Thank you from a "wait-er"

mamap79
on 3/18/13 11:51 am

Hey everyone,

I must say that I love this site, I make sure that I check it once a day and absorb all the info and others life experiences that they graciously share. There are people that I privately root for and closely follow their journey and others who’s wicked sense of humor make me smile. I don’t really post, a few questions when I was “new” but more or less I come and surround myself (through cyber space) with like minded people and take it all in. With people who ultimately have the same goal as I do. 

I really felt compelled to write and share with everyone why I am a “wait-er”. I am the exception to impatience. I am the best “wait-er” there is. While I look forward to each step of this journey and the hoops that I may have to jump through, I am in no super hurry. I like taking my time to become fully informed, make great decisions and let each new day bring what it may. I make too many other rash decisions in a day, week, month to mess this one up. While some want their struggle to be over NOW I am taking this time to mourn the loss of “fat” me (I’m 5’6 ish with a BMI of 42) and slowly implement the changes that will make my life better. I am trying to learn all that I possibly can on how this new tool, that I want so badly, will change my life in ways that I can’t even imagine yet! I know that I will be so excited when my time comes and each step closer reminds me of the fact. Each small victory that you all share is encouragement to this private “wait-er”. I want to thank you all for that and wish you the greatest amount of joy and success as possible!

Basically I just wanted to send out some positive vibes, let everyone out there know that I rooting for you to succeed and most importantly to take a minute and breathe:)

referral: October 2012 orientation: January 2013 (Guelph) SW/nurse/NUT: May 6, 2013

nutrition class: May 15, 2013 second SW/nurse/NUT: July 8, 2013 post op diet class Feb 3, 2014

meet surgeon March 13, 2014 (Dr. Pereira-Hong) scheduled surgery April 1, 2014 (Guelph)

Cuter_w_Curves
on 3/18/13 12:50 pm - Oshawa, Ontario, Canada
VSG on 01/08/13

Thank you for posting and coming out of lurking mode.

Sounds like you are enjoying the process. Learning, experiencing, and allowing yourself time to absorb the changes and what they will mean. That is an awesome way of doing things.

Shell

Dr Sullivan VSG Jan. 8th, 2013!
  Lost 100 lbs in a year post op with a VSG. 

Amanda F.
on 3/18/13 1:25 pm - Toronto, Canada
VSG on 01/10/13

I wish your comment could become a sticky on the page. I think so many get caught up in wanting the instant gratification, that they forget that completing the process yields the best long-term results. Best of luck you to!

Referral to Bariatric Program at TWH: 08/09/11     Orientation at TWH: 08/17/11                 Nurse Practitioner: 10/12/11
Social Worker: 12/02/11                                         Nutrition Class: 12/21/11                         Nutrition Assessment: 01/26/12
Psycho-Social Assessment: 05/31/12                      Meet Dr. Penner (TWH) 11/30/12            Pre-Admission: 12/10/12

Surgery Date: January 10, 2013
LilySlim Weight loss tickers

For more information on the Midtown Toronto Walking Club, please click here.

time2changeme
on 3/18/13 1:44 pm

Welcome!  Thanks for joining us!

Dar_Mab
on 3/18/13 8:37 pm - Kitchener, ON, Canada
RNY on 03/08/13

I was like that too!    Although it was just 1 month short of 2 years from referral to surgery date, I used that time to be sure this is really for me and that I had the best grasp possible on what my new lifestyle would look like.      It will come in time and since it is a process you can't hurry up, you might as well sit back and wait it out.   

Welcome aboard and thanks for posting!

Dar

HW: 305   SW: 272  CW: 155  Height: 5'4"

(deactivated member)
on 3/18/13 10:24 pm - Peterborough, Canada
RNY on 10/19/12

Thanks for sharing and jumping in to post. I am rooting for you too.

kellybelly333
on 3/18/13 11:10 pm - Toronto, Canada

Excellent post! You are very wise to go through this process step-by-step. As much as it took awhile for me to get into orientation (they lost my phone number...so I didn't hear from them for 9 months), the rest of the process seemed to go by fast (especially the surgery date itself...5 days from meeting the surgeon!)

I never thought to "mourn" my fat self. I just wanted to be healthy....ASAP. If I taken the time to figure out a few things beforehand, I would have had an easier time mentally.

Congrats, and good luck with your journey!

Surgery March 23/2011. Completed three full marathons and two half marathons, two half Ironman distances. Completed my first Full Ironman distance (4 km swim, 180 km bike, 42.2 km (full marathon) run) in Muskoka August 30/2015. Next Ironman Lake Placid July 23/2017!

Lori_Lee
on 3/19/13 1:55 am - Canada

Great post and thank you for sharing!

I often marvel and awe at people who have the ability to enjoy the process and the journey - I am always reminding myself to slow down and reflect on what I have done or accomplished and take 'time to smell the roses'.  Actually, each year between Christmas and New Years' my husband and I do just that - we sit, relax and discuss the year and its successes, triumphs and failures... and the goals for next year.  It is very rewarding.

Your post reminds me to do just that with regards to this process.  Thank you.

Embrace your journey!

Cheers,

Lori Lee

TWH Orientation - Oct 17, 2012   SW - Nov 19, 2012   Nurse - Dec 12, 2012  Group Nutrition Class - Jan 14, 2013  Psychologist Feb 12, 2013  Nutrition March 15, 2013 Surgeon - April 5th (Dr Penner) Surgery May 16th 

Most Active
Recent Topics