New arrival on the bench with questions!

Sarahs_journey
on 4/8/13 4:16 pm - London, Canada

So, I had my roux en y surgery onFriday and came home Sunday night!  I have been up walking and passing gas out of both ends. I feel no desire to eat or drink but I have managed to get 2 L of fluids in.  And nearly 2 premier protein shakes each 24 h period.  Problem is I get exhausted fairly quickly and feel achy everywhere.   When should I expect to be more active?  When should I add my vitamins as I am afraid they will get stuck and what should I expect from myself in terms of progress each day? Thanks for your input!

sarah

"Nothing is impossible; the word itself says 'I'm possible!"
Audrey Hepburn     
Anna1963
on 4/8/13 7:09 pm - Meaford, Canada
RNY on 02/16/12

Hi Sarah welcome to the bench.  You need to rest too that is why you are achy you need to let your body heal.  It takes a few weeks when you will be more active.  Every day you will improve just do what u can and keep sipping it helps out a lot. You can call your center to ask them about the vitamins but i do believe i took mine from the beginning.  Please keep us updated and Take care

Anna

Sarahs_journey
on 4/8/13 9:21 pm - London, Canada

Thanks for the reply!   Was splitting vitamins good enough for you to be able to take them?  

JJ_
on 4/8/13 7:40 pm

Welcome to the bench!  Congrats on getting your fluids in.  That is the very first job that is a must.  Congrats as well for getting in close to 60 mg of protein (2 premier protein shakes).

As to being achy and tired.....you just had major surgery.  Your body has gone through a lot and you were probably in positions on the operating table, etc. that your body is not used to.  As well, the gas that is coming out can cause achiness.  As to being more active, you should be able to walk around your house and if you are up to it, a bit outside too.  Then go and have a nap if you are tired.  As each day goes by post-surgery, your body will heal more and then be ready to take on more.

I was given vitamins (crushed or liquid) when I was still in the hospital.  My instructions were to take them right away.  I had purchased chewable multivitamins ahead of time.  So the next morning of being discharged I was working out that schedule too.  (It is a bit overwhelming getting your fluids, nutrition and vitamin schedule down at first).

Good luck with your recovery period.

Judy

Sarahs_journey
on 4/8/13 9:22 pm - London, Canada

What kind of vitamins are you using?

JJ_
on 4/8/13 9:33 pm

My multivitamin now is the Costco senior brand (has no iron so I can take my calcium with it and take iron separately). - 2 per day.  Initially I used the O'Purity brand of bariatric multivitamin that also included the B12 - it was a chewable.....only needed one per day as it was huge.  I did not care for the taste of any of the chewables and opted instead to split the pill up and swallow smaller pieces.

I use Webber sublingual B12

Iron - Feramax - 2 pills

Webber calcium citrate with vitamin D - need to take 6 pills daily (split into 3 servings of 2 pills)

Vitamin C - 500 mg. one per day

Nanato2
on 4/8/13 9:24 pm, edited 4/8/13 9:24 pm - Canada
VSG on 02/12/13

Welcome to the bench. 

Remember to sip, sip, sip and walk, walk walk as for feeling exhausted this is normal you just had major surgery and your insides have been rearranged plus you are not eating.

Everyone is different so how long it will take you to be more active depends on you and how you heal and how much protein/food and fluids you are getting in for me it was a month.

Regarding the vitamins you should be taking them now you need to get the chewable kind or get a pill crusher to crush them if they can be crushed.

Good luck. 

Referral- March 2012, Letter April 19, Orientation TWH- June 6, NP - July 3, Sleep Apena test July 16, Internist and SW  - July 17, Nutritional class - July 23, Dietician appt. July 30th, Psych-Social appt - Aug 20th. Follow up with doctor sleep apena Aug. 28th  Surgeons appt. - Dec. 14th Dr. Jackson. Surgery date - Feb 12 2013 - VSG   

Dreamalittledream
on 4/8/13 10:28 pm - Canada
Applesauce was my saving grace early on (I'm now 4 weeks out); split my Tylenol in 4 (less bitter than if you cru****) & took with applesauce...this after absentmindedly swallowing a while Tylenol which got stuck; awful feeling. I too take Opurity multivitamin (Opurity Cal Citrate too) & have been successfully able to just chew and swallow those...you could use applesauce with those too if needed.

Ottawa ~Referral Mar 2011~Orientation Aug 2011~Meet w Nurse May 14, 2012~Dietician/Behav/Abdo Ultrasound July 5, 2012~Colonoscopy Aug 8, 2012~Dietician#2 Aug 30, 2012~Endoscopy Nov 9, 2012~Pre-op class Jan 2, 2013~ Meet w Surgeon Jan 8, 2013 ~Start Optifast Feb 15, 2013 ~Pre-Admit. Mar 6, 2013 ~SURGERY March 8, 2013 (RNY/ Dr.  Raiche)~Post-op Class/Follow-up appt. April 25, 2013

Dreamalittledream
on 4/8/13 10:30 pm - Canada
Oh and wanted to add...soup was my saving grace early on too (esp. Butternut squash; I would add unflavored protein to it).

Ottawa ~Referral Mar 2011~Orientation Aug 2011~Meet w Nurse May 14, 2012~Dietician/Behav/Abdo Ultrasound July 5, 2012~Colonoscopy Aug 8, 2012~Dietician#2 Aug 30, 2012~Endoscopy Nov 9, 2012~Pre-op class Jan 2, 2013~ Meet w Surgeon Jan 8, 2013 ~Start Optifast Feb 15, 2013 ~Pre-Admit. Mar 6, 2013 ~SURGERY March 8, 2013 (RNY/ Dr.  Raiche)~Post-op Class/Follow-up appt. April 25, 2013

Sarahs_journey
on 4/8/13 11:42 pm - London, Canada

What kind of unflavoured protein did you use?  

Most Active
Recent Topics