HRRH Patient Info Session - what is it all about?

EternalEx
on 3/1/13 9:48 am - Canada

So, I'm scheduled for next Thursday at HRRH for the first session. I was speaking with my mom and she expressed interest in attending. Just wondering what is covered in this session? Do they talk about the actual surgery, pre/post op, etc? I'm wondering if this is a good one for her to come to or if the second class and/or meeting with surgeon would be better? She's very supportive, she's just looking for more info to put her mind at ease.

Also, when I spoke with HRRH today I was expecting her to provide me with my NUT, SW and additional dates (this is what they did 3 years ago when I first looking into the option), but she told me I would need to complete a questionnairee and attend this session before they determine if i'm "fit enough" for surgery. My question - when will they book these appointments? And when do they determine if i'm a "fit" to move forward to the other steps?

Cuter_w_Curves
on 3/1/13 10:50 am - Oshawa, Ontario, Canada
VSG on 01/08/13

Questionnaire handed in at Orientation. Take her to this (you called it patient information) as it is the only class till 1 month post op.

They will phone you after entering your data into the system with appointments. They cannot schedule 20-30/session in the room on the fly.

Dr Sullivan VSG Jan. 8th, 2013!
  Lost 100 lbs in a year post op with a VSG. 

gardeninggal
on 3/1/13 12:50 pm - Midland, Canada

Congratulations on your appointment firstly and it is wonderful that your mom is on board with your journey.  The information session covers many aspects of the surgery as well as the dietary/lifestyle changes that are suggested to be successful.  Hope all goes well for youangry

EternalEx
on 3/2/13 6:01 am - Canada

Ok, so I guess I'm a little confused...this appointment on march 7th will be my first so that would be Orientation, correct?

The Patient Info Session is the second session, after the other appointments.

So...what is covered in Orientation?

Cuter_w_Curves
on 3/2/13 7:25 am, edited 3/2/13 7:25 am - Oshawa, Ontario, Canada
VSG on 01/08/13

They are the same thing at HRRH.

BASICS (knowing things like psychiatrist, etc. can be added as needed where they fit)

1. Orientation. KEEP the book. It has your first 4 weeks post op food plans. You need to fill out the 21 page thing to hand in here. You will sign papers indicating you wish to proceed at the Orientation. They go over the surgery, the costs of vitamins, the plan, the process, the expectations, etc.
  2. They take UP TO 4-6 weeks to enter all the information on the form.
  3. Meet the Surgeon.
  4. Registered Nurse/Dietician/Social worker come next. With your blood work done in the PATT's blood work area. The nurse goes over the form you handed in at Orientation with you. You will be weighed and have your waist measurement taken here as well as BP, etc. on your RN visit.
  5. Repeat appointments here if needed with any of those 3 who wish to see you again.
  6. If your surgeon is through HRRH it's self Dr Glazier is the Internal Medicine Dr. and you see him. If it is through the St. Joe's Toronto location you don't do this here.
  7. If he see's you and you need tests done they come here.
  8. Meet the Surgeon again and pick up your Opti-fast. Date given here OR via phone.
  9. PATT's at the hospital will be just before or after starting Opti. St. Joe's PATT's includes an Internal Medicine Dr. All include blood work, medical history, EKG, blood pressure, being weighed, etc.
  10. Surgery.
  11. 1 month follow up with Surgeon & 1 month follow up nutrition class.
  12. 3 month appointments booked at 1 month and will include bloodwork.
  13. 6 month appointment.
  14. 1 year appointment at clinic AND with surgeon for all surgeries.
  15. 2, 3, 4, & 5 year appointments at the clinic for all. Surgeon appointment for VSG on these as well depending on your surgeon. Some are tracking VSG stats.

THOSE are the basic plan. There can and will be differences from one person to the next but hopefully that gives you a fair idea of the actual process.

EternalEx
on 3/2/13 7:33 am - Canada
Thanks for the break down - huge help! The info on the HRRH site of the Bariatric Registry mentioned 2 courses, (and the process was hugely different 3 years ago) so hence, my utter confusion!

Now i know more of what to expect
Cuter_w_Curves
on 3/2/13 7:40 am - Oshawa, Ontario, Canada
VSG on 01/08/13

They combined the pre-op nutrition class and orientation to save time.

Tania S.
on 3/2/13 10:34 am - Owen sound, Canada
RNY on 01/16/13

Also get a parking pass for 45.00....it's way cheaper then paying15.00 each time

You maybe only one person in the world, but to one person you are the world.

Most Active
Recent Topics