Milk solution for those (like ME!) that are now Lactose Intolerant

2by4
on 3/8/13 2:56 pm

I absolutely LOVE milk and all dairy products!!

I was really disheartened to discover that I have become lactose intolerant after having my RnY 6 weeks ago.  And... then I remembered reading about a (somewhat "local") farmer that has started his own milk producing plant right on his farm, using 100% of his own Jersey Cows' Milk.

From their website (http://www.millersdairy.com/index.html):

According to the American Jersey Cattle Association, reported by the University of Tennessee Institute of Agriculture, milk from Jersey cattle offers the greatest nutritional value providing 15-20% more quality protein and 15-18% more calcium.

I contacted the farmer to ask him if he has the nutritional values for his milk and I told him I'd recently become lactose intolerant.  He replied to me that he is in the process of having his milk analyzed for its nutritional value AND.... he told me that he gets an awful lot of feedback from consumers telling him that even though they're lactose intolerant with off-the-shelf-garden-variety milk products, they are able to tolerate and digest Jersey Milk without any problems. 

Soooo... I tried.. and it's amazing!  No problem whatsoever!  I have tried the 2%, the 1% and the chocolate milk.  Somehow I am able to tolerate Jersey Milk.  Woot Woot.

Rumour has it that all of the fat and cream that is skimmed off is sold to Chapman's in Markdale and becomes a key ingredient in their delicious ice cream!

The milk is pasteurized and Vitamin D is added and bottled in glass bottles.  There are no preservatives so the milk can only be purchased within a 50km distance from the farm (which is in Creemore).  There is a $2 refundable deposit for each glass bottle and the milk per litre is no more expensive than the other stuff on the shelf.

Here's a list where it can be purchased:  (http://www.millersdairy.com/products.html)

Alcona Beach
  • Alcona Beach Sobeys
Alliston
  • Alliston Sobeys
Angus
  • Angus Sobeys
Barrie
  • European Fine Food & Deli
  • Georgian College Dining Room
  • Sobeys Mapleview
  • Warwick & Hughes Food Market
Beeton
  • Ken and Bonnie's Foodland
Collingwood
  • Blue Ridge Meats
  • Collingwood Community Food Co-Op
  • Collingwood Sobeys
  • Crossroads Convenience
  • Curries Market
Cookstown
  • Cookstown Foodland
  • Lui's Place
Creemore
  • 100 Mile Store
  • Affairs Catering Bakery & Cafe
  • Chez Michael Restaurant
  • Creemore Foodland
  • Sovereign Restaurant
Elmvale
  • Elmvale Foodland
  • Valley Farm Market (Hwy. 92)

Everett
  • Everett Variety

Glencairn
  • Stephens Store

Glen Huron
  • Giffen's Market

Horseshoe Valley Road
  • Nicholyn Farms

New Lowell
  • Hasty Market

Nottawa
  • D&L Variety

Orangeville
  • Orangeville Sobeys

Orillia
  • Abernethy's Foodland

Shelburne
  • Shelburne Foodland

Stayner
  • A&D Bird Seed
  • Fernwood Market
  • Stayner Foodland
  • Sugar Bowl Bakery
  • Town & Country

Thornbury
  • The Cheese Gallery

VBG: Dr. Abawi (Bowmanville) Jun-2004.   Weight Loss:  237 ⬇ 164 = 73 pounds loss in first year.
Bariatric Network Registry:  19-Aug-2011                               Orientation at HRRH:  17-Aug-2012
Consult with Dr. Hagen (HRRH): 29-Aug-2012              Doctor ordered Gastroscopy:  10-Oct-2012
Meetings with  Nurse,  Vampire,  Registered Dietician  and  Social Worker  (HRRH):  24-Oct-2012
Consult with Internist Dr Glazer:  29-Oct-2012          Ordered Cardiac Ultrasound 12-Nov-2012
Met with Dr. Hagen: 12-Nov-2012    Surgery date 19-Feb-2013     (07- Jan-2013 date revised)
Pre-Admission Tests:  10-Jan-2013     Started OptiFast: 14-Jan-2013     Starting Weight:  233
Conversion Surgery VBG ➜ RnY with Dr. Hagen:  28-Jan-2013          Weight day of Surgery:  216

Sylvie G.
on 3/8/13 8:13 pm, edited 3/8/13 8:24 pm - Monroeville, IN
RNY on 04/16/13

Good to know. I'll be having surgery in a few months so if I have any problems I can get this stuff in Alcona, where I live.  I forgot you're like my twin. I too had a VBG with Abawi and have Dr. Hagen for my revision. Having a scope with him next week and going to try to get a surgery date out of him at that time. Wish me luck :)

Needanewbeginning
on 3/8/13 9:33 pm - Barrie, Canada
RNY on 05/21/13

Great information, thank you. I love milk so now I won't be so worried about not being able to have a glass of it after  my surgery. Thanks for listing where we can buy it as well.

Starting weight: 334 lbs.Starting opti weight: 323 lbs, Surgery weight 303 lbs.Surgery-May 21st, 2013 with Dr Hagen at HRRH Goal weight 165 lbs reached at 13 months. Current weight 156 lbs

EternalEx
on 3/9/13 2:58 am - Canada
Great info - i'm already lactose intolerant, and had never heard of a difference between milk from different breeds. I will have to give this a try! Thanks!
2by4
on 3/9/13 5:12 am

Usually, all the milk from different farmers, different farms, different cows, different breeds... etc, all get thrown in the same vat - and we can't tell the difference.

In this case, because the farmer is ONLY using his cows and they're all Jerseys, seems there's a huge difference.  I always knew the Jerseys produce high fat milk, but I didn't know it would be different in protein content.

Did I mention how good it tastes?

VBG: Dr. Abawi (Bowmanville) Jun-2004.   Weight Loss:  237 ⬇ 164 = 73 pounds loss in first year.
Bariatric Network Registry:  19-Aug-2011                               Orientation at HRRH:  17-Aug-2012
Consult with Dr. Hagen (HRRH): 29-Aug-2012              Doctor ordered Gastroscopy:  10-Oct-2012
Meetings with  Nurse,  Vampire,  Registered Dietician  and  Social Worker  (HRRH):  24-Oct-2012
Consult with Internist Dr Glazer:  29-Oct-2012          Ordered Cardiac Ultrasound 12-Nov-2012
Met with Dr. Hagen: 12-Nov-2012    Surgery date 19-Feb-2013     (07- Jan-2013 date revised)
Pre-Admission Tests:  10-Jan-2013     Started OptiFast: 14-Jan-2013     Starting Weight:  233
Conversion Surgery VBG ➜ RnY with Dr. Hagen:  28-Jan-2013          Weight day of Surgery:  216

Most Active
Recent Topics