Exercising before surgery

kristaeb
on 3/12/13 7:31 am

I was wondering about exercising before surgery. I have started doing more and was wondering what they expect us to be doing before we have our surgery. Thanks for any input. Krista..

(deactivated member)
on 3/12/13 7:55 am - Peterborough, Canada
RNY on 10/19/12

Every little bit will help. I had started aquafit for at least 2 years prior to my surgery.

Patm
on 3/12/13 8:24 am - Ontario, Canada
RNY on 01/20/12

Do what you can but they do not expect you to be able to do a lot before surgery. Many of us could not before due to excess weight.

Diminishing Dawn
on 3/12/13 9:31 am - Windsor, Canada

It's really wonderful if you could incorporate a little walking into your day.  whether it's a set routine of walking 20 minutes a night or parking further in the parking lot etc, adding steps to your day is really a wonderful thing and sets you up for some good habits later on.

Dawn

17+ years post op RNY. first year blog here or My LongTimer blog. Tummy Tuck Dr. Matic 2014 -Ohip funded panni Windsor WLS support group.message me anytime!
HW:290 LW:139 RW: 167 CW: 139

kristaeb
on 3/12/13 9:44 am

Thanks , i do what i can but because i am 275lbs my feet and legs swell and of course the knees and back start hurting. I cant believe i have done this to myself . But at least i am doing something. I cant wait to be able to walk and do things that i used to. I have gained 100lbs in the last 2 years, and before that i walked everywhere and i miss it very much. And the thing i look forward to the most is taking my 22month old grandson for a walk and play at the park. He is my motivation. And i see him as the prize at the end of this journey. Thanks Everyone. Krista...

highlandbear
on 3/12/13 1:04 pm - Canada

Try aquafit. It is easier on the joints. I know the y in Hamilton is trying out Yoga in the water and people with joint pain are saying it is wonderful. You may want to see if there is  a pool close to you who is offering that. 

onmom
on 3/12/13 11:34 pm

I was told it would be really helpful. Not for the weight loss but for fitness level to be better to get through surgery easier and move better during recovery.

Most Active
Recent Topics