Few questions .......

Nevergiveup28
on 3/16/13 1:02 pm

So I am five weeks post op and have a few questions.

First, should it be okay now to swallow my Prevacid whole without mixing the granules with something? I know iI still need to wait thirty minutes before eating but just wanted to make sure.

Secondly, has anyone taking Omega 3 capsules to help with constipation.  If so, what amount did you take and should I be able to swallow them whole? Also, did the help?

Thanks for all your input.

Dar_Mab
on 3/16/13 1:04 pm - Kitchener, ON, Canada
RNY on 03/08/13

I swallow my Prevacid whole. Do it in the afternoon with my water or juice. No problem. In fact bottle states clearly not to break it up and to take whole.  I have no problems swallowing pills apparently

HW: 305   SW: 272  CW: 155  Height: 5'4"

Nevergiveup28
on 3/16/13 1:09 pm

Really? At HRRH they had me opening it up and mixing it with 15 ml of applesauce or yogurt then waiting 30 minutes before I eat my breakfast. Maybe this is different for each centre?

2by4
on 3/16/13 1:17 pm

Prevacid is very confusing!

Each nurse I had at HRRH advised a different method of taking the Prevacid.  The formula I was given in the hospital was a "Fast Tab" and it was chewable.  For the most part, I was told to chew it - it was usually given to me with my breakfast.

When I went to the HRRH pharmacy to pick up my prescription of Prevacid Fast Tabs to take home, the pharmacist there told me I was to dissolve it in water and take it a half hour before breakfast.

I was able to toss it into the odd protein shake I was mixing, but I could still taste it.

No matter what method I tried, it made me gag.... gag so badly that I was dry heaving and it was very painful.  Dr. Hagen told me to not bother taking the Prevacid at all.

Big sigh.

VBG: Dr. Abawi (Bowmanville) Jun-2004.   Weight Loss:  237 ⬇ 164 = 73 pounds loss in first year.
Bariatric Network Registry:  19-Aug-2011                               Orientation at HRRH:  17-Aug-2012
Consult with Dr. Hagen (HRRH): 29-Aug-2012              Doctor ordered Gastroscopy:  10-Oct-2012
Meetings with  Nurse,  Vampire,  Registered Dietician  and  Social Worker  (HRRH):  24-Oct-2012
Consult with Internist Dr Glazer:  29-Oct-2012          Ordered Cardiac Ultrasound 12-Nov-2012
Met with Dr. Hagen: 12-Nov-2012    Surgery date 19-Feb-2013     (07- Jan-2013 date revised)
Pre-Admission Tests:  10-Jan-2013     Started OptiFast: 14-Jan-2013     Starting Weight:  233
Conversion Surgery VBG ➜ RnY with Dr. Hagen:  28-Jan-2013          Weight day of Surgery:  216

Cindyloowho
on 3/16/13 1:30 pm - London, Canada

I take them whole as well I have taken pills whole since the second day after my surgery when they brought me pain pills and have never had any problems either.  I guess that I can swallow pills also.  At first I was nervous but it was okay.

Cindy

Surgery - Mar 8, 2013             

Goal Weight - 145  Surgery Weight - 228  Current Weight - 132

debralight
on 3/16/13 2:03 pm - Canada

Depending on the coating on the capsules they will just slide through unabsorbed. You'd need to squeeze out the oil to ensure that it absorbed.

I'm not sure your tummy would be happy with a shot of oil this early out. I find fat can still, years out from surgery, sit uneasily in my pouch.

Sometimes the best support  you can get isn't all purple puddles and pink rainbows.

Nanato2
on 3/16/13 9:50 pm - Canada
VSG on 02/12/13

At TWH one month NUT and NP class last week they told us things are changing and people with RNY can now swallow their pills there is no need any longer to crush them.

Referral- March 2012, Letter April 19, Orientation TWH- June 6, NP - July 3, Sleep Apena test July 16, Internist and SW  - July 17, Nutritional class - July 23, Dietician appt. July 30th, Psych-Social appt - Aug 20th. Follow up with doctor sleep apena Aug. 28th  Surgeons appt. - Dec. 14th Dr. Jackson. Surgery date - Feb 12 2013 - VSG   

(deactivated member)
on 3/16/13 11:29 pm - Straford, Canada

If you desire the omega three you may want to add ground flax seed to your morning routine, helps with O3 and fibre.  By week 5 you should be able to take any pill that doesn't choke you, though I still split my calcium tabs in half because they're so darned huge and nicely scored for breaking in half. 

Most Active
Recent Topics