Test For Bacteria In Stomach

kristaeb
on 3/27/13 8:43 am

I just had my gastroscopy today at HRRH by Dr Haggan. It went well and he said he can do my surgery , and that will include a revision from a VBG. More risky and more work for him he said with a smile. But he mentioned he will have to check for bacteria in my stomach.He said we will talk about it again in his office soon. Does anyone what kind of test happens for this? Thanks for any info. Krista..

Sylvie G.
on 3/27/13 8:51 am - Monroeville, IN
RNY on 04/16/13

Hi Krista.  Dr. Hagen did a scope on me a few weeks ago.  I too am having a revision from VBG to RNY.  My surgery is on April 16th.  He never mentioned a bacteria check for me.  Maybe he saw something while doing the scope that is making him want to do that test.  I'm sure it's not a big deal whatever it is.

Referral - 12/21/12, Referral Received - 1/10/13, Orientation - 1/21/13, Met Dr. Hagen - 2/20/13, NUT, RN, SW - 3/13/13, Gastroscopy - 3/13/13, Dr. Glazer - 3/21/13, Pick-up Opti - 3/21/13, PATTS - 3/21/13, Surgery - 4/16/13

anewstart
on 3/27/13 8:56 am - Canada
Hi. Krista

Im guessing he is testing for h.pylori my gastro dr tested me for this when i had my scope done. Before i started the rny process.
It can be done via blood work or a swab sample during a gastroscope.
If HP is found u will be put on a dose of antibiotics and than retested. Sometimes a few does of anitbiotics is needed. (As in my sisters case she needed meds x3)

Hope this helps
renau2e
on 3/27/13 9:09 am - Canada
RNY on 05/07/13
Do you have a history of ulcers? Then like the previous lady said, it's probably for H Pylori (which can be a bacterial cause of ulcers)

Referral sent-  Feb. 4, 2013   Referral received-  Feb. 14, 2013  Orientation- (HRRH)- Mar. 7, 2013   Sleep study-  Mar. 9, 2013   Meet Surgeon (Dr. Klein)-  March 21, 2013   SW/RD/RN- Mar. 26, 2013  Dr. Glazer-  Apr. 3, 2013 Surgeon Appt. (book surgery and pick up Opti)- Apr. 16, 2013  Start Opti- Apr. 17, 2013 PATTApr. 25, 2013   Surgery!!! May 7, 2013

Highest Weight- 345 lbs   Post-Opti/Surgery Weight ????    Goal Weight- 165 lbs

kristaeb
on 3/27/13 9:27 am

Thanks everyone. I see Dr. Glazer on April 22 along with NP, SW, RD so i will know for sure then. I assume it will be for py lorie as well. I have had a hernia repair in my stomach as well so he probably seen some inflamation. I would rather be tested anyhow, better safe than sorry.Thanks again everyone... Things are still moving forward.. Take Care Krista...

LORICARD
on 3/27/13 9:37 pm - Canada

i had a test done here in kingston for stomach bacteria i think, i had to blow into this bag and then wait 30 minutes and do it again. they said if i had it you just need antibiotics before surgery, not sure if that might be the same test he's talking about.

kristaeb
on 3/27/13 11:40 pm, edited 3/27/13 11:40 pm

I checked into it today and it is for H Plori bacteria in the stomach. Nearly half the nation has it doesnt know it. Some people show no signs at all. But it causes ulcers . I contracted C- DIFF 3 YEARS AGO .,so this could be tricky to treat because of the antibiotics that are used. I may talk to my family doc and have him test me . I will get the ball rolling in case i do have it. Thanks everyone

Alice-58_.
on 3/28/13 6:13 am
VSG on 02/26/13

The H Pylori issue was my biggest hassle pre op. My H Pylori blood test came back positive pre op so then I had to go on antibiotics x 2 weeks....wait a week or so. Then had a "puff test" (swallow a radioactive capsule then in a few minutes.. breathe into a silver balloon) which I went to Kitchener for. It came back positive...more antibiotics....wait a week or so.... another "puff test" and that one came back negative. I was good to go. Just a PIA to do the running to Kitchener which is 1 1/2 hours away from me not to mention the side effects from all those antibiotics. Never had ulcer or any symptoms of ulcers in the past. I was told this "bacteria" can sit in your stomach your whole life and you won't be be symptomatic. Then something will set it off and can cause ulcers so they want to make sure you don't have the bacteria with your new pouch.

Live near Bayfield. Referral June 2011 to Windsor Bariatric Referral Center. July asked to be transferred to Guelph as closer but file got lost..  Orientation Nov 2011, Guelph. Nurse,Nut and SW X3 mid 2012. Surgeon Dec 2012. VGS Surgery Feb 26 2013 Dr Jules Guelph

kristaeb
on 3/28/13 11:56 am

I called my family doc this morning, i go for testing on Tuesday. I called Dr Hagans office first to see if i can get it checked in my home town and they said yes. I go back to see Doctor Dr Hagan May 9 so i am hoping if its positive we can get things moving. Once again though i have already had C-DIFF so i dont know what they would put me on for antibiotics , if the antibiotics takes all the good flora out then i may have another episode of C-DIFF and it is not fun to go through. Well i will keep my fingers crossed and hope its negative. Thanks for your help.

anewstart
on 3/30/13 7:18 am - Canada
Good luck Krista!
Most Active
Recent Topics