Newbie! :) Current wait times for Guelph?

cdnmacgirl
on 3/3/13 9:29 am - Canada

I had my doctor send a referral to Guelph last week (I am in Kitchener). Currently how long is the wait there? I heard it would take about 3-4 weeks to get an invite to the orientation?...a lot of the tests needed, I have already been through this past year...would this make it easier for me to get through 'the system'? I also have seen a psychiatrist on and off in the past few years. I want to have the sleeve done. Also, is it unreasonable to think I could be back to work a week after surgery? I sit at a desk all day and if I get the ok, my boss is going to freak about me being off work for a long period of time - we don't have short/long term disability either...boo. (I have also had dermoid ovarian surgery - very much like a c-section and healed well and quickly).

thanks!

A

Alice-58_.
on 3/3/13 11:42 am
VSG on 02/26/13

I was told at my pre op in early Feb, Guelph had recieved more funding to increase their number of bariatric surgeries. Once I got thru the Nurse, SW and NUT appts and they signed me off, it took me a month to see a surgeon and I had a surgery date booked 2 months after that appt, Maybe will go faster now or maybe there's a backlog to catch up on. I just don't know. Having all the prerequisite tests already completed, will definitely push you through faster. I have been watching this site for 2 years and can definitely see less wait times between initial referral and actual surgery dates. Meanwhile, take the time to research everything you can about the process. It's a steep learning curve and a real lifestyle change. Not all about the surgery. I am speaking from experience.

Live near Bayfield. Referral June 2011 to Windsor Bariatric Referral Center. July asked to be transferred to Guelph as closer but file got lost..  Orientation Nov 2011, Guelph. Nurse,Nut and SW X3 mid 2012. Surgeon Dec 2012. VGS Surgery Feb 26 2013 Dr Jules Guelph

cdnmacgirl
on 3/3/13 11:55 am - Canada

Thanks for your reply Alice! I have been researching the heck out of this. I've been wanting to do this for years now and then I turned 39 this year and it was like the fear switch turned off in me. I've decided that I let fear take control of my life way too long and I need to do this. I've just wasted too much of my life. :)

tiffany1971
on 3/3/13 12:03 pm - Kitchener, Canada

First off WELCOME!!! This is a great site with lots of very helpful people!!!

I 'm also with Guelph, I believe that the process is getting faster, but you are probably still looking at a year's wait?!!??Referral for me was Feb29th/12...orientation Oct 18th/12, first set of appts Nov 29th, 2nd set of appts Dec 31 & Jan 24th/13, post -op class March 12th/13 and I'm hoping for surgery in June/13.

Hope this helps!

(deactivated member)
on 3/3/13 12:34 pm

Check out my timeline, in my signature. Its different for everyone. I have no medical issues, highr BMI (47) and my time line is longer than others. Got referred last May, wating for my second set of appointments in April... hoping for a september surgery.... or earlier :P 

lisachevy
on 3/3/13 1:22 pm - Kitchener, Canada
Welcome! I am also from kitchener going through guelph. I was rereferred in august 2012 had orientation again. In sept. Went through first and second apointments fine except for the dietition. I had to see them 3 times. Had post op class Feb 5th was supposed to see surgoen by now but their was a mix up with cpap stuff (don't have sleep apnea yet doctor at clinic still sugested I should have one) now I hear I "should" see surgeon begining of April, but we will see. If you have all the testing done a head of time it will def help. Your still going to have to see social worker no matter if you have seen someone in past before though. Good luck
cdnmacgirl
on 3/3/13 8:32 pm - Canada

Thanks ladies!  I appreciate all the replies! 

NewMe2.0
on 3/4/13 12:26 am - Ontario, Canada
RNY on 05/20/14

I too am going through Guelph.

My referal was sent and received early February 2013.

I called to make sure they had my referal, as the first time my doctor sent it to the wrong place (instead of the registry she sent

it to a bariatric clinic at Hamilton General (opti- program).

Anyway I spoke to someone last week and they advise that it is usually 4-6 months before orientation- even though I have seen

it happen way quicker on the forum.

I guess we will all just have to wait and see.

Good luck to everyone!

Corinna H.
on 3/4/13 7:14 am - Guelph, Canada
RNY on 07/03/13

Good luck! I am in Guelph. I was referred Dec 2012 and had orientation Feb 21/13 and first SW, NUT and nurse appt is June 4/13.

HW: 293.4 SW: 261.4 CW: 161 Referral - Dec 5/12.  Orientation: Feb 21/13. Upper GI and Ab u/s March 7/13. RN, NUT, SW Apr 8/13. 1st appt Dr. Klein Apr 11/13. fu NUT May 2/13. Dr. Glazer May 27/13. 2nd appt Dr. Klein June 3/13. Opti June 19/13. PATTS June 20/13 . RNY - July 3, 2013   

finaly4me79
on 3/6/13 1:27 am

I too am going to Guelth I started my Journey (orientation) on March 22nd 2012 I got my referral to the surgeon on Oct 4th 2012 I had my Education class on Oct 18th and then waited to meet the surgeon and pick up my Optifast on Jan 29th 2013. I am booked for my surgery April 4th. I heard that Guelth is moving fast right now and with everything said and done from beginning to surgery the typical time frame is around a year. You should be getting that call soon. 

Most Active
Recent Topics