.

(deactivated member)
on 2/27/13 4:47 am - Bumfuknowhere, Canada

Dr Gagner in Montreal does self pay DS but no idea what he charges for just doing the switch part. You can try emailing him [email protected]  I had read on another board that he hasn't been answering emails much lately so you may have to call his office.

http://www.obesityhelp.com/profiles/bariatric-surgeon/dr-mic hel-gagner/

rickellz
on 2/27/13 5:17 am - Canada

My GP has told me they are doing the surgery in Ontario now in Toronto at one of the Bariatric Centres. I had my DS with Dr Lutrzykowski in Michigan.

PatXYZ
on 2/27/13 5:23 am

It's Dr. Dennis Hong at St. Joe's Hamilton.

I had OHIP approved Duodenal Switch surgery with Dr. Dennis Hong at St. Joseph's Hamilton on March 7th, 2012. Want more information on the DS in Ontario? Send me a private message!
Nanato2
on 2/27/13 5:27 am - Canada
VSG on 02/12/13

You would have to get your family doctor to referral you to the Ontario Bariatric Network. OHIP does have criteria that you will need to meet   I have attached it below from the network.

If you want to pay yourself if you do not meet criteria you will need to go out of the country to have it done.

How is eligibility determined?

In order to determine a person’s eligibility for weight loss surgery, Body Mass Index (BMI) is used as one criterion. This is a mathematical calculation of weight in relation to height. A person is a candidate for surgery if he or she:

1. has failed previous attempts at weight loss in a medically supervised program
  2. has a Body Mass Index:
    • over 40 or
    • between 35 and 40 with obesity-related medical problems

Referral- March 2012, Letter April 19, Orientation TWH- June 6, NP - July 3, Sleep Apena test July 16, Internist and SW  - July 17, Nutritional class - July 23, Dietician appt. July 30th, Psych-Social appt - Aug 20th. Follow up with doctor sleep apena Aug. 28th  Surgeons appt. - Dec. 14th Dr. Jackson. Surgery date - Feb 12 2013 - VSG   

Hanneli xoxo
on 2/27/13 5:31 am - Sudbury, Canada
RNY on 10/30/12

hey.. she is looking for the most safest cost effective way because she said "I am under 200 pounds, so I am sure no ohip coverage, and no health issues."

Nanato2
on 2/27/13 5:35 am, edited 2/27/13 5:37 am - Canada
VSG on 02/12/13

Yes I understand but I was trying to explain to her that she will not be able to get it done in Ontario if she doesn't meet criteria and maybe she will have to research USA or Mexico. So maybe she can also post on DS forum and they could help her out also about the costing.

Referral- March 2012, Letter April 19, Orientation TWH- June 6, NP - July 3, Sleep Apena test July 16, Internist and SW  - July 17, Nutritional class - July 23, Dietician appt. July 30th, Psych-Social appt - Aug 20th. Follow up with doctor sleep apena Aug. 28th  Surgeons appt. - Dec. 14th Dr. Jackson. Surgery date - Feb 12 2013 - VSG   

PaulaToronto
on 2/27/13 7:09 am - Toronto, Canada

Dr. Gagner or Christou in Montreal would be my choice for the switch part.

Highest W 312   Referral W 252   Surgery W 237   CW 156  Height 5'6"            

(deactivated member)
on 2/27/13 9:43 am - Bumfuknowhere, Canada

Christou doesn't do the switch or at least he doesn't list DS as one of the surgeries he performs.  I think Gagner is the only one that does self pay in Quebec.

nicholivolkoff
on 2/27/13 9:33 am - Canada

Thanks everyone, I have a bmi of 31, way too  low for ohip. Ohip covered my vsg when I was 240 pounds. I am 178 and climbing right now. I would prefer to go local such as within a reasonable driving distance, just wondered if anyone out there got the full ds after a failed vsg. I wonder if Canada/USA costs are way worse than Mexico for self payers. Does anyone even have an idea of what a self pay pays with a full DS around here? Thanks so much!!

Most Active
Recent Topics