Carbs Question

orcoco
on 3/26/13 4:39 am

After looking through some other posts on the board I've become a little confused. If you are getting in all your protein, do you really need to watch healthy carbs?

I had been watching them...usually about 40 grams a day, which I thought maybe was even a bit much?

When I went for my three month post op appt last week, the dietician told me that I needed to up my carbs to about 100 grams per day, as long as I continued to get in all my protein.  She told me at this point I should be eating pasta, rice and whole grain bread daily. (as long as I could tolerate it)

Has anyone else been told this? 

Referral to Humber April 1, 2012     Orientation September 4, 2012     Meet Surgeon October 5, 2012      SW, Dietician, Nurse November 16, 2012     Dr Glazier Nov 22, 2012  Start Optifast Nov 23, 2012   Pre-Op Nov 27, 2012  Surgery December 14 with Dr. Starr

starry957
on 3/26/13 5:02 am

Welcome to the confused club - I, too, continue to get mixed information on this.  Currently, at 11 weeks out, my plan is to "vary" my carbs - 20 grams or under for a couple days, then 30ish, and so on...I have no real idea if this is the best way or not.  Some will advocate super low carb (under 20grams - esp VSG) and others are more around 30 - 40.

My weight loss has been just fine, and I have not (YET) had a stall....so, I will keep keeping on, in this manner.

January 8th, 2013 - VSG with Dr Paul Sullivan (St Joe's Toronto)

Delicious_Delilah
on 3/26/13 5:19 am - Ottawa, Canada

At my six month appointment a few weeks ago, the dietician also told me to up both my calories and my carbs...hold onto your socks...to about 1400-1500 calories a day and 170-180 grams of carbs/day.  I practically fell off my chair.  I will note that she is a seasoned dietician with the weight loss clinic...not a newbie or contract hire that doesn't know what she's talking about.

In part, she explained that they calculate your needs based on how active you are, as well as your current weight.  As I am very active, working out about six days a week, she wanted me to make an effort to reach those goals and divide my diet according to 50% carbs, 30% fat, and 20% protein, and getting in about 80g of protein a day.

I was a bit skeptical, but I have to say that since upping my calories and carbs -- I'm getting in around 1300 calories and 140-150g of carbs on days that I work out, that my weight loss has actually increased from about 2-3 lbs/week to closer to 4-5 lbs/week.  Don't know if it's a phase/coincidence or if my body is reacting well to the extra calories/carbs and is no longer in starvation mode and hence is releasing weight more easily.  Whatever the case, I'm pretty happy with the results.  I haven't seen weight loss like this since the first three months post-surgery. 

Of course, you want to make sure that the extra carbs you're consuming are healthy, like fruit, whole grains, etc.

Diminishing Dawn
on 3/26/13 5:36 am - Windsor, Canada

The dieticians will always push the carbs because they follow the standard Canada food guide.  

17+ years post op RNY. first year blog here or My LongTimer blog. Tummy Tuck Dr. Matic 2014 -Ohip funded panni Windsor WLS support group.message me anytime!
HW:290 LW:139 RW: 167 CW: 139

Delicious_Delilah
on 3/26/13 6:22 am - Ottawa, Canada

I would agree with Diminishing Dawn about most dieticians -- pushing the standard food guide -- but the dietician I am referring to is a seasoned veteran who works day in and day out with WLS patients, and has done so for years.

I'm not a carb advocate.  I've done low carb...a lot!  Carbs generally scare me, especially because I know it can be a slippery slope (can't get into the bad carbs or I'm lost).  But after a good discussion with the dietician in which she provided sound and reasoned advice, and with the results I'm now seeing, well, I have to say that I'm inclined to agree with her...at least for me. 

Now everyone is different.  And I think it would be prudent to watch your intake, and if you increase your intake, to measure and assess your results after a few weeks time.  What works for me, might not work for everyone!

Some food for thought...pun entirely intended!

Cheers,

DD

Patm
on 3/26/13 6:26 am - Ontario, Canada
RNY on 01/20/12

Maybe because I am older but I have never been told to up my carbs. I no longer choose to eat pasta, rice or potatoes. If I do it is about 1 tbsp. I also only  had bread about three times in the last year. These are trigger foods for me. I also eat until I am full. By the time I have protein, veg and salad for dinner I am full. Right now i am not very active which will change as the spring comes but I doubt i will be active enough for those kind of carbs.

I think you need to look at your activity level and what works for you

orcoco
on 3/26/13 6:38 am

Thanks everyone for your advice...I really do appreciate it!

I've increased my carbs over the past 5 days...not to 100 grams, but 70-80 grams, and it doesn't appear to be slowing anything down, things are still consistent with what they were.  I guess I'll just stick with this for now and see what happens. I was just nervous to change things up when what I was doing before was working!

Thanks again!

Referral to Humber April 1, 2012     Orientation September 4, 2012     Meet Surgeon October 5, 2012      SW, Dietician, Nurse November 16, 2012     Dr Glazier Nov 22, 2012  Start Optifast Nov 23, 2012   Pre-Op Nov 27, 2012  Surgery December 14 with Dr. Starr

Most Active
Recent Topics